• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to buy a Great DDR2 AM3 mobo for 1100T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gilmour

Registered
Hi everyone! I have a Phenom II x6 1100T. In a cooler master elite 430 mid-case I have a ASUS m4a785-m mobo that is micro ATX and has a 4.1-phase based VRM design. Now the poor mosfets (with no heatsinks) doesn't keep up the power of the 1100T under 10min full load and the system lowers to 1.7 ghz instead of regular 3.3ghz. No matter if overclocked or not, it does not seem capable of keeping the heat spread over. The cpu cores cooled by a Zalman CNPS10 Extreme run in regular 45°C under full stress. Now I need a new mobo with these features: ATX, and capable of keeping up with the "1100T beast" :p Now I also have 8gb Kingston HyperX 1066mhz RAM and I wanna still use it. I think it's good memory and I wanna keep it. So I might need a AM3 mobo with ddr2 support. And, mostly, IS 8+1 PHASE ENOUGH FOR KEEPING MY 1100T ALSO OC'ed? Or do I need 8+2?? That's the only reason why I'm changing mobo.
I have found those:
M4A78-E;
M4A79 Deluxe;
The second one is better, is 8+2 phase and costs more. I don't wanna spend 200€ (I live in Italy), cuz' I don't have them right now. BUT, I think i could spend 130€ needed for the first mobo listed right up. Now, can u guys please suggest me some other very good-gaming mobos with ddr2 (yah, i know it's kinda of old) and AT LEAST 8+1 phase? Thank u all guys, i'm confused :p

I think you're gonna find that socket AM3 motherboards require ddr3 memory.
You can find am2+/am3 boards that support ddr2, but they will give you the same problems that you have now.

Last edited:
Such a beast does not exist.
AM3 requires DDR3.
If you want to use DDR2 you're stuck with an AM2+ mobo.

(I think, right at the beginning of AM3, there were a couple DDR2 boards. I haven't seen or heard of them since, and that was years ago now)
(Second sidenote: AM3/AM2+/AM2 boards are really AM2+ boards. Real AM3 boards requre DDR3 and only fit AM3 or (some, maybe) AM3+ cpus)

Wait a minute, guys. It is possible the OP may not be referring to a socket AM3 board that uses DDR2 but a socket AM2+ board that is compatible with an AM3 CPU. Those certainly do exist.

Gilmour, why not just add some aftermarket heatsinks to the mosfets and stick a fan in the area of your existing board. Guys do that all the time and it works pretty good.

If you insist on getting a new motherboard then look for one with the 790FX chipset.

Wait a minute, guys. It is possible the OP may not be referring to a socket AM3 board that uses DDR2 but a socket AM2+ board that is compatible with an AM3 CPU. Those certainly do exist.

Gilmour, why not just add some aftermarket heatsinks to the mosfets and stick a fan in the area of your existing board. Guys do that all the time and it works pretty good.

If you insist on getting a new motherboard then look for one with the 790FX chipset.

Yep, i meant those mobos. On ASUS site the mobos that i listed are on the AM3 section. They mount a socket AM2+(940pins), compatible also wihe AM3(931pins). anyway, I've already tried to put a fan blowing on mosfets, but it doesn't fit in my case. :( there's no space cuz the CPU cooler in huge and takes all the space i need for doin' that. So there's no choice, gotta change my mobo. If i take a 8+1 at least, i will solve the problem. right?

and what brand/speed do u suggest? Would like some good stuff, I play sometimes and overclock too

Don't wan something extreme, I am happy with a 1333ddr3 or 1600 too. but 2000mhz is way too much!

Back