• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build boots to black screen, then restarts; no beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is there any literature that states explicitly CL11 is incompatible? Or is it implied? I don't know what the difference is.

Faster RAM at the same clock speed :) the lower the CAS Latency (or CL) the faster it will run.

The CL has no effect on comaptability, just performance and not much at that. But at a similar price you might as well get the lower CL stuff. CL with lower numbers is a little faster because the pauses in the flow of data are shorter.

ECC RAM you don't want. ECC has to do with error checking and is used mainly on servers. It may not work at all on most other motherboards.

Figured, thanks.

I honestly would be shocked if this was the problem. I mean, obviously the RAM I Have is incompatible.. but I expected different behavior, like 2 beeps or whichever one usually indicates faulty RAM.

Did you connect the Front panel speaker on the motherboard?

Also did you only order one memory stick? if you did the PC will only run single channel and not dual channel.

Did you connect the Front panel speaker on the motherboard?

Also did you only order one memory stick? if you did the PC will only run single channel and not dual channel.

Which reminds me, if yuo did get a single stick check your manual for which slot to use it in. Some mobo can be picky about slot configuration when using 1 stick of RAM.

Got a single stick and all is working, now. Thanks, guys. Just need to install the drivers. When I install onboard VGA drivers it says "computer does not meet minimum requirements." Same thing with the nvidia drivers...

Regarding dual channel memory: if i swap the RAM next week, will that be a problem?

Last edited:
Back