• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network + Certification, How to get it? Trainsigna;

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MechX2

Registered
I want to get my Network + Certification,
I have a book (but its old, from 2003) heres the link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...ils?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1258792398&sr=8-1&seller=
Now should I read this book and just take the test? I don't have much Networking knowledge, or any other resources, I also came across this web-site called TrainSignal, Has anyone used it? http://www.trainsignal.com it seems good, but is it really going to prepare me for the test so I can pass it? I am not looking for an easy way out, but I would like to be able to get this certification without compromising too much of my lifestyle. I don't have so much time to myself, mainly just at night when I get home I have some time on the computer and hour or two which I can instead use more productive, such as prepping for this exam. So what do you recommend?
The book? Another book? Trainsignal.com? or another means?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Network+ is pretty easy. I pretty much just read a book and aced it. I did have a modest understanding of networking back then too.

As for trainsignal, I've used the CCNA training videos with Chris Bryant, and they're actually really good. I'd recommend them, especially if Chris Bryant is the instructor.

I imagine you would need a much more updated book, as that one is almost 7 years old. In 7 years, you'd have missed a LOT, and that book will probably just let you waste the testing money. Go to Amazon, buy a current year book ( if you can find the 2010 cirriculum, bonus ) and study the heck out of it. If you can get your hands on some kind of network simulator ( I'm using Packet Tracer and Dynamips for the CCNA exams ) the repetition involved in working out the problems goes a long way to remembering, at least for me. There are training courses out there, but you probably won't want to take a week off to just go learn this unless it's going to be a big portion of your next job/current job.

If you work for a IT firm/department, consider asking them to help you out with it, while we are on the job bit. Most IT employers will at least give you token help to increase your skills, it's worthwhile for them. On the other hand, a retail job like Sears or something will probably just look at you funny.
Hope that helps steer you in the right direction.
-Drew

I did some research and it looks like Chris Bryant (Not Kobe Bryant) is in fact the instructor, Seems pretty interesting, So I think I am going to give TrainSignal a go, Do you think it would be all I need to Ace the test, I catch on to this stuff pretty decently, Or do you think a sit down of a book reading is much needed? Also Drew, after reading your post, The book that was next to me a minute ago, is now thrown across the room to collect dust :) I think if I go with a book I will pick up http://www.amazon.com/Meyers-CompTI...=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258792430&sr=8-9 , looks pretty decent. I don't work at Sears right now Or at an IT Company, so this is just a single step I am taking so I can change career paths, to something I would be more happy doing. I do want to get A+ Cert but to be honest I feel like its just as useless as a High School Degree now a'days. Thanks for the advice though. I'm glad I am not the only Night Owl on the forums.

Do it man.

If trainsignals Network+ prep is anything like their CCENT prep, I think you should do fine. However, it definitely won't hurt to read a book too.

Network+ was the cert that got me in an IT career. I too skipped A+, but now I'm debating taking it just because I know I could probably pass it without much studying at all. A+ does look good to some employers, and it shouldn't be over looked. Then again, depending on your level of knowledge, your time could be better spent studying for some of the above entry-level certs.
Good luck.

Well that advice means a lot to me! Thank you. I am gonna just do it, and then take the test, if I fail, I'll go back and read a book :) Maybe you'll see me on here soon with a cert under my belt :) Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

Heh, good luck. And no, I'm not a night owl, I'm just in Iraq at the moment, so for most of your day, I'm asleep :)

I just needed to lose some weight, and my friend said, hey I know someone with a great plan, they'll even pay for it!

......so here I am :D

lol funny, I guess now you didnt just lose weight but you can probably kick some *** as well!

Well that advice means a lot to me! Thank you. I am gonna just do it, and then take the test, if I fail, I'll go back and read a book :) Maybe you'll see me on here soon with a cert under my belt :) Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

You might make a lot more out of the training if you read the book first (not just thinking of the certificate, but the bigger picture)...

Well, I will be quite honest with you, I enjoy reading, but Little bits at a time. I really enjoy having someone teach me, So watched 5 of the 17 Videos so far from TrainSignal, and there going pretty smoothly. The first two videos were cake, and the other three have new information to me but pretty easy to understand. I enjoy the classroom learning experience without reading chapter after chapter. So CCNA sounds pretty cool, And its on TrainSignal, http://www.trainsignal.com/Cisco-CCNA-Training-P3.aspx But will it be as easy to grasp for me? Probably not, considering it seems like a lot more information to learn, and a lot more to understand. I think I am going to finish these videos and take some practice test, if I do well I will take the exam, if not I will read some lit :cry: & depending on how well these videos really train me, I might end up trying out TrainSignal for CCNA, but I might try Security + first.

As for trainsignal, I've used the CCNA training videos with Chris Bryant, and they're actually really good. I'd recommend them, especially if Chris Bryant is the instructor.

How did this work for you? Did you just watch the Videos for the CCNA, or you did some book reading with it? & is 397 a good price for these videos? The Network + Videos only cost me 297.

I'm in the same boat. I'm here in Afghanistan, about to come home in 15 days. I'm doing courses online to help get me prepared for when I start school in February for my Certificate in IT Infrastructure Security. I'm then going to apply those credits towards my Bachelors in IT. So hopefully, I can have a little bit of everything under my belt by the time I get out of the Marine Corps in 2011. A little security, some network administration, and a little overall IT. I hope that is course of action will make me a valuable asset to a willing employer :D

Last edited:
Heres a list of the courses available to me through the Marine Corps :) I plan on taking as many as I can. These courses range from 2 hours to 8-10 hours per section s they are very thorough and have great examples!

qxuux0.jpg
and it continues:
2r5au1h.jpg

Are these only available to you as a Marine or training for your unit or is this something I can find or purchase online?

Semper Fi!

Back