• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to upgrade memory, not sure...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phatty2x4

I've got an ASRock x79 Xtreme9 and 3930k cpu. Currently I'm running a set of G.Skill 16gb(4x4gb) 2133mhz found here.

Long story short, I'm doing game development and I'm running out of memory. I never thought I'd max out 16gb, but I am. So I'm curious....

If I add 2x8gb sticks, does that disable quad channel all the way around? If it does, could I run 4x8gb along with my 4x4gb and run fine? I was looking at this set, but I noticed that the voltage is different from my current set... 1.6v, my current set is 1.65v. Is this going to be a problem?

I can just grab another set of the same memory, but if I can upgrade to 48gb, then I will. I don't want to fill all the memory slots and then possibly have to upgrade again down the road. I guess another option would be to buy the 4x8gb set and sell my current one, but I'd rather keep it if possible.
I've had this system a little over 2 years now and I never thought I'd need to upgrade my ram, but here I am... :shock: Thanks.

Just grab 4x4GB of the same set again. Or grab 4x8GB and sell the 4x4GB.
You want your RAM to match.

I went ahead and ordered another 4x4gb set. Hopefully 32gb will be enough...

Thanks.

Back