• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AM1 25W Quad processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I pretty much see no point of these series ... it's like finding a way to use 4 core atom. For about the same price you can get haswell based pentium which is faster and has not much higher wattage.

Socket AM1? Is there a motherboard out for it yet? Tried looking on Egg but their website is having problems at the moment.

There are 8 motherboards listed on the egg for socket AM1. 4 of them are micro-itx and the other 4 are micro-atx.

I have a little tiny µITX case that has a built in 60w PSU. This is exactly what I need for it.

I like this idea.

25w is considerably lower than what AMD has previously been able to come up with in laptop chips I believe so I can certainly see an application in that sector for this chip. To have a quad core CPU in a laptop that makes only 25w of heat would give nice battery life and reasonably good performance at 2.0 ghz. Not an I7 for sure but a lot less expensive as well.

25w is considerably lower than what AMD has previously been able to come up with in laptop chips I believe so I can certainly see an application in that sector for this chip. To have a quad core CPU in a laptop that makes only 25w of heat would give nice battery life and reasonably good performance at 2.0 ghz. Not an I7 for sure but a lot less expensive as well.

I wish to see it compared to something like 1.6-1.8GHz Pentium or Core i3 that are specified for 17W max.

yea I saw this today and that combo kit, I just wish you could make your own combo and use the Athlon 5350 instead of the quad Sempron.
the only thing that disappoints at this price is none of the mobos have a PCI ex 8x or 16x option, they are all just 4x. most of these mobos also don't have any sort of chipset so it looks like they finally wrapped it all up in the CPU like they had been trying to do for a while, that explains the low numbers of sata and usb on some of the boards too.

question though, could you do an intel combo, meaning case, cpu and mobo, for the same price?

I've been wanting to do an ITX bulid but I wanted it to be able to play some games...

Intel will cost more but will be faster.
Celeron 2.7GHz / haswell ~$50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116974
H81 ITX board - ~$60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157451

I don't know what case as this Coolermaster cost ~$50 so in total it will be ~30% higher price.
That AMD combo deal makes it cheaper but I bet they could make something similar based on Intel.

I wouldn't look at CPUs TDP as AMD gave 25W for every 2 core and 4 core CPU from these series while Intel gave 54W for 2 core Celerons, Pentiums and i3 so I bet that this Celeron is using less power.

Still on both platforms you won't play anything newer without better graphics card.

Nah tdp isn't important to me at this point. Starting to gather a surplus of parts that will transfer over. I was thinking of jamming a 5770 in it for now but even with that the horse power isn't there for the processor to make up for the short comings.

Is this series replacing FM sockets? Or is this something else to compete with the up and coming "affordable computing" market?

It almost seems to me that it's too combat competition from things like raspberry pi and other single board setups. I mean the mobo alone is 35 bucks the processor is almost the same and all these prices will go down in time when it matures. I bet not too much further diem the road you'll be able to pick up a set up for closer to raspberry pi prices

I think that prices won't go down. Probably in the same price will be higher version of CPU. Lowest Semprons were always for about $35. Later higher model was replacing that cheapest one but I wouldn't count on $20 or cheaper CPUs.

If you want something for games then I doubt that AMD will be enough no matter what gfx card you put there. I was trying to play on Pentium G2020 in last year and it was total minimum for most games and I saw much lower FPS due to CPU speed. Now you have Celerons/Pentiums at 2.7GHz+ that are faster core to core than previous generation.

Looking at AMD performance which is about 30% lower core to core, Sempron/Athlon 1.3-2 GHz will be probably 50% slower than Celeron/Pentium 2.7GHz+ even though some AMD have 4 threads.

Last edited:
From what I've read, one of (what AMD hopes will be) the big selling points is the separate board and cpu. So if you don't like what you're getting out of your current combo you can upgrade without replacing both. Can't do that with Atom. This would also cover your *** if either the board or the chip (but not both) eat themselves in a power surge or something.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/68473-amd-athlon-5350-28nm-kabini/

Athlon 5350 2.0GHz review with comparison to mobile chips and other APU.
Performance +/- the same as 1.5 (1.9 turbo) GHz Core i5 2 core/4 threads. All who were testing these mobile intels know that it's nearly impossible to see them work at max turbo clock as they need 1 core operation for that and system is never working at 1 thread.
Actually I'm more disappointed by graphics performance than CPU. With beter graphic chip it could be good for some 720p gaming like in most cheaper laptops.

why did they think single channel DDR was acceptable in this day and age.

oi...maybe in a few months time or a year they'll add that back in with maybe an 8x or 16x PCI ex 2.0 slot....

in all honesty it wouldn't have cost them much in cost or wattage to put dual channel in

Back