• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GilbertC06

Ok here's the situation...

Really tired of AMD's underpowered processors so I am looking for an intel build that will last me quite a while but at the same time spare my wallet from being empty.

I've been eyeing the i5 4690k for a while but not sure if it would be the optimal proc for my needs which is: Playing high end games, video encoding/converting, Audio encoding/converting, Streaming. Since it's been a while since my last intel build I don't know if there is a newer version or which motherboards are compatible with what.

For the motherboard I'd like something that can overclock and runs pretty cool. Bluetooth and usb 3.0 are not a must but would be nice. I'm also thinking about getting a mini itx board but have no experience in them and don't know their drawbacks.

For the ram I already own DDR3 16 gb Patriots that are clocked at 1600. Not sure if they are compatible with intel boards.

For the GPU I already have a 7950. The problem here is that it is pretty huge. For example, if I do go with a mini itx board and a small case I have no clue if it will fit or not. I also am thinking about using an old CM Storm Scout case I have lying around but don't know if they fit there either.

For the PSU I would like a modular one. Something very reliable.

I'm probably gonna use the stock cooler for a while to save money but if you guys have any suggestions on that I'll take them.

So the budget is around 700-800 and that may or may not include a case (depending if my 7950 will fit.) Honestly I'm probably going to buy the parts at my local Frys since its very easy to return defective parts, so please go by retail price.

for straight gaming... the i5 is unbeatable at the moment in the price/performance category.

however, since you are adding
"ideo encoding/converting, Audio encoding/converting, Streaming" into the mix, I would seriously deliberate on getting an AMD 8 core chip. Considering you already have the setup with the sabertooth, I would sell the 6300 and get an 83x0 and overclock the crap out of it. From there you can sell the 7950 and get a brand new r9 290 which is significantly stronger.

You wont be blown away by the difference between an i5 and an 8350 around 4.7-5.0 ghz... you really wont.

Thanks for your reponse

I have considered upgrading to another AMD processor in the 8 and even 9 series, but I was afraid that it would be a waste of money and the difference would be negligible. First of all is a 4.7 OC practical? When I got the 6300 I was reading reports of a 5ghz overclock but in reality a safe overclock was around 4.4. The 4.8 in my sig ran way too hot even for a Corsair 100i.

If I'm going to spend 200 dollars on a processor I want it to be something I'm satisfied with. I'm telling you now, this proc cannot play Arma 2, struggles with cpu intensive games and takes atleast an hour to just convert videos.

Thanks for your reponse

I have considered upgrading to another AMD processor in the 8 and even 9 series, but I was afraid that it would be a waste of money and the difference would be negligible. First of all is a 4.7 OC practical? When I got the 6300 I was reading reports of a 5ghz overclock but in reality a safe overclock was around 4.4. The 4.8 in my sig ran way too hot even for a Corsair 100i.

If I'm going to spend 200 dollars on a processor I want it to be something I'm satisfied with. I'm telling you now, this proc cannot play Arma 2, struggles with cpu intensive games and takes atleast an hour to just convert videos.

Depends on the chip. Mine runs 5.0 at 1.45v all day without breaking a sweat. 4.7 is at 1.4 volts and is my preferred overclock right now. Now I have an awesome chip, but with the newer breeds of the 8 cores, it seems they are better overclockers than they used to be. The 9000's are typically wastes of money if youre gonna overclock the 8000's.

Im unsure you're computer is very well set up then. Arma 2 is an old game, my intel e5800 played arma 2 without much of an issue. "can not play" doesn't compute.

Rendering video should actually favor the AMD. Im thinking you have other issues going on, not simply a "blame the AMD" thing going on.

Better off stepping out of that ancient GPU then moving laterally to an entirely brand new intel setup with that same GPU.

Heres an Arma 3 benchmark with a non overlcocked 8350... That 5 fps drag is made up for a 25% overclock lol.

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/712/bench/CPU_03.png

for straight gaming... the i5 is unbeatable at the moment in the price/performance category.

however, since you are adding
"ideo encoding/converting, Audio encoding/converting, Streaming" into the mix, I would seriously deliberate on getting an AMD 8 core chip. Considering you already have the setup with the sabertooth, I would sell the 6300 and get an 83x0 and overclock the crap out of it. From there you can sell the 7950 and get a brand new r9 290 which is significantly stronger.

You wont be blown away by the difference between an i5 and an 8350 around 4.7-5.0 ghz... you really wont.

Bob's advice is good here. You will see a significant improvement in encoding/converting computing tasks as those apps typically utilize all the cores available efficiently and the FX-8xxx series would give you two more cores. The gaming would not improve much however. And if you have good water cooling you can often get the FX-8350 to overclock a little higher than the FX-6300. CPU manufacturers tend to reserve the best silicone for their flagship series processors.

On the other hand, if gaming is your most important useage then you would see some advantage in going with the Intel I5 if you go with the "k" series that can be overclocked. Intel significantly bests AMD in per core per clock performance. The higher cost of Intel CPUs is somewhat mitigated by the money you save on the motherboard end. You can max out the overclock of an i7 4790k on a $100 6+2 power phase rated motherboard whereas to do the same on an FX-8350 you need a $200+ motherboard like you already have.

Last edited:
Ok. Given it some second thought since buying an AMD chip would be way easier and much cheaper.

I've been overclocking the poop out of my current 6300 and managed to get it to 5ghz. Thing is, it is very hard to do, takes a lot of voltage (Atleast 1.45 vcore) and runs hotter than I would like to even with a cooler like mine. Not sure if it's even stable. What I've heard is that since the 6300 and 8350s share the same architecture, the cores would basically be the same. So while the 8350 has 2 more cores, they would essentially be only as powerful as the cores I have right now. Assuming I can get it to 5ghz, I'm not sure what kind of performance boost I will get. Not sure if it's even worth upgrading if I go the AMD route.

Last edited:
If you get the 8350, its MORE heat and power use. You would want an even better cooler (dual rad AIO). The only gain is in multi threaded applications...

...is that wise?

Edit: it is... I only read his post above, not Bob and ttents! Lol!

So lets say I want to use a video converter and leave it running. Then at the same time open up some CSGO and play.

On my current setup...

At 5ghz its doable but not stable and leads to crashing.

4.4ghz it is stable but games arent playable at the same time.

Would an 8350 make a difference? And still not convince that high of an oc is achievable on an 8350 either.

I'm serious. It really sounds like you havr other issues going on. Arma 2 being uunplayable just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm doubting your overclock is stable. How much time have you put in to testing and benching.

Do us all a favor, download geekbench 3 and Super pi. We can see how your computer is actually Performing compared to the same setups.

As I type, my computer is at 5.0 ghz at 1.42v. Rock solid stable. Many others here havr gotten similar overclocks under 1.55v easily.

My 6600k can handle arma two,playing dayz overwatch as we speak and it's a quad core on stock cooler,running 40 fps,shouldnt struggle to run the game if i can with a weaker computer.

GilbertC06, what kind of stress testing have you done to establish the viability of your overclock on the present system parts? Can you pass at least two hours of Prime95 blend? Please run CPU-z and attach some pics of these three tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. It is not common to get the FX-6300 to 5 ghz stable on air. 4.6-4.7 is more common for top overclocks on that CPU with air or AOI water.

GilbertC06, what kind of stress testing have you done to establish the viability of your overclock on the present system parts? Can you pass at least two hours of Prime95 blend? Please run CPU-z and attach some pics of these three tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. It is not common to get the FX-6300 to 5 ghz stable on air. 4.6-4.7 is more common for top overclocks on that CPU with air or AOI water.

5ghz is not my daily oc. I only played around with it now beca use of this thread. It obviously is faster than my my 4.4 oc but I admit it's not stable and only makes me look to get an i5 even more.

memoryover1.JPG memoryover2.JPG

Memory timings are off... See memory tab and spd...

You won't get 5ghz on Intel either...

The goal should really be a specific clock speed in your case, but a high stable overclock.

If you're not willing to put time and effort into overclocking, you should think about getting a non K intel. Probably a xeon would be best for you.

Memory timings are off... See memory tab and spd...

You won't get 5ghz on Intel either...

The goal should really be a specific clock speed in your case, but a high stable overclock.

How do I get the timings correct?

You need to change those same values in the bios... The first four, called primary timings.

A little off topic, but what's with the 3T command rate in the XMP profile on the spd tab? Isn't that ridiculously high for 1600MHz?

A little off topic, but what's with the 3T command rate in the XMP profile on the spd tab? Isn't that ridiculously high for 1600MHz?

Yeah, never seen a 3T before. Definitely should not be needed with only two sticks of RAM. Usually with two sticks you set CR to 1T unless you're other timings are really aggressive. CPU-z sometimes reports the SPD values incorrectly, I've noticed and especially with AMD chipsets and with certain brands of RAM. Kingston really messes with it sometimes.

Back