• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build after 5 years

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prometheus Xex

Greetings Everyone :)

After having my current setup for 5 years, I decided it's time for a makeover and just do a new build and use a few of the current parts. I mainly use it for editing videos I've taken in nightclubs, and have found that in the past year or so it just doesn't make the cut for pure processing speed.

My current CPU is an Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6700 (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
http://ark.intel.com/products/28028...ocessor-QX6700-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB
At the time this CPU was about $1,100+ CDN... which was a lot!

To save money (and keep the wife happy), I will keep my current video card which in an under powered (due to older MOBO ASUS P5Q Deluxe) AMD Radeon HD 7950. I also had two under powered SSD's (due to older MOBO).

This is what I'm after, so this is where I'd like some advice as I'm not overly knowledgeable on hardware.

PARTS:
1 @ ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
1 @ Intel Core i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (Turbo 4GHz) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80633i74960X
2 @ CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 Desktop Memory Model CMD16GX3M4A2666C12

Originally I was thinking of setting up a dual CPU configuration, but I believe the hexacore I'm after will not allow it. I'm wondering if I can keep my existing 600w power supply?

This is a public wishlist I made... hope you can view it. http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23978525

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I want to do my new build ASAP as this is my xmas present to me. :)

Last edited:
Remember that the 2011 processors don't come with HSFs, so you'll have to choose one to add to your build, or a closed-loop system a la Corsair H100/Swiftech220/etc.

Also, I would go for a different TIM, probably Noctua H1 or Arctic MX-4.

I don't know much about the hardware requirements for video editing and/or where you get value for your dollar outside of the CPU, so I won't address that.

Looking at the white paper from Adobe, it seems like your optimal setup will be vastly different depending on which video editing software you actually use.

I failed to mention that I currently have an external watercooler, and I piped it to the basement under where my computer is. It's there to take advantage of the fact the basement is always cooler. When I used to render my videos, my CPU would run at about 70c with all cores at 100%. Now it's 30-35c on the same full load!

I also added a CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply to my list. It was suggested that my 600w may not do the trick.

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131800

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116939

These 2 parts will save you $670.00 which you can up grade other parts in your new system. ;) :shrug:

#1 - Will support the memory speed of the memory I picked which is at 2666. I think the board you suggested will only support DDR3 2400 max.

#2 - My pick might be almost double, but don't the EXTREME CPU's perform much better? There must be a reason for the huge price.

An Extreme version CPU is not worth the premium price when you can simply raise the multiplier on the 4930K and have greater performance than the 4960X at half the price.

An Extreme version CPU is not worth the premium price when you can simply raise the multiplier on the 4930K and have greater performance than the 4960X at half the price.

There's no way to mount 2 of these to a motherboard to get 12 cores online?

Correct about the Ram, but i would say your not going to notice a great deal of difference between the 2 speeds. You can still have your DOMS just drop the speed down to match the motherboard. And as for the CPU I was lead to believe your only paying for the X on the end plus a few Hertz difference. But you can always check things out by just Google the Cpu's for benchmarks. I would still go with the 4930K as that would be plenty fast enough with your 2400 Ram.

The only word of caution is that make sure the Motherboards have the latest Bios pre-installed before you buy them. So they are Ivy Bridge ready to go!!

AJ.

Correct about the Ram, but i would say your not going to notice a great deal of difference between the 2 speeds. You can still have your DOMS just drop the speed down to match the motherboard. And as for the CPU I was lead to believe your only paying for the X on the end plus a few Hertz difference. But you can always check things out by just Google the Cpu's for benchmarks. I would still go with the 4930K as that would be plenty fast enough with your 2400 Ram.

The only word of caution is that make sure the Motherboards have the latest Bios pre-installed before you buy them. So they are Ivy Bridge ready to go!!

AJ.

I know that the one I picked is ASUS' current flagship mobo, so it should have a pretty new bios. Beside, by picking this one, there should be greater longevity and more options for future upgrades.

Do not be shy about upgrading the BIOS on these ASUS boards they have multiple ways of flashing and I have found them all worry free.

Other than Xeon's these are some of the fastest CPU's on the market at the moment!

AJ.

Other than Xeon's these are some of the fastest CPU's on the market at the moment!

AJ.

I was just checking out the Xeon CPU and the GHz ratings are much slower from what I found. It seems the higher the core count, the lower each core's speed is. The highest I found was an Intel Xeon E5-2640 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP 2.0GHz LGA 2011 95W 8-Core Server Processor.

Back