• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AM1 25W Quad processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
True, but in all honesty, their top end AM1 product is the same as a laptop part, the a6-5200, they just bumped the clock speeds 50mhz and made it a socket instead of a soldered on deal...

Dual channel means a bare minimum of 70 more traces on motherboard and CPU (likely more, lots more), all of which need to be within a mm or so in length.
That's expensive in design time and in layers of PCB, which are expensive as well.

That's my guess as to why single channel. When you have a tiny tiny PCB like the PCB package PCB, fitting an extra 70+ traces in there is rough.
Cheap!

Plus the IMC eats power, half the channels means half the memory-related drive transistors firing per memory clock. (Roughly)

So the only thing cool about it is to say it's a 25w quad then?

Uhg, my cell phone gives that Sempron 3850 a run for it's moneys.... that's sad.

would pairing these cpus with an r9 280x be a bottle neck for the graphics card? im actually thinking of using these processors for my sister.

Yes, but as always with bottlenecks you'll still get higher performance with that CPU and a high end card than the same CPU and a lower end card.

why did they think single channel DDR was acceptable in this day and age.

oi...maybe in a few months time or a year they'll add that back in with maybe an 8x or 16x PCI ex 2.0 slot....

Oh no, sounds like a repeat of socket 754.

If true that would mean there would have to be some other platform to replace AM1 within the next couple of years.

Not saying AM1 can't work, but if all of the processors on this socket type are targeted at low-power and low-clock speeds, then it will be pointed at a very specific market. Good for HTPC use I guess, and maybe a few other scenarios.

Might not be a problem if FM2 is sufficient for the rest of their users (or FM2 and AM3+ assuming it isn't EOL'd).

With a given CPU, a faster video card will almost always give better performance than a slower card, even if the faster card (or both) are bottlenecked by the CPU.

Exceptions can be found when you're comparing a 780TI to a Titan, being powered by a Socket478 celeron.

Oh no, sounds like a repeat of socket 754.

If true that would mean there would have to be some other platform to replace AM1 within the next couple of years.

Not saying AM1 can't work, but if all of the processors on this socket type are targeted at low-power and low-clock speeds, then it will be pointed at a very specific market. Good for HTPC use I guess, and maybe a few other scenarios.

Might not be a problem if FM2 is sufficient for the rest of their users (or FM2 and AM3+ assuming it isn't EOL'd).

Yea I'm waiting to see if they are before I go forward with any of my mobo / cpu upgrades out builds. I might jump on the combo if my friend truly has a 40% off coupon for New egg

Now I'm starting to think that I could test AM1 ... ASUS AM1I-A is available for about $35 but Athlon 5350 is not that cheap - about $70 in local stores, it should be cheaper for what it offers but then AMD would have to pay customers to get rid of Semprons.
I'm wondering what with overclocking on this platform.

Edit:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_am1_overclocking&num=1

looks like no fun

Last edited:
Back