• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Bay Res. at Danger Den, VERY nice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skahtul

I am sure that everyone has seen this but I ordered one. It is so much nicer than the old ones. This one is 3/8" thick plexi glass, that is very thick stuff. It also has very nice chrome barbs and 2 places to put LED's in the back. I used the LED mounts for my system and they work great.

You can check it out
HERE

Last edited:
That's no different from the others they used to sell, except it has metal barbs. They're calling them "high flow" barbs, but...they're the same size as far as I can tell.

johan851 said:
That's no different from the others they used to sell, except it has metal barbs. They're calling them "high flow" barbs, but...they're the same size as far as I can tell.

I edited my post. 3/8 not 1/4 walls.

Nope, they are not the same. They use a 3/8" wall, much thicker. Plus they have the LED holders, very nice. And the chrome barbs look way better than plastic.

They are a lot nicer than the older ones. The only problem I had with mine is that it doesn't fit in the bottom two bays of my PC-61 with my Corsair Pro. So I'm going to have to mod it. (my rad is in the top two bays)

isisfreak said:
They are a lot nicer than the older ones. The only problem I had with mine is that it doesn't fit in the bottom two bays of my PC-61 with my Corsair Pro. So I'm going to have to mod it. (my rad is in the top two bays)

I actually had a small problem. It was to wide for my case. I had to take off a tiny bit of the face (the side) to allow it to slide all the way into the case so it would line up with my other CD-ROMs.

skahtul said:

I actually had a small problem. It was to wide for my case. I had to take off a tiny bit of the face (the side) to allow it to slide all the way into the case so it would line up with my other CD-ROMs.

I had to do that to all of the sides of my old typhoon res. But, I contacted them and they replaced it.

slater3333uk said:
Just make sure you dont get a single bay version. Nothing but trouble!

what kind of trouble have you had w/ your single bay res? just curious cause mine's been fine but it's probably case differences...runnning mine in a TT Xaser Classic (basically, a chieftec dragon)....but i jus tgot one of the small DD res' for my other set up...don't think i need a huge res....

Jarhead7236 said:

what kind of trouble have you had w/ your single bay res? just curious cause mine's been fine but it's probably case differences...runnning mine in a TT Xaser Classic (basically, a chieftec dragon)....but i jus tgot one of the small DD res' for my other set up...don't think i need a huge res....

Well my main complaints were that

1. You could not fill it in situe
2. It did not do a very good job of bleeding when in situe (bubbles got cought in the top and did not have time to rise)
3. If it was not 100% full the outlet to the pump caused turbulance which sucked in air but it would not bleed very well when it was 100% full

Basicly it was ok when out of the case but when put it in the case it was impossible to use and due to the design of my system couldent take it out and fill it. One guy said that they are spose to be pulled out of the front of the case to fill up but mine would not do that cous the tubing snagged.

Its a good job i only got it off ebay for £5 (put it back on and got £12 :D)

Just generaly its the poorest design for a res i can think of. A dual bay version is better as it eliminates points 2 and 3.

slater..

slater3333uk said:

2. It did not do a very good job of bleeding when in situe (bubbles got cought in the top and did not have time to rise)
3. If it was not 100% full the outlet to the pump caused turbulance which sucked in air but it would not bleed very well when it was 100% full

Basicly it was ok when out of the case but when put it in the case it was impossible to use and due to the design of my system couldent take it out and fill it. One guy said that they are spose to be pulled out of the front of the case to fill up but mine would not do that cous the tubing snagged.

Just generaly its the poorest design for a res i can think of. A dual bay version is better as it eliminates points 2 and 3.

slater..

The tubing snagged, sounds like your routing of the tubes and not the Res. My DD Res bled my system in 2 minutes and the trick is to tilt the whole case back (just a tiny bit) when filling it up, push in the res and turn on the system. Works perfect for me. It "does" need to be filled up all the way or you do get air through the lines every once in a while. Mine (and the 2 other I have used before) works perfect.

Last edited:
i didn't have any problems with my res...i filled it whle mounted and bled my system pretty quickly (have the criticool, also)....hopefully, when i install the other one, it goes just as smoothly....

slater3333uk said:

slater..

I had the same problems. number 1 is reasonable enough, and no big deal.

mines fine for bleeding, but it then creates bubbles by sucking in ANY surface air near the outlet. IMO they should put a small quarter inch overhang about 2" from the outlet so it creates a vaccum near the outlet removing the chance of creating a whirlpool down to the barb. downside is greater resistance.

a dual bay would be nice. the led... eh. I dont feel like doing all that. wiring them up ect. not like their pre mounted, wired, and resistor"ed" :p. you gotta do it all yourself.

I have one of the dual 3.5" floppy bayreses and it's very well made. I retapped the cap hole for 1/2" NPT and screwed it on the inlet of a pump for a proper res-pump. Dunno why they didn't just use a standard thread on the cap in first place (no nice caps I'll wager)

How are those barbs high flow? They are not 3/8" or something?

Maybe they used to use 90 bends in there or something.

There is no flow difference between those barbs and any other 1/2" barbs... I guarentee it.

PROkillernoodle said:
How are those barbs high flow? They are not 3/8" or something?

Maybe they used to use 90 bends in there or something.

There is no flow difference between those barbs and any other 1/2" barbs... I guarentee it.

I think they call them "high flow" (which I think is dumb also) because the metal fittings have a thinner wall thickness then the plastic, so the metal fittings would flow a TINY bit more since the inside diameter is larger. That is the only thing I could see when I compared them to the plastic ones.

pHaestus said:
I have one of the dual 3.5" floppy bayreses and it's very well made. I retapped the cap hole for 1/2" NPT and screwed it on the inlet of a pump for a proper res-pump. Dunno why they didn't just use a standard thread on the cap in first place (no nice caps I'll wager)

What is the thickness on the Bayres 3 1/2" res?

Back