• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build - Any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am going to upgrade my existing machine. This time, instead of doing the incremental upgrades as I typically do, I am replacing all the major components. This entails over $1K of hardware so I would appreciate others thoughts with respect to what I currently have in Newegg's shopping cart. I do not regularly keep up with the latest hardware developments to feel confident my decisions are good decisions and I will be getting a reasonable bang for my buck. I do not game but I am anal about having a very snappy machine. I always overclock but only to a conservative extent so reliability and stability are not challenged. I also use a lot of of very large PDF files (200-300 Mb) that seems to significantly slow down my existing machine.

The following hardware is what I plan to use:

-Intel i7-6700K
-ASRock Z170 Extreme6
-G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2X8GB) DDR4 3200
-Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512 GB PCI-Express

I am reasonably confident the 6700K and Extreme6 are good decisions.

I am not so sure that I appropriately chose the memory spec.

The Samsung M.2 PCI-Express drive may be a dumb decision because it will be in place of a 512 GB SATA 850 Pro I already have. The M.2 drive is not worth $350 if it does not provide a noticeable difference.

Memory is fine as is, but you can happily use 2800-3000 and save a little bit of money. It (2800-3000) is, what I would consider to be, the sweet spot between price and performance.

The Samsung M.2 PCI-Express drive may be a dumb decision because it will be in place of a 512 GB SATA 850 Pro I already have. The M.2 drive is not worth $350 if it does not provide a noticeable difference.
I have Deja Vu?? Ahh, YEP!!

And we also went over the motherboard in your other thread...so you are good there. :)

... let's keep this build to one thread. :)

Thanks. Appreciate your advice.

I am itching to buy the M.2 drive as intuitively it feels like it I would notice a difference when reading and manipulating big files due to the much faster PCI-Express interface. Nevertheless I cannot ignore everyone elses' opinion.

Well, if you deal with those large files quite frequently, then you will notice a difference, sure. How much? That depends... I personally cannot tell you, honestly. And if it is worth it or not is up to you. Have you read any reviews on the drive?

Thinking about it though, you said this:
I have almost 50 GB of sometimes very large PDF files (200-300 Mb). Paperport handles these files but sometimes I have to wait a relatively long period of time when reading or manipulating these files.

200-300MB single file can be read in a second on a 500MB read drive. It will be read in half that or so on the new drive... but if you are already waiting, not sure its the SSD holding you back...

As already mentioned the only item that I see being a monetary issue is the drive you are already discussing and have no experience with. I can say I purchased the same G. Skill V sticks and they are darn good. I have mine running stable at 3600 16-18-18.

Back