• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hondoxx

Registered
Ok so right now I'm on a i7920 bloomfield on asus p6t delux with 12gb of gskill. I just went out and bought a gtx 1080 g1 gigabyte gpu.

so I'm now looking to build a new system and give my old one to my kids.

All my pc will be for is Gaming like players unknown battlegrounds csgo and any newer games I might wanna play also a small bit of streaming.

so I figure I want a future proof as much as I can I wanna keep the system under 1000$ not including the videocard since I have that.

so I'm thinking

cpu-Ryzen 1600
ram-16gb gskill flare x 3200mhz
gpu-gtx1080 already purchased
case-core p3 thermaltake going to wall mount it.
cooling swift tech h220x prestige
MB-?
psu-?
ssd evo pro 960 256mb or something different as it will be just for os
ssd- something to put games on
HDD-2tb wd blue

any advice would be great.

For gaming your best bet is an overclocked Intel 7700k for the foreseeable future. It costs more but gives you about the same amount of multi-threaded performance and better per core performance than Ryzen which is important in gaming. Get a mid range Z270 board in the $140 to $175 dollar range with good heatsinks on the VRM sections. There are many good choices. Other stuff you list looks good.

For gaming your best bet is an overclocked Intel 7700k for the foreseeable future. It costs more but gives you about the same amount of multi-threaded performance and better per core performance than Ryzen which is important in gaming. Get a mid range Z270 board in the $140 to $175 dollar range with good heatsinks on the VRM sections. There are many good choices. Other stuff you list looks good.

so you would go i7 7700k do you think ill get a good 6 years of performance from that? and what MB would you suggest? also should I get a different set of ram considering that flare x is supposed to be for the ryzen platform?

Nice selection.

Are you going to OC? If not I would get the 1600X, the little extra cost is well worth the higher clock speed.

Most of the B350 boards are pretty solid but they don't seem to get memory up to 3200 so if you want to take advantage of your ram get a X370. I think with the newest updates many of them are getting there but not all. I went with the Strix 370-F Gaming as most reviews show ppl getting 3200 pretty easy. Since your case shows up the insides something like the Strix or an Aorus should look good in it.

If you want cheap but still good:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438100

Little nicer and fully modular:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438054

Would recommend something like a cablemod sleeved cable kit if you go fully modular.

Secondary ssd: Try and catch something on sale. Otherwise 850 EVO always works well.

drop the nvme drive, unless you just want it, it will do nothing for you other than at boot.
on the core p3 are you air cooling or water cooling?
if air, it's all good.
if water, make sure you have plenty of space between the wall and the back of the case, too close to the wall and your airflow will suffer.
the fans need intake air from the back of the case and exhaust to the front, it's easier for you to remove the plexi front and clean the dust off it than to try to clean the dust shadow off the wall, you will still get a dust shadow but it will be lighter and over a larger area and much harder for your picky bee to see.
I have a monster in a wall hung p5, sheeeeees, what a mistake.

drop the nvme drive, unless you just want it, it will do nothing for you other than at boot.
on the core p3 are you air cooling or water cooling?
if air, it's all good.
if water, make sure you have plenty of space between the wall and the back of the case, too close to the wall and your airflow will suffer.
the fans need intake air from the back of the case and exhaust to the front, it's easier for you to remove the plexi front and clean the dust off it than to try to clean the dust shadow off the wall, you will still get a dust shadow but it will be lighter and over a larger area and much harder for your picky bee to see.
I have a monster in a wall hung p5, sheeeeees, what a mistake.

I'm going with the swifttek h220x2 its a aio the plan was to mount on the side opposite the gpu tray going to see if I can even mount it that way I guess

- - - Updated - - -

Nice selection.

Are you going to OC? If not I would get the 1600X, the little extra cost is well worth the higher clock speed.

Most of the B350 boards are pretty solid but they don't seem to get memory up to 3200 so if you want to take advantage of your ram get a X370. I think with the newest updates many of them are getting there but not all. I went with the Strix 370-F Gaming as most reviews show ppl getting 3200 pretty easy. Since your case shows up the insides something like the Strix or an Aorus should look good in it.

Would recommend something like a cablemod sleeved cable kit if you go fully modular.

Secondary ssd: Try and catch something on sale. Otherwise 850 EVO always works well.

Looks like I might drop the m.2 drive and maybe just get a 512mb ssd to hold my games and os then get a 2tb for storage.

Yes I plan to oc.

so you would go i7 7700k do you think ill get a good 6 years of performance from that? and what MB would you suggest? also should I get a different set of ram considering that flare x is supposed to be for the ryzen platform?

You have an actual upgrade path with AM4 and pretty much none with Intel right now. If you did want to do something like replace the cpu down the road.

Right now the 7700K is a little faster and Intel is always a little friendlier to run but Ryzen has already closed much of the performance gap since release so to me its kind of a toss up.

Last edited:
Your GSkill Flare will run fine with an Intel CPU. There is some merit to the idea that with socket AM4 you have an upgrade path for the future but it's also true that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Who knows what direction AMD will go with their CPU line? The evidence we have so far is that they are focusing on offering more and more cores as opposed to higher clock speeds which probably will not benefit gaming. The existing Ryzen line offers more cores than games can utilize as it is. While it is true that there is a trend for games to more efficiently utilize higher core count CPUs I doubt that in 6 years we will seem them using as many cores as are offered on the higher end Ryzen/Threadripper CPUs so as to make up the per core performance advantage of Intel. AMD has clearly put themselves in passing lane for production workstation CPUs, however.

I see nothing bad in a ryzen build and amd has said am4 will be in production till at least 2020.
with intel it's been a new socket every time the wind blows.

Hondoxx, to expect futureproofing in a build for 6 years may not be realistic.

I personally gave up cpu only upgrading a loooooong time ago. Especially once I started building entirely new systems every 1-2 years but some people do go a long time. I don't know if we'll see the same kind of longevity the i7-920 had ever again, I still have mine running!, but AM4 at least gives some hope that in 2-3 years you could drop in something like a 2400X for $200-300 and get almost new build performance. I think anything more than that and the MB will be way to out of date with newer boards having much better features to take advantage of newer parts. Where as a 7700K in 3 years could be pretty hampered as we will undoubtedly have a new Windows by then hopefully better optimized for more cores also.

Hondoxx, to expect futureproofing in a build for 6 years may not be realistic.

yea i was starting to think that but in reality the r5 1600 overclocked to 4ghz or the i7 7700k overclocked to 5ghz will blow the setup i have currently away i have never even owned a ssd lol.

im pretty much leaning to the idea that if i go Ryzen eventually im hoping they release bios or something to get = or better gaming than the i7 7700k.

So let me ask this if i can play the games i like to play now competitivly with the setup im currently using i7920 bloomfield 12gb gskill ddr3 regular 7200 rmp hdd asus p6t delux and gtx1080 on pci express 2.0 i should in theroy Love either ryzen 5 or the intell 1700k correct?

you'll love either one, but your not going to see a jump of 30 fps in game, you'll be able to turn some of the eye candy up.
if your not unhappy with the performance of what you have, why change? if you just have the itch and can afford the upgrade that's fine also.
I game on a 4790K rig with a 1080, i can swap the card into a very old 1100T rig and if I don't turn on fraps, it's exactly the same to my eyes.
and get a big, sata ssd, it's still nice to have the rig pop through boot.

Nice selection.

you'll love either one, but your not going to see a jump of 30 fps in game, you'll be able to turn some of the eye candy up.
if your not unhappy with the performance of what you have, why change? if you just have the itch and can afford the upgrade that's fine also.
I game on a 4790K rig with a 1080, i can swap the card into a very old 1100T rig and if I don't turn on fraps, it's exactly the same to my eyes.
and get a big, sata ssd, it's still nice to have the rig pop through boot.

I can play on it with settings on very low game like pubg is like to avg 50fps instead o 30-40. And since wife gave permission since I. Giving this pc to my kids I could build myself a pc for 1000$ she don't need to k ow I already bought the gtx1080 for 480$ so I still have 1000$ to build my system without needing the gpu.

- - - Updated - - -

Also gonna sneak this in somehow

EKWB EK-KIT X360 water cooling kit.

Yes, you'll love either one. Ryzen's performance is close enough in games to Intel's that either will be a dramatic improvement over what you are using now in games that are CPU dependent.

Looks ok PSU is bigger than you will need , i like the trident-z ram my self .
I have the same SSD has been working perfect for over a year.
I have seen a few ppl hit 3.8-3.9 with the stock hsf of your 1600

Ah I was wondering why it was so much, didn't see the water kit. Good luck with it I almost got it, kind of wish I had now.

Looks good. A little pricey for the performance but your paying a little extra for nice components with some headroom. You could shave down some components like a 250GB ssd, 600 psu, 8 GB ram, cheaper MB and probably knock $300 off but what you got looks good to me. I would maybe get a better storage drive. For $25 this is much better:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Fire...d=1501983738&sr=1-2&keywords=seagate+firecuda

Ah I was wondering why it was so much, didn't see the water kit. Good luck with it I almost got it, kind of wish I had now.

Looks good. A little pricey for the performance but your paying a little extra for nice components with some headroom. You could shave down some components like a 250GB ssd, 600 psu, 8 GB ram, cheaper MB and probably knock $300 off but what you got looks good to me. I would maybe get a better storage drive. For $25 this is much better:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Fire...d=1501983738&sr=1-2&keywords=seagate+firecuda

Well I wanna keep the mb and 16gb ram what psu do you recommend?

Back