• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

network card question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

is one network card better than the other ?? or does it make no difference... im comparing a linksys to a davicom ... the linksys is a version 5 of the lne100tx .. the davicom is revision 1.. any ideas ??

at the consumer level on a standard network I don't believe it would really matter. The only way the speeds would be different if you got like a 10/100 or a 10/100/1000 card and you have all gigabit hardware and then it would only be noticible when transfering large files. If it's wireless your concerned about I can't really say beacuse I dont have any experiance with wireless stuff

As for wired network, then just about everything you find on 100mbit speed is ok. Then only difference tests have shown, is related to cpu usage. But the difference here is still small.

Personaly I've never had problem with either known nic's, generic ones or onboard ones.

As for wireless, it's a different story. Stuff don't have to talk together.. Argh! Yes, I tried to set up a wireless network, but after bad speeds, dropped connections and a lot of anger, I got back to good solid things. Wires that is!

Oh, anyone reading this has good options for gigabit cards? Gonna wire up my entire house this summer, so research is a long process.. I'll have a server with RAID1+0 for safety and speed over a gigabit network where everything will be stored. But I need some input on ok nic's..

Veland said:
Oh, anyone reading this has good options for gigabit cards? Gonna wire up my entire house this summer, so research is a long process.. I'll have a server with RAID1+0 for safety and speed over a gigabit network where everything will be stored. But I need some input on ok nic's..

Yeah, if your gonna do this here is one tip I have heard, only get a gigabit NIC for your server and don't bother springing for gigabit nics for all. It's kinda like rivers, all the waters going to the server so it's gonna need a huge canal. But unless you got large files actually going to your client PC's your not gonna need that huge bandwith on their end, this will save you from having to purchass a load of gigabit NICS.

unless he transfers large files from one pc to the other....which people do. Say, a friend comes over...and happens to have gigabyte, and you two do games...and your freind happens to have 6 gigs of mods for your favorite game :)

Back