• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Suggestions On My Loop(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

808MP5

Registered
Original Post Here.http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6641820#post6641820
It's in the hardware section... Yeah I know wrong section. So Maybe I Can Get More Responses Here.

Hello...
Ok so i'm open to suggestions on my loop(s).
I got just about everything i need to start my loop(s) except for fittings and a few more blocks. I can fit about 2 more 120mm radiators on the bottom and 1 120mm above the PSU or 1 240mm radiator on the bottom and 1 120mm above the PSU if needed or suggested . Also don't mind adding two more pumps if necessary to get the water flowing. I do plan on using a lot of 90deg fittings to get most of the hoses in straight lines. I want the entire wc setup internal.

This is the second water cooling setup i'm doing to this case. I can hack more holes to add more radiators. The first wc setup I did to this case was several years ago and wasn't well thought out. And about 6months later I sold off all the wc stuff for a new build. Lol heck neither was this one. You can see what has been done to this case here http://minezonecomputer.mypicgallery.com/. That's the exact case i will be using minus all the junks inside.

Please no bashing the newb

So Far Here's The Plan
*green = Got it or already ordered
Main Hardware:
Case:
//Lian Li PC-70
Update Case: MM Accession CYO

CPU:
Intel i5 670 Engineering Sample

Mother Board:
Asus Maximus III Formula

Video Card(s):
SLI Configuration:
--GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI
--GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI

Power Supply:
CORSAIR Professional Series AX850 850W

System Memory(RAM):
2x Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Storage:
OS RAID 0 Configuration:
--OCZ Vertex 2 40GB
--OCZ Vertex 2 40GB
Files RAID 0 Configuration:
--WD VelociRaptor 300GB
--WD VelociRaptor 300GB
Files/Full Backup:
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Cableing:
mod/smart Kobra Cable 24pin Motherboard Power Extension - UV Red - 8 Inch
4x mod/smart Kobra Cable 6pin PCI-E Extension - UV Red - 8 Inch
2x mod/smart Kobra Cable 4pin P4 Extension - UV Red - 8 Inch
3x ModRight CableRight Single Braid 4-Pin to Dual Sata Connector Adapter - Green

Cooling:
Air Cooling:
13x Scythe S-Flex D

Water Cooling:
CPU Block:
Aqua Computer Cuplex Kryos HF for socket 1366/1156/775

Northbridge/Southbridge/Mosfet Block:
ex-blc-715

HDD Block:
Koolance HD-60
Koolance HD-60
Koolance HD-60

System Memory(Ram) Block:
4x Koolance Ram-33

GPU Block:
2x Koolance VID-NX460 NVIDIA GTX 460

Radiators:
2x Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 120 Radiator
Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 240 Radiator

Swiftech MCR360-QP

Tubing:
15' Tygon R-3603 3/8" ID (5/8" OD) - Laboratory Tubing

Fittings:
3x Koolance Sliding 180-Degree "U" Connector CNT-MEAU
2x VL3N-F10-16S
2x VL3N-MG

Resevior(s):
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump / Dual Split Reservoirs

Pump(s):
2x Swiftech MCP355™ 12v Water Pump
2x Swiftech MCP355™ 12v Water Pump

Coolant:
Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid - 1000 ml - UV Blue
Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid - 1000 ml - UV Orange

Water Loops:
Cpu:
>
Swiftech MCP355™ 12v Water Pump
>
Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 240 Radiator
>
Aqua Computer Cuplex Kryos HF

GPU(s):
>
>
Swiftech MCR360-QP
>
Koolance VID-NX460
>
Koolance VID-NX460

NB/SB/Mosfets/RAM:
>
>
Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 120 Radiator
>
ex-blc-715 Full Board Block
>
Koolance Ram-33
>
Koolance Ram-33
>
Koolance Ram-33
>
Koolance Ram-33

HDD:
>
>
Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 120 Radiator
>
Koolance HD-60
>
Koolance HD-60
>
Koolance HD-60

I know there's a lot of extra uneeded blocks and what not.

Last edited:
What CPU? You probably don't have enough radiator to start with.

Please do the math for your heat load. It's in the sticky. Then decide on what radiators and fans will give you the temps you require.

Don't need to cool the ram, mobo or HD. Cooling the ram and HD is a absolute waste of time and effort. No one in the 'know' does it. Maybe the Mobo down the road, just for the fun factor, but you DON'T need to.

Don't use any liquid but distilled water and a biocide. Unless you want staining, clogged blocks, and poorer performance than distilled water. You want colored water? Get colored tubing.

thanks for the response. yeah i read a lot of posts on cooling the mobo, ram, and hdd... i understand it's a dumb idea but i figured i'll just be dumb about it and do it anyways... processor is a i5 670 es so the heat load shouldn't be all the bad just about 95w if extremely overclocked. i do plan on overclocking eventually just for the fun factor but most likely will leave everything stock. with this wc setup i'm going mostly for looks but want the wc to be fuctional.

if i do use distilled water i'll probably go with that and some redline water wetter... it's been nothing but good to me in the past

But why? The $$ you save from buying the block/fittings for the RAM/Mobo loop can be diverted to a better rad/CPU/GPU block/pump, etc.

If your planning to OC, then a better rad/pump or loop is in order.

yeah... i understand that it's pretty much useless cooling the unecessary stuff but i'm going to do it... the money has been spent on the ram, hdd, and mobo blocks already... i don't mind dumping more money on a few more radiators and pumps if need be... i will be overclocking but not for normal use...

as for cooling the GPU... i'm still unsure if it's going to be possible... haven't received the cards yet in the mail and i still need to see if i can fit full blocks on both of them. also forgot to mention that everthing in green has been already purchased.

ok... i'll probably ditch the feaser fluid... i do have a 120.2 radiator so i guess i got the cpu covered. as for the mobo, ram, and hdd i'm guessing the two 120.1 radiators can cool that... and i'm certain i can fit another 120.2 on the bottom of the case and another 120.1 above the psu to cover the gpu... now will my 4pumps handle all that action?

as mentioned i don't mind putting two more pumps in the loop... and how should i split the loop(s) if need be?

Last edited:
Redline water wetter:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259199

Okay, cooling all of that is going to make for another terribly cluttered rig like your last one. Your stuff.

4 pumps? Why?

thanks for the link... water wetter is a bad idea... lol as you can tell it's beeen over 4 years since my last wc build...

yeah last one was way cluttered... that's why I plan on using a lot of angled fittings to get most of the hoses straight... i got 4 pumps because i was planning on doing a lot of 90deg fittings and from what i've researched is that I will lose head pressure/flow from doing so. But mainly wanted to make sure i could get everything flowing properly. Tried looking for the skinneelab flow calculator but it's no longer available. rotating 90's and short tube cuts and block jumps should help with the clutter

Last edited:
I don't think that's gonna help much tbh...the sheer amount of tubing is gonna be enough that it'll look like a plate of spaghetti if you cool all of that.

hehe..... i'm going to try my best... the layout i have planned doesn't seem like it's going to be that bad.. straight lines will look a lot better then spaghetti loops even if it's cluttered. at least in my head... we'll have to wait till i have everything mounted in it's location... i'm going to try and manage... my main concern is if my pumps will handle everything. would i get away with using a single 120.1 to cool the hdd, ram, and chipset/mosfet? I'm getting a lot of responses but nothing that's really helping except the one post about the water wetter and suggestions on coolants

i'm looking for more of resevoir>pump>block type response, dual loop, triple loop, single loop, quad loop lol
hypothetically... if it was yours how would you do it... yes i said hypothetically cuz i know most wouldn't agree with all the nonsense that i'm trying to do

I would put all of the non important stuff on a single rad (ram hd etc.) those don't need much cooling, but I would split the loops and maybe you could cut down on pumps. Check out the mcp355x and the 655.

the 655 is good and can handle pretty much styff hung up to it but the 355 with an aftermarket top can do the same with use of less space so pumpage your covered

since you seems to be pretty determant on doing everything i would do like Peeved suggested the none important stuff on one loop and then cpu and gpu in seperate loops
just my 2cents
also i would try to route the tubing so that you can get them as close as possible to eachother and get a tad cleaner look
the same goes for the cabeling

think i'd go for one big loop with a bank of pumps. It'd probably be the neatest because you could just run across the edge of the case with tubing sorta......it'd also take the cooling capacity that would be wasted on the board/ram/hdd and lend the extra to the cpu and gpu. That said, you need raddage...120.3 for the gpu's, 120.2 for the cpu, 120.2 or so for the rest of that junk (mostly just don't want the mobo to hurt your cpu temps)...remember, the more rad, ther better all your temps are in a single loop.

thank you all for the great advice
the hdd, ram and chipset block in/out's are pretty much right next to each other... the 4 ram blocks will be connected in series using the koolance u-connectors so it will only have one set of in/out ports.

so one loop is looking like
(xspc dual resevoir w/2x mcp355's) reservoir>pump>reservoir>pump>120.1>hdd>chipset/mosfets>ram

and second loop is looking like
reservoir>pump>reservoir>pump>120.2>120.1>cpu>gpu>gpu

or a single loop combining the two loops above... all the radiators can fit close to the top of the case with the exception of one that has to be mounted above the psu facing the back

from reading hardforum... essentially a good 120.1 radiator can dissipate 150w which should be sufficient enough to cool the hdd/ram/chipset/mosfets i'm guessing

also test fitted a 120.1 SR1 at the bottom of the case... i can probably get away with a 120.1 or 120.2 but i won't know for sure until i get my video cards in the mail

also used the extreme power supply calculator to get some wattage estimates... came up with
cpu overclocked 4200ghz v=1.5 (yes i pretty much over shot the voltage to get a higher reading) and 2x gtx460 768mb came out to 376w - 38w = 338w
so
cpu+gpu(s) = 338w
4x mcp355(s) = 72w / 2 = 36w per loop if separated
chipset/mosfets = 100w (guesstimate)
hdd(s)/ram = 100w (guesstimate)
for a total of 610w (estimated)
divide that by 150(120.1 radiator size) i get 4.0666 120.1 radiators needed for sufficient cooling

so even if i put that all in one loop i should still be ok...
if anyone else can think of a way to guesstimate how much wattage i'll be putting out with all the blocks i'm listening... btw googled tdp for the gtx 460 768mb cards and there supposed to be 150w each so something might be a little off with the extreme power calc

Last edited:
your loop order is...wonky.
res->pump->res will make one pump do literally nothing. You should run it res -> pump -> pump. The 2 pumps back to back act as one pump.

your loop order is...wonky.
res->pump->res will make one pump do literally nothing. You should run it res -> pump -> pump. The 2 pumps back to back act as one pump.

it's the way the xsps dual reservoir is set up... essentially it's two reservoirs next to each other... the one pump will spit into the second reservoir... let me try to google a pic
http://www.xspc.biz/manuals/ddcbayrestwo.pdf

i understand what your saying... but can't do it with the current hardware... i was trying to consolidate the pumps and reservoirs together... and opting for ease of installation

or i could simply ditch the second reservoir and attach the second pump directly into the out port from the xspc reservoir and get the reservoir>pump>pump

*update...
just got my video cards in the mail... took off the stock cooler and reference the board... the gpu blocks are a go but will have to wait till next friday's paycheck... then i'll get the rest of the hardware needed hopefully... until then i'll just start laying out loops and see what fittings i will probably need

Last edited:
So, I'm being a fanboy because I have one of these hanging off the side of my case.

Raddage gallore: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21622

I want to do 2 pumps with mine soon, I'm running it CPU only with one mcp655 and my flowrate is right about 1.53 GPM. Two MCP355's may do you right.

Also think about this when building your loop 90 degree fittings nukeE flow rate, be careful not to destroy your cooling with bad flow rates.

I want to build a custom radbox for mine.

well...putting em back to back will do literally nothign, so you're sorta stuck with 2 loops at this point. Alternatively you could get a dual top and ditch the xspc as you said.

i debating if i can just plug the out port from one side of the reservoir directly to the in port on the other side... according fcpu "Single loop systems can use two pumps for maximum flow rate simply by connecting the out port of one pump to the in port of the next." using the xspc dual res/pump

essentially no pressure is lost doing it that route since it's sealed... either that or i'll ditch the second xspc dual res/pump and get two separate xspc tops and connect the in ports directly to the out ports of the reservoir to get the two pump series configuration...

Last edited:
Back