• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build boots to black screen, then restarts; no beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mattstermh2

Registered
mobo: msi h81m-e33
Ram: ddr4 ballistic 8gb
Gpu: 1060 6gb
Psu: 500w evga bronze certified(just got it today)
I7 4790

Everything is new i just got it barebones and installed a new PSU (listed above).
I tested the PSU with the tester and it works fine.

I'm not sure if the motherboard doesn't support ddr4 ram, thus, I will try Ddr3, though i don't think thats the problem.

I turn the computer on, all the fans spin, but none of my USB connected devices show lights or activity, and then the computer restarts itself and just stays at an empty black screen. Zero activity on the monitor. The computer doesn't beep at all.

I've unplugged SSD, RAM and GPU one by one, didn't make a difference.

I'm not sure the ram fits in the socket in the mobo. Attached is a picture showing the gap in the RAM vs where it fits in. It doesn't sit in the hole. I've been able to snap the clips onto both sides of the RAM but if I remember correct it should sit flush in the gap.

Does ddr3 look different than ddr4 in terms of where that gap is?
BUndwkl

Could that be the problem? I honestly have no clue here, haven't built a desktop in a decade.

Its a socket 1150 motherboard so uses DDR3 not DDR4. DDR4 RAM is for socket 1151.

What the gentlemen above say: you need ddr3 ,memory.

Don't push on the memory modules, you could damage the slots. Just return the DDR4 and get some 1866/2000/2133 CL9 DDR3 instead.

Figured, thanks.

I honestly would be shocked if this was the problem. I mean, obviously the RAM I Have is incompatible.. but I expected different behavior, like 2 beeps or whichever one usually indicates faulty RAM.

Only read the 1st link and Tir, my bad. The ones you ordered should have no problem ?

Did you force the original DDR4 ram into the mobo? If so I would inspect the RAM slots for damage.

Figured, thanks.

I honestly would be shocked if this was the problem. I mean, obviously the RAM I Have is incompatible.. but I expected different behavior, like 2 beeps or whichever one usually indicates faulty RAM.

You will only get beeps if the motherboard has a built in speaker. A lot of the lower end boards like that don't. However, they usually have a header for connecting a speaker if you want to or need to. It's usually near the front panel wire connector block pins.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you force the original DDR4 ram into the mobo? If so I would inspect the RAM slots for damage.

I wondered about this too. How did OP even get the DDR4 RAM to seat sine it has a different pin blade? Or did he?

It sat in the channel but I didn't force it down. With a very, very slight amount of force I was able to clip both ends even though it wasn't completely down. The ram slots are completely fine there isn't any damage.

It sat in the channel but I didn't force it down. With a very, very slight amount of force I was able to clip both ends even though it wasn't completely down. The ram slots are completely fine there isn't any damage.

And you were wondering why it didn't light up?

It doesn't say CL9 anywhere but I'll go pick this up if it'll work
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-8gb-pc3-12800-ddr3-dimm-desktop-memory-green/5429091.p?skuId=5429091

ps: idk what CL9 means. Upon further research it might be C11 - is that not gonna work?
Also what is ECC ram? Do I want it?

- - - Updated - - -

And you were wondering why it didn't light up?

I actually thought it was all the way down until 5 hours of troubleshooting I had given it another glance.

Last edited:
Back