• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 8800GTS and OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frozenwings

Heya, I just got my 8800GTS in today and I'm already OCing the SOB. As of right now I have it OCed to 675 core, 1566 shader and 1000 (2000 effective) memory. With 90% fan speed on I never get higher than 68 while artifact testing with ATI tool (ran for over 30 minutes) and rarely higher than 64-65 while gaming regularly. Is this a safe OC or sould I drop it some. I saw an almost 2000 point increase in 3dmark05 from stock settings so I'd like to keep it there but won't in fear of frying it.

Also I have a schedule set up on Rivatuner where it will auto OC the Core and Memory and turn the fan up to 90% in 3D mode, then drop back out to stock settings outside of 3Dmode. Let me know if that is safe to do, switching back and forth like that between speeds. I just don't like OCing the crap out of it when all I'm doing is web browsing.

GPU cores can handle I believe it's 137C before they start throttling, in most cases all you have to worry about is instability.

Sweet, I just rigged up together 2 80mm fans and have them angled down over the back over the card to help cool the back of the card. Not sure if that helps at all but whatever can keep this thing chugging along.

I never had much luck with having fans blowing over my cards, maybe it was the design of the stock HSF on the card. But I install an exhaust blower below my video card when I had a 7600GS and that did drop the temps, you could feel the hot air it was pumping out. The blower is now sitting in the slot below my 7900GS.

I crashed after about 3 hours of gaming today. I clocked the memory down to 1900 from 2000 and haven't crashed again, probably more stable there :p

Yeah I have a P180 case so the PSU is on the bottom. There is only about 3 or 4 inches of space between the bottom of my mobo area and the video card. I found that a TON of heat gets trapped down there. So I put the 2 80mm fans at an angle pointing up and away from my motherboard and they are doing a good job of sucking the air from under the card and blowing it up toward my rear 120mm fan. I'm not going higher than 60C now in 3dmark06 and haven't seen higher than 62 in anything else after hours of gaming.

I also got a 9940 in 3dmark, which I don't think is too bad for an AMD CPU.

Back