• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 8K7A. Huge problems. Did my research... would appreciate any suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well guess what guys... it turned out to be the ram afterall. Which explains the fsb and other problems. Can't believe it but both of my sticks are bad. One of em can run at 100 FSB most of the time, but still crashes a lot. The other one is next to completely defective.

I ordered some Crucial PC2100 today... never going NEC again.

Thanks again for all your help.

Glad to see your problems were taking care of :)

Will you update everyone when the new memory comes in?

Oh ok

Well I wish you luck with it :)

I'm still in the stage of buying parts :D

Yes but not completly until 2004.

I. Restructuring of the Electron Devices Business

Converting to a Business Structure Centered on to System LSI

With regard to the DRAM business, for the time being NEC will continue to supply DRAM produced mainly at NEC Hiroshima, Ltd. for Elpida Memory, Inc. (Elpida). However, NEC will transfer this business to Elpida and will withdraw from this business except as a shareholder of Elpida around 2004.

http://www.nec.co.jp/english/today/newsrel/0107/3101.html

Here's an update if anyone cares. I got my Crucial ram yesterday and sure enough, my problems are a thing of the past. My system is 100% stable at default, no problems whatsoever!

Haven't tried o/c'ing yet... just ordered some stuff for a watercooling setup and will probably hold off until I get it all.

Thanks again to all you guys and a big thanks to Crucial :)

Congratulations :)

I probably will be buying the same board so I'm glad everything is ok :)

Thanks man :)

Yeah, I can't tell you how happy I am with this board so far now that I can actually harness the power of my Tbird! My only gripe is the jumpers (for when you want to adjust voltage, etc), but I can live with it. Considering all the pro's this mobo has, it's not that big of a deal.

I had bought the Asus A7A266, got everything hooked up.. and couldn't install any OS either..
I took out the DDR ram and tried some SDram (only extra ram onhand) thank goodness it had slots for both :)

and everything worked perfectly... so either the ram it self of the dimm slots were messed up

I have the 8K7a+ and I can tell you to watch out for the multiplier dip switches, they tend to hang between settings and give false reading to the bios and mobo monitor.
also I have Crucial PC2100 DDR in my setup but I cannot OC to the same speed I am getting now by going with a lower multiplier and higher FSB, it is the weirdest thing, I am totaly stable at 1632Mhz on my 1.4 using 12x136 but if I try to get to 1632 by any other combo it wont work......what the hell is the deal ?

Back