• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some OC Help EVGA SLi 680i and E6750 INTEL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notluzn

Registered
Ok Warrior II swapped me a EVGA 680i so I could run SLi with my 8800GTS. Now my processor needs to be clocked so I can achive 3000MHz. Overclocking is different than my ASUS PK5 board. I took a snap shot of what I'm running now. Stock Settings
computerqd7.jpg

well first off make sure you have a good CPU cooler. To be honest, I haven't seen a whole lot of 65-nm core 2 duos make that large of a jump (increase clock speed by 1 gig Hz) on air-cooling alone. Btw, why is your 2.66 stock speed rated at only 2.0?

To make a nice jump like that, you're going to have to increase core voltage up a bunch, at least to 1.3, probably 1.4, maybe a touch higher (personally, the closer i get to approaching 1.5 volts, the more i poop my pants).

Also, for me, it never hurts to have some RAM with some headroom that can allow for some linkage, I've experienced better OC results overclockable RAM

well first off make sure you have a good CPU cooler. To be honest, I haven't seen a whole lot of 65-nm core 2 duos make that large of a jump (increase clock speed by 1 gig Hz) on air-cooling alone. Btw, why is your 2.66 stock speed rated at only 2.0?

To make a nice jump like that, you're going to have to increase core voltage up a bunch, at least to 1.3, probably 1.4, maybe a touch higher (personally, the closer i get to approaching 1.5 volts, the more i poop my pants).

Also, for me, it never hurts to have some RAM with some headroom that can allow for some linkage, I've experienced better OC results overclockable RAM

Err.. I'd be shocked if he can't run 3.0 on stock voltage with the stock air cooler. You might want to read a bit here russocp, start with the OCing stickies, and continue on to some of the posts. 1ghz on air is EASILY achievable with just about any 65nm c2d.

It's probably at 2.0 because his CPU is idling, and speedstep or C1E are kicking in. His FSB is the proper 333, the multiplier is just down to 6. There's a sticky about this around here somewhere.

To run 3ghz on that processor, simply increase the FSB to 375mhz. That should be all you need to do. You might want to check the memory to see that it's either running unlinked or set to 1:1. I'm assuming you have at least 800mhz RAM here. Can you list your parts? What heatsink/fan? What memory?

good point with the speedstep, i was mistakenly assuming this chip started at 2.0 listed on his picture (not the rated 2.6). You're right ratbuddy, air cooling is definitely doable for 1 ghz increase. What i meant to say was that i haven't seen many rigs with a 1ghz increase on stock air cooling. (sorry for the gaff). Im not always a huge fan of stepping up the voltage with stock cooling to acheive large increases in speed.

But anyways, back to the original question...you can definitely do this all through the mobo BIOS. In fact, the G0 revision procs are quite the efficient little buggers, notluzn, so you could push it even past the 3 ghz mark if that tickles your fancy. But like ratbuddy asks, what heatsink do you use?

For some reason CPUz is showing it at 2.0 ghz and everything else is showing 2.667ghz. Weird. I had it at 3.0ghz with my ASUS PK5 board. I just don't know how to overclock this EVGA Board. My last board had a FSB at 379 or something like that and 3.012ghz. This new board has something totally different in it's BIO's.

I just need to bring it from 2.667 ghz to 3.0+ ghz

good point with the speedstep, i was mistakenly assuming this chip started at 2.0 listed on his picture (not the rated 2.6). You're right ratbuddy, air cooling is definitely doable for 1 ghz increase. What i meant to say was that i haven't seen many rigs with a 1ghz increase on stock air cooling. (sorry for the gaff). Im not always a huge fan of stepping up the voltage with stock cooling to acheive large increases in speed.

But anyways, back to the original question...you can definitely do this all through the mobo BIOS. In fact, the G0 revision procs are quite the efficient little buggers, notluzn, so you could push it even past the 3 ghz mark if that tickles your fancy. But like ratbuddy asks, what heatsink do you use?
I have the Stock Heatsink bur I have quite a few 120mm fans on the case to move air. Never had an issue so far with heat. :) TG. I will up to a better heat sink soon though just because. :)

As far as the FBS, the old board would show 375MHz FBS but this board shows 1333 MHZ FBS in it's BIos changing settings. I will post a picture of what Im looking at when I get home.

Ok what Im allowed to adjust is the Rated FSB 1333mhz. what do I go up to to make it to 3.0ghz? do I lower the Multiplier to 7? it's at 8 stock

We did a few tweaks with the Voltage also. Rated FSB is 1500MHZ and CPU is at 8X. 3.00 Ghz is what I wanted it to run at and thats what I have. The CPU temp after gamming a bit was 42deg C

No problem Jeff. :) Oh the 42C is sweet! :thup:

We increase the CPU voltage, looking into the BIOS... set/ reboot/ recheck
He was getting a terrible vdroop on the cpu volts. set 1.32 getting 1.27.

I think he is now @ 1.31 - 1.32 actual cpu voltage.
ALSO.... his vdimm was below 2.0v.

Now running between 2.15 & 2.2v vdimm.

Had him run some bench test while on the phone & nothing locked up
or froze.
He's going to do some "flight simm" testing & see how his new SLI works out.

Basics guys, remember your basics. We all forget them at times.

:attn:
WII

Ok I just tried out FSX and set it to target 35 FPS. This is what I got. Full AA

Non SLi: 17FPS
Running SLi: 31FPS

Back