• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW BIGT RADS!! MONSTERS!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
phase is nice. but the reason why im getting water is for mobility. i go to lans almost every other weekend. and i don't think a phase will be very light.

and also i have to spend enough electricity on heating my house during the winter. i don't want to spend more on super cooling my computer.

speed bump said:
I'm guessing this is fairly close to a PA in design so its just something HWlabs is doing to stay competitive although charging PA prices is ridculous, heck PAs wouldn't even cost that much except for import taxes.

Traditionally Thermochill has held a lead over HWLabs. Someone who's more up on radiators than myself would have to chime in though.

Trust me, having owned both kinds of rads, the PA is so much nicer. The PA uses some sort of thermoconductive paint that looks great but also is quite thin. The paint on the BIXs is pretty thick and not so nice. PA just has other cool features like a bleed valve and built in shrounds and things.

Phrenetical said:
one of those 4*square rads would make a sick looking side panel on the MB side, hmmmmm idea's

dam it... :(

EXACTLY what I was picturig. Actually, on my Stacker, I think I could fit 2 of those as one side panel. In fact, doesn't CM make a side panel with like 8 120mm fans already installed for the newer Stacker?! Monster idea brewing here, but I'd likely need a pump bigger than the local water company.

Edit:
N/M it's for the ugly-*** 830, but it looks like the panel would directly mount this rad if it were made
XX
XX.

I could easily do
XXX
XXX, and possibly

XXXX
XXXX

Seven said:
Trust me, having owned both kinds of rads, the PA is so much nicer. The PA uses some sort of thermoconductive paint that looks great but also is quite thin. The paint on the BIXs is pretty thick and not so nice. PA just has other cool features like a bleed valve and built in shrounds and things.

has anyone tried taking the paint off the rads? would that yield any performance increase?

I don't understand why anyone would paint the fins at all. I mean, they're all copper, right? Can't get much better conductance than that!

I really hate form over function ... :mad:

People paint fins for color. Actually, the fins don't (or shouldn't) get painted at all, just the ends of the fins.

my MCR220 looks painted but it must be very very thin, because if you look at it under good lighting the copper shines through.

So the painton the thins must be extremely thin for good cooling, so it looks black, satisfying the form, and cant hurt functionality to badly.

I had several rads painted and not painted. Did notice a temp increase with the painted rads. ( we're talking painted fins). The paint acts as an insulator trapping the heat thus rendering the rad ( which is a heat exchanger) useless.

Painted sides,top and bottom is ok, but not the fins. I get a bare metal rad and I'll paint the outer parts only. I really don't care how the fins look as they won't be seen anyways. The front of the rad will be install against the case and the back will be covered with the fans. Vice versa if the rad will be mounted on top of the case.

Back