• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Bittorrent client

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devnulllore

Registered
Hi,

We use Vuze at work to transfer huge schematics and data files but are looking for a new client now. I was looking at Bitcomet because we have 64 bit Windows 7 on all our machines and they have a 64 bit client.

Whe liked Vuse untill we realized it has a HUGE footprint takes up a lot of resources and does not play nice with many programs.

We are looking to size down I guess. We need a small fast client that will not bog down our systems. Any ideas?

Thanks,

dev

I would suggest deluge. Its cross-platform so one client for anything and it has a small memory footprint. It has a similar interface to the classic azureus and utorrent.

I would support the use of either utorrent or deluge, both seem like good options for what you are looking to accomplish.

This may be useful for your purposes if you choose deluge:
http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/ThinClient
http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq

And if you choose utorrent:
http://www.utorrent.com/help/faq

Utorrent is probably equally suitable, but the documentation of deluge is better in my experience, which means it should be easier to make it do exactly what you want it to do.

I've never used Deluge, but I know for a fact that utorrent has a tiny foot print. If Deluge is similar, I'm sure both would suit you.

uTorrent also works well for me. It's VERY tiny. Even with gigantic torrents coming in, it doesn't use anymore than 10MB of RAM.

I've had problems with deluge working with some trackers and it hasn't been updated since like oct of last year or so. Tixati works fine for me.

+1 utorrent is by far the best bittorrent client, it's ultra light and doesn't hog resources like Bitcomet or Azureus...oh and no ads.

\Thanks, I switched ti uTorrent, light fast and easy so use as well as powerfull. I am just waiting for the x64 final edition.

I use Deluge and I've seen it pump through 200/200 Mbit and hundreds of connections problem free, it's a great multiplat torrent client, open source too.

uTorrent is good as well, but I always pick OSS over closed.

I would recommend deluge because it is free software . I would not use bitcomet or utorrent because they are both proprietary pieces of software.

Transmission is also another piece of good free software but I don't believe they have a windows version.

I would recommend deluge because it is free software . I would not use bitcomet or utorrent because they are both proprietary pieces of software.

Transmission is also another piece of good free software but I don't believe they have a windows version.
I've found a lot of free but not open-source software that I think is great. It's nice when you find something open source that works well, and there's a lot of it out there, but it's hard to argue with a good, free product. Just saying that I personally wouldn't put free-ness ahead of functional-ness. :)

Just saying that I personally wouldn't put free-ness ahead of functional-ness. :)

Then we will have to agree to disagree. Software freedom is #1 in my book because if I can't share/modify/study/use without restriction then I am at the whim of someone else and I can't put up with that. Either way I personally would recommend the OP choose a free (libre) software solution vs a proprietary solution. Either way as not to derail the thread too much I feel I have made my point and will bow out. If anyone has any more questions/comments for me they can PM me.

P.S. I am a free (libre) software supporter not an open-source supporter

Back