• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

neoprene and condensation proofing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve978

Ok well Dow Corning sent me a huge bottle of conformal compound, I got a bunch of sheets of neoprene of varying thicknesses, and dielectric grease. Now with the confromal compound How much should I put in the socket center if any? How can I stick the neprene to the motherboard? can I use super glue or will this damage the motherboard somehow? Do I actuallly put the dielectric grease inside the pins this sounds kinda... not good... Thanks in advance, and oh ya what seems to be the best way of clamping a heatsink fan to a peltier to a cold plate to a socket.

dow corning: you do need it inside the socket as well, as well as around the socket, and on the back of the CPU area of the motherboard. Basically all areas that might be cooled to sub ambient.

dielectric grease: yes, you do squeeze it into the socket holes, while means the CPU pins will get greased.

neoprene: best not use superglue. some superglues can eat away plastic... stickytape? bluetac? :p

clamping the coldplate+peltier+HSF: not sure at all, I'd suggest using screws or bolts between the coldplate and HSF base.

What peltier, HSF and CPU are we talking about? Just want to make sure your setup will work...

Cold plate is 1/4 inch copper, 220 watt peltier, ThermalRight SK-7 or SLK-800 depend on which works... maybe neither, If they dont Im gonna use it for water cooling but I figured I'd give it a try. How are watts measured? is that an amount of heat or what?

watts (Joule/second) is a measure of energy/time, it is used to measure power. When we talk about the number of watts from the processor, it is the heat output that we talk about.

In the Peltier's case, the number of watts is the heat pumping rating of that peltier. (It is not the power draw of the peltier, as that is quite a bit higher than the peltier's heat pumping rating. For example, a 220w peltier's max rating is something like 15v, 24A, which is 360w that it draws.)

For peltier cooling, people have found that the peltier's rating should be around 2x that of the CPU's heat output. This means that a 220w peltier can be used to cool CPUs with up to around 110w of heat output, if the peltier is cooled adequately.

The setup you're thinking of would work, but if you air cool it, you'd have to use it on a processor of 80w or less, as swiftech has a peltier heatsink very similar to what you are planning, and this is the performance graph of it: http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/mcx462/operating_range_chart.jpg

As you can see, even with a 80cfm fan, once the CPU's heat gets above 85w, the temperatures just start shooting up. You can go here to work out the heat output of your planned overclocked CPU: http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html If the heat output is more than 85w (likely), it would be best to abandon the aircooled TEC cooler idea, and get a peltier supporting waterblock.

I can see my plans just wouldnt be practical I guess I'll be investing in a water cooled setup soon :D apparently my CPU would put out 85 watts and thats a 2500xp @2300 stock voltage

Back