• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need you to build me a gaming rig under $2000!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I♥GFX;5901655 said:
It doesnt matter whether or not the eyes can see 60fps max, I clearly notice the difference between 60 and 100, just open up Half-Life Episode 2 and you'll see how beautiful and smooth it is @ higher frame rates.

And for the record, stop passing the whole 60fps thing on cause you read it from somewhere, ask opticians, its not true.

i totally know what you mean with the 60/100 difference,
if people only saw things in 60fps then it would be a pretty dull world.

i'm a little late to this party but i understand where your comming from, i try to ride my computers for as long as i can but i eventually upgrade bit by bit.

think of it this way, if you get that set up you can always go to an i7 later on down the road, as for the rest of it thats kinda up to you but i still understand.

a little while ago i got a bunch of crap for getting 4 gigs of ram "oh you'll never need that much" or "your getting that video card to replace your 8600? it'll hardly be worth it" and it was even after they have had all their little internet opinions....well guess what. some times its best not to listen and go with your gut feeling. then ask all the questions you want because you already have the hardware, i do but there generally, how do i get an extra 100Mhz out of my processor sort of things.

also another prime example of not listening is the lower res = more cpu stress theroy, the 60FPS theroy that we discussed earlier and the smaller monitors wont see a gain in performance between 1 brand x gpu or 3 brand y gpu's.

the last one gets me, its not the size of the monitor its the ammount of pixles on the monitor

LOL we are on the same page then. I truly don't understand the FPS and the monitor size theories either. They are tested and proved false. Also many benchmarks I read constantly show results of high-end cards like the GTX280 performing better on higher resolutions like 1920x1200, because of GPU bottlenecking being prevented since it can work at higher clocks and almost become parallel to the CPU. Thats true if you have an a great quad-core CPU for example, you need to make sure the hardware isn't bottlenecking one another. On the other hand, imagine pairing up a Celeron 430 1.8GHz single core with a monster GTX280, you're GTX280 is going to be sleeping while the CPU catches up (and in this case, lower res is better).

Anyways, I truly don't want to buy an x48 setup, I feel like it's getting old. My current X48 setup is decent, but I'm not happy with how old the hardware feels (just a mental thing, I'm nerdy I guess).

If I buy an i7 now I'll be ahead of months on in, maybe years if Intel decides not to ship anything new out. And yeah, I totally agree about the question thing. When you ask if you should get it, they say no (some support you). When you don't listen and get it, they ask questions and answer yours!

i7 probably will be nothing later, as well as a GTX260/280. Lol, people used to tell me dual-cores are useless and I should stay with single core.

I'd say wait to build for a few more months. Then the GTX295s will come out, and more Core i7 CPUs will be out as well, and probably more motherboards. This is just the beginning, and I don't think spending this much money on a really new platform is a good idea this early on. I mean, do what you want as it's your money, but waiting just a few months would probably be the best idea.

Where did you hear more i7s are coming out?

I'm definitely buying hardware slowly now, with my CPU, MB and GPU being the last thing, cause I really want to see the prices of the GTX295.

I dont think they are i7's, just different processors. Most of the bottom ones look weak (TDP wise) and the others look like they are for servers.

I♥GFX;5901655 said:
It doesnt matter whether or not the eyes can see 60fps max, I clearly notice the difference between 60 and 100, just open up Half-Life Episode 2 and you'll see how beautiful and smooth it is @ higher frame rates.

And for the record, stop passing the whole 60fps thing on cause you read it from somewhere, ask opticians, its not true.

for most people over 60 fps looks really terrible. (including me)

the reason for that is because I usually do not game on my crt(still love that thing).

You see most lcd monitors have a max refresh rate 60 fps. so when you go over 60 your screen starts to blend 2-3 frames into one which gives you horizontal lines on your screen. This is what vsinc is for. I have gotten pretty used to just setting vsinc for all of my games because it looks so much better.
Also even if taring did not happen the majority of people (those with 60hz refresh rates) would see no difference between 60 and 1000 fps.

It is a shame that i7 had to happen:bang head it makes things harder when deciding on a new build. I decided to stick with lga775. But for you I would suggest the i7 build because you do not want to upgrade for a long time.

so now you know that most people who say that they can see the diffrence between 60 and 100fps are full of... silly things

it is not that your eye cannot see the extra 40 fps it is that your monitor cannot display them

so now you know that most people who say that they can see the diffrence between 60 and 100fps are full of... silly things

no they are not actually, you make the assumption EVERYONE uses LCD''s and just because LCD"s are limited to 60FPS DOES NOT mean people are, which has been proven over and over and over, so the only person fill of silly things is you because you refuse to let a "MYTH" die., provide some facts as to your 60FPS "myth" and we can talk.

the original 24/29 FPS myth was only beleived because that was what TV and movies were at, but television / movies uses a blending method to go between frames giving the appearance of a smooth transition, computers dont work like that.

okay but guys, look at when they built their last rig, 2003... so obviously this person doesnt upgrade every year, they upgrade every 5 years, why go i7?? so you can upgrade your rig over the next 5 years instead of buying into a basically "dead" socket that may get a couple mionor cpu upgrades to it if we are lucky. Where as I socket will likely still be going in 3+ years.

I'm also looking for a $2000 gaming rig. Mr.Guvernment hit it right on the nose. I've always been a budget builder and have always gotten screwed with the planned upgrades I was supposed to do a year or two after the build. This time I just want to get everything up front and either upgrade if it's an option or or completely rebuild with no regret 4 years down the road.

Here's a system I've put together after doing about an hour of research (no monitor since I already have a 24"):

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=11802308

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK - Retail

OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound - Retail

EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR GeForce GTX 260 Gore 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM

Current pricing from newegg ~$1600

That leaves plenty for a monitor or any extras (RAM, HD for storage, extra cooling, etc).

I'm also looking for a $2000 gaming rig. Mr.Guvernment hit it right on the nose. I've always been a budget builder and have always gotten screwed with the planned upgrades I was supposed to do a year or two after the build. This time I just want to get everything up front and either upgrade if it's an option or or completely rebuild with no regret 4 years down the road.

was starting to think no one saw my post, now i feel all warm and fuzzy in side..lol

sure if i7 was coming out in 6+ months, i would szay buy 775.. but really, what is the line up for the next round of 775 CPU's? anyone? what more can they get out of it.. and a new CPU for 775 wont be dirt cheap if they do release one cause they want everyone on I7.

i7 is here, now, i just hate to see someone drop $2k into a rig now, and then in say 2-3 years say "hey i would love a faster cpu - DOH! i bought 775, too bad!" where as i7 sure you may spend a few hundred more now.. but it saves you spending ALOT more in 3 years when your rig is crawling and you cant upgrade much for it...

upgrading or adding some new ram or vid card or cpu to 775 would be like someone upgrading an AGP card in their AMD x2 rig now.... performance gains would be minimal

for a person who upgrades every 3+ years i7 hands down for simply having options later on with out having to buy a whole new rig.

I♥GFX;5910387 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150330

That XFX is better than the EVGA, much higher clocks and same price after MIR. Core is 90MHz higher and memory is 302MHz higher!

And why not get the Asus P6T deluxe and save yourself $100...

Sure, you can swap out whatever you'd like. Like I mentioned in my initial post, I only spent about an hour (plus I was at work) putting together that list.

I'll look into the motherboard and video card you recommend, thanks for the tips. Are there any other suggestions on that setup? I'd like to get my order in today and hopefully get everything by Tuesday.

Mr.Guvernment said:
for a person who upgrades every 3+ years i7 hands down for simply having options later on with out having to buy a whole new rig.

a person who upgrades his pc every 3 years has a seriously outdated pc and it's not worth it to upgrade just 1 item, it's better to upgrade the whole system so what you're saying doesn't make much sence imo.. anyways for 2k bucks i'd buy i7.. just my 2c

I think the first commandment of the system building bible is Thou Shall Not Build for the Future. Seriously. Every month something new is coming out. It's almost pointless to spend more than $1k to build a system and for what? 1 game?

For $1000 you can build the system in my sig to play ALL current games like FC2, FO3, L4D on max (except 1 game, Crysis. Wow. )

$2k is a waste of money. Unless you are gaming while editing HiDef movies and doing autocad all at the same time.

Sugar honey iiiiiiiiiiiiiiced tea, games haven't even caught up to Quad Cores yet.

you cant build for future, but at least with i7 socket, they could possible toss in a 6 or 8 core CPU in 2-3 years, they got plenty of room for ram upgraded past 8G's and video cards will still be PCIe..

many people have upgraded their 3 year old 775 systems with a new cpu or vid card or ram so sayin in 3 years time it isnt worth it.. is hard to say, as in 3 years, will intel have a new socket out already... and even then... it would be better to have i7 over 775 cause 775 they will have zero options to upgrade vs i7.

a person who upgrades his pc every 3 years has a seriously outdated pc and it's not worth it to upgrade just 1 item, it's better to upgrade the whole system so what you're saying doesn't make much sence imo.. anyways for 2k bucks i'd buy i7.. just my 2c

its not that its out dated its weither it can keep up or not.
i ran my 2400+ for 3 to 4 years

After a bit more reading, I changed the system up a little bit. The P6T does seem like a nice compromise in features and price and I don't plan on doing an overclocking past air. I still don't know which I'll go with when I actually add to cart, but for now I have the cheaper. I switched the DVD burner to a Pioneer that has great reviews from CDFreaks. I switched the vid card because you are right about the clock speeds. I also don't think I'll keep it so I don't need the EVGA warranty. I'll probably upgrade to the GTX 295 when vendors stop ripping people off.

Any other suggestions on this new build? I'll probably place my order tonight. I♥GFX, how's your setup coming? When do you plan on ordering?

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=10154006

$2k is a waste of money. Unless you are gaming while editing HiDef movies and doing autocad all at the same time.

Sugar honey iiiiiiiiiiiiiiced tea, games haven't even caught up to Quad Cores yet.
Its not my problem if games arent up to my hardware. Didn't ask for a debate between price, I'm giving a budget and need a system built under it. How do you know I wasn't given $2000 in gift cards? I have the chance to waste this money, don't hate on me for it, as I certainly wouldnt attempt convincing someone out of spending $2000 on their computer, especially if I dont know the story behind the money. Just support my decision, please.

Any other suggestions on this new build? I'll probably place my order tonight. I♥GFX, how's your setup coming? When do you plan on ordering?[/url]
I'm ordering January, after the 295 releases to see if current 260/280 prices drops. I also dont know why you're getting a soundcard, p6t deluxe mobos have Creative soundcards built it, just try them out first...

i7 920: $300
EVGA or P6T (debating): $300
Dominators XMS3: $230 (can probably buy G.Skill and save $50+)
Dell or Samsung 24": $300-400 (still yet to decide which panel to go for, but I know it has to be 400 candelas)
Seagate 500GB: $70
Antec 1200: $160
Razer Lachesis Phantom White: $80
Logitech Illuminated 9.3mm keyboard: $80
Corsair 750W: $100
Logitech 5.1: $70
Thermaltake 120 Extreme: $80
LG 22X: $25
GPU: Unknown for now

Got the keyboard and dvd burner off giftcards so far...

Last edited:
okay but guys, look at when they built their last rig, 2003... so obviously this person doesnt upgrade every year, they upgrade every 5 years, why go i7?? so you can upgrade your rig over the next 5 years instead of buying into a basically "dead" socket that may get a couple mionor cpu upgrades to it if we are lucky. Where as I socket will likely still be going in 3+ years.

This. LGA775 is at the end of it's lifeline. Sure, he could build a rig right now, with say an E8600, and 4gb of DDR2, but say he becomes an overclocker, and gets that itch in 18 months for a faster CPU, he's pretty much screwed. He'd have to replace just about all of his core components, just if he wanted to upgrade his CPU. He spends the money to get an i7 setup now, he's ready for the future if he wants to upgrade something.

This myth has been busted a MILLION times, stop saying it, it is not true.

I've always gone on the assumption, of the human eye only being able to detect 60fps. Now, I'm not saying your wrong, I do believe you, but could you provide a link or something proven otherwise for my own edification?

I've always gone on the assumption, of the human eye only being able to detect 60fps. Now, I'm not saying your wrong, I do believe you, but could you provide a link or something proven otherwise for my own edification?

Someone else posted this link before:

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

It describes some tests done with high fps and other stuff. But note they did those tests with 'extreme' color levels, very bright vs very dark. Those are much easier to notice at high fps than frames in games. It really depends on how much change there is between frames and how trained the person's eye is.

In a game though, unless that game is designed for and has the goal of 'notice the one very bright or very dark frame within many frames on a completely opposite colored, static screen, at high fps', then no, you won't really notice the difference when you go beyond 60-100 fps or so max. After 60 it becomes much more difficult to notice and after ~100 it's near impossible.

Once again though; the tests in the above link are done in extreme difference of colors, this isn't how games actually are. There are flashes and special effects, ofcourse, but none that last for only 1/100th of a second (they each have animations of several frames at least) and their color difference from the rest of the screen isn't as much. Question is, how much $ is the difference in 60 to 100 fps worth? Some people think it is worth it even if there's almost no difference; they just like 'high numbers'.

Back