• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some pro advice (rig for my boss)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

akin175

Hi, i'm Charlie, i'm new to the forums. i've read alot on this forum and finaly decided to join. So i got a project i need help on, and i thought this would be the place to look.

My boss has tasked me with Building him a hardcore new computer.

It needs to be blazing fast, reliable, and able to run 3 monitors

here's what i've chosen so far for parts if you have a suggestion for something better let me know. Price isn't really a big concern as long as it meets the requirements.

Motherboard: $205
Ram: $239
CPU cooler: $57.99
6core CPU $230
Best PSU $280 KIngwin alt at 200
2 640g 6gb/s hard drives for raid 0 $140
sold state drive 128g $215
Awsome case $199

Now i haven't choosen a video card but i was thinking a Radeon 6870, but i don't know if a single card will work. He wants a standard dual display setup for a couple 23" monitors on his desk then a 40" monitor to watch tv on or display drawings for multiple people to look at mounted on the wall. The tv part will be ran through a tv tuner card and a blue ray disk drive in this computer.

Also any opinion on what the best monitors clarity wise and least eye damaging are for reading and staring at schematics all day are let me know.

Any advice would be much appreciated

- Thanks

Last edited:
Grrr, cant read links (on my end). List out the parts plzzzzz.

Well, I manually checked the links..

1. Why a 1.2KW PSU for a single GPU? Truthfulling a quality 550W PSU will be fine, however if he wants to expand, a 750W would be great like Corsair AX series, or Seasnoic X series. Build him a great PC dont rip him off! :p

As far as waiting... you can play that game forever. Sandybridge is out and if your boss is ready to buy, buy.

If your boss can wait, have him wait until April and make him a rig with AMD's Bulldozer processors. Otherwise, what will he be running? I doubt he'd be running Crysis or anything with NVIDIA Surround or Eyefinity :D. For work, a quad core would do it. He would probably only use 2 cores. The 6850 would be best but if he want more power, get a 6950 and unclock it to a 6970 for no cost. The 6950 is a good $40 cheaper so it's the best deal on the market. I believe you can also do that with the 6850.

Grrr, cant read links (on my end). List out the parts plzzzzz.

Well, I manually checked the links..

1. Why a 1.2KW PSU for a single GPU? Truthfulling a quality 550W PSU will be fine, however if he wants to expand, a 750W would be great like Corsair AX series, or Seasnoic X series. Build him a great PC dont rip him off! :p

As far as waiting... you can play that game forever. Sandybridge is out and if your boss is ready to buy, buy.

Well the first reason would be future proofing, second i was thinking about dual video cards if couldn't run the monitors like i wanted with just one. third it will have all the darn plugs i want :thup: I'm sure a 750 would run it all great i have a kingwin 750 in our server actually.

If your boss can wait, have him wait until April and make him a rig with AMD's Bulldozer processors. Otherwise, what will he be running? I doubt he'd be running Crysis or anything with NVIDIA Surround or Eyefinity :D. For work, a quad core would do it. He would probably only use 2 cores. The 6850 would be best but if he want more power, get a 6950 and unclock it to a 6970 for no cost. The 6950 is a good $40 cheaper so it's the best deal on the market. I believe you can also do that with the 6850.

Oh hmm i haven't heard about the bulldozers yet, seems i need to go research. It might be able to wait till then. We work from his office in his house and this is his personal / work computer. We run some crazy programs to do millions of calculations and all kind of stuff that can take advantage of quad cores atm but they always upgrade them to take advantage of new tech. The thing is i'd like 4 cores to do that and the other 2 to be available to run the regular windows office programs and internet while its running those other programs for 8+ hours, so the computer isent useless while its doing that stuff.

Well the first reason would be future proofing, second i was thinking about dual video cards if couldn't run the monitors like i wanted with just one. third it will have all the darn plugs i want :thup: I'm sure a 750 would run it all great i have a kingwin 750 in our server actually.

Oh hmm i haven't heard about the bulldozers yet, seems i need to go research. It might be able to wait till then. We work from his office in his house and this is his personal / work computer. We run some crazy programs to do millions of calculations and all kind of stuff that can take advantage of quad cores atm but they always upgrade them to take advantage of new tech. The thing is i'd like 4 cores to do that and the other 2 to be available to run the regular windows office programs and internet while its running those other programs for 8+ hours, so the computer isent useless while its doing that stuff.

Things like Excel or a calculator won't even use the power of a full core. If he wants a 6 core, make him fold.

What program is your company using that needs all this power? The parts you picked out are very much overkill unless you're going for a 3d workstation or really nice gaming computer. Hey if your boss has money to burn and no overhead to worry about by all means buy the best.

Things like Excel or a calculator won't even use the power of a full core. If he wants a 6 core, make him fold.
I don't want to argue with you but i think you think i'm writing letters to dear Abby and using the windows calculator to add up how many stamps i need this week and making excel sheets to graph how many daisies i sniff a day.

When i talk about windows office programs i mainly mean Access, excel, word, and adobe acrobat. Our access databases get up to 3 Gigs and have millions of entries which to my understand and the message in the bottom left corner in 2010 it utilizes more then one core when you do like a ctrl F through that big of database. Our excel docs have like tons of entries too. Our PDFs are of some schematics (5000x3000) that are insanely huge and are colored.

The calculators we are using aren't some joe blow chump programs we are Nuclear PRA engineers we run some crazy stuff that runs 4 programs at once to do tons of calculations a second, and require 4G of ram and a 2.8 dual core min. and at that it ussualy runs out of memory and takes like 8 hours so our min in the company is now 8G of ram. Since we upgraded to Quad cores and 8 gigs of ram we got it down to 4.5 hours
Please don't downgrade what i'm building the computer for, we are trying to get things done quicker and more efficiently cause we are up to our eyeballs in work. Plus the cheaper we get this kind of stuff done, the cheaper the energy cost is in the end for everyone.

PS its for gaming too.

A little touchy there arent we? Nobody was downgrading anything you're doing. You just didnt supply enough info for a real answer rocket scientist.

I swear a quad core can still handle that. You're just looking for an excuse from what I see. Trying to make your boss cough up some money I see :p.

A little touchy there arent we? Nobody was downgrading anything you're doing. You just didnt supply enough info for a real answer rocket scientist.
Not really, its not like i was yelling i even tried to make some jokes.
I swear a quad core can still handle that. You're just looking for an excuse from what I see. Trying to make your boss cough up some money I see :p.

Yeah, it probably could, that's why I'm asking for advice. I don't know how good the 6 cores really are, or if they are necessary. So your opinion is i should just ditch the 6 core and run the 965x4 like i run?

Last edited:
Back