• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build - ASUS or Gigabyte?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

I'm looking to put together a new build, and plan on OC'ing a 4790k & 780ti classy under the waters. Can't decide on a MB, though. Shopping around in the $200-$300 price range for this MB, looking to OC a fair bit.

My two questions are:

1) What are the best alternatives to ASUS, since I haven't heard great things about there customer service (although they seem to make great boards mostly)? It looks like Gigabyte is pretty good, but I'm not sure how there Bios stacks up compared to Asus - any preferences?

2) Is there a price point at which Asus starts having snappy customer service? I've heard people with ROG boards never have problems with customer service. But they also make boards even more expensive than the ROG boards I've seen - would these be subject to there more attentive customer service as well?

I like what I've seen from Asus so far with my limited experience (just build my first rig last week), but it looks like there's some good options out there as well with other companies. I'd just like to be able to OC well and control all my radiator fans with 4-pin without worrying about Customer Service should something go South on the board :(

Both brands are reliable. I typically go with ASUS as I have had no problems with their boards and I am more familiar with the BIOS. In fact, I do not recollect ever having a problem with either ASUS or ABIT (when they were still around). From what I have read, Gigabyte are right up there with ASUS in terms of reliability.

Z97 Overclock Formula

For $ 220.00 bucks you simply can not do any better, arguably better than the Asus and Gigabite flagships...

Board really is a no brainer IMO

Last edited:
ASRock gets my vote, followed by gigabyte, followed by asus, followed by everybody else.

ASRock hired one of the top overclockers world wide and they listen to him AND they release the snazzy awesome oc bioses to everybody, not just the super select few like asus and evga.

ASRock hired one of the top overclockers world wide and they listen to him AND they release the snazzy awesome oc bioses to everybody, not just the super select few like asus and evga.

Thanks for the info! Had no idea. I'd kinda counted them out, but I think I might reconsider.

ASRock gets my vote, followed by gigabyte, followed by asus, followed by everybody else.

+2 :thup:

This is slightly off topic, but is there software on an OS level than can PWM control 4-pin header fans or is that something that needs to be in the Bios and/or just get a fan controller?

look at the asrock extreme boards I have the extreme 9 boards wirh the 4790k, great combo and i am reading very good stuff about the extreme6 boards.

Sorry to sort of thread jack here, but the first pc I built used an Asrock board and it crapped out after a couple of months. This was about 12 years ago with a p4. Have they come that far since? I never regarded them since as being a good line, but I have been out of it for a while.

Sorry to sort of thread jack here, but the first pc I built used an Asrock board and it crapped out after a couple of months. This was about 12 years ago with a p4. Have they come that far since? I never regarded them since as being a good line, but I have been out of it for a while.

They're a competitor for the top of the field now.

New here. I have the AsRock Z97 ext4 and am happy with it. 4670K @ 4.6 could likely get 4.7. Also very good onboard sound with the ext boards.

Back