• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build but keep CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enrich

hi,

Im looking to upgrade my computer now that its been about 2 years.

My current setup is:
CPU : AMD 555 Unlocked to 4Cores at 3.8ghz
MOBO: MSI Forgot what but it doesn't support USB3
Mem : 6Gb Mixed memory but its DDR1333 mhz
GPU : GTX550ti SLI (Zotac & PNY)
SSD : PNY 120gb
HDD : WD Black 500GB

I've been looking to upgrade for a while and been waiting and waiting. My first thing I was going to upgrade was my video card to what Im seeing right now would be a 7870 or a 760ti......but now im thinkning of waiting a bit and getting the new sabortooth 990fx rev2 mobo instead and some more memory.

Im looking to have a PC that is setup to play GTA4 with ENB series and Sweet FX with lots of good mods and I know thats a power hungry game. Also blockbuster games running at a good 60 Frames is the goal. Like everyone elses goal.

I run my games with FXAA with sweet FX most of the time and I play at 1920x1080 but with the new monitors going higher I would think going for something more powerful would be smarter then going SLI or CROSSFIRE

What would you guys do. I have been out of the whole game for a while and I don't think I would see a performance increase from a MOBO upgrade or a cpu upgrade but I could be wrong.

I have no real budget but I would like to spend less then $600-500

I'd get a 4670K cpu and a Z87 motherboard. 8GB 1866Mhz (or 1600Mhz) RAM, and at least a GTX 760.
If you want to stick with AMD, I'd upgrade to at least an FX series 4 core, same RAM, same GPU ^

I'd get a 4670K cpu and a Z87 motherboard. 8GB 1866Mhz (or 1600Mhz) RAM, and at least a GTX 760.
If you want to stick with AMD, I'd upgrade to at least an FX series 4 core, same RAM, same GPU ^

That won't happen in his budget.

I'd say FX-4350, a GA-970A-UD3, and a GTX 760.

RAM can be reused, along with the SSD and HDD.

What PSU do you have, OP? If you don't need a new PSU, grab a 2x4GB set of 1600MHz RAM.

Im also open to spending alittle more. Personally, I feel more comfortable with an amd cpu. I am also ok with just purchasing the CPU and mobo and ram now and the video card next week since I got bread to spend :)

Is there anything on the amd side thats better and the same price or a little more then the 760?

I have a thermal take 700W PSU

Im also open to spending alittle more. Personally, I feel more comfortable with an amd cpu. I am also ok with just purchasing the CPU and mobo and ram now and the video card next week since I got bread to spend :)

Is there anything on the amd side thats better and the same price or a little more then the 760?

I have a thermal take 700W PSU

I just recommend you an AMD APU(GPU and CPU all in one), you'll be able to crossfireX that APU with a Radeon card
At for the GTX 760, it's pretty hard to beat it when it come to price/ performance

You really have no clue what you're talking about ASUS...the most powerful card you can Crossfire an APU with is a 6670...

You really have no clue what you're talking about ASUS...the most powerful card you can Crossfire an APU with is a 6670...

Care to explan why?, like i said in the other post, i'm not a Radeon fan and only bough 1 Radeon card in the past a Radeon 5970 or 5950 i can't remember, it been 4 years

Like I said a bazillion times, you shouldn't be a "fan" of a company, all it does is limit your options based on bias and preconceived notions.

It's not CrossfireX, it's called AMD Dual Graphics. The only cards you can combine with an APU are the 64xx, 65xx, and 66xx cards.

Well if you're willing to split it up over a couple weeks, you could do a FX6300 and the sabertooth 990FX since it will still let you SLI your current cards till you get a better one, and leave some cash over for some faster ram, maybe get an aftermarket cooler if you want to do some OC'ing, (this is overclockers.com after all).

The 6300 seems to be the sweetspot for gaming right now on the AMD side for CPU's unless you play some well threaded games like BF3 then the 8 cores win out.

As for the 760 vs the 7870, I think it beats the 7870 by a little bit, but you can find a 7870 for around $200, and a 7950 on sale sometimes for around $260 which does perform a little better than the 760.

Thinking of getting a 7870 GHZ edition myself though.

You can Crossfire a 7750 now actually. But the 760 would wipe the floor with any hybrid crossfire.

+1 atminside, and from what i have seen skip on crossfire or sli and buy a better single card.
cpu, a quad or 6 core will do fine, intel will do better.
if you go fx, match the specs of the sabertooth.

Well if you're willing to split it up over a couple weeks, you could do a FX6300 and the sabertooth 990FX since it will still let you SLI your current cards till you get a better one, and leave some cash over for some faster ram, maybe get an aftermarket cooler if you want to do some OC'ing, (this is overclockers.com after all).

The 6300 seems to be the sweetspot for gaming right now on the AMD side for CPU's unless you play some well threaded games like BF3 then the 8 cores win out.

As for the 760 vs the 7870, I think it beats the 7870 by a little bit, but you can find a 7870 for around $200, and a 7950 on sale sometimes for around $260 which does perform a little better than the 760.

Thinking of getting a 7870 GHZ edition myself though.

I was looking into it. WOuld it be best to maybe buy a cheaper MOBO and put the money towards an 8 core cpu or keep with a FX6300 and get this board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

Do NOT get a cheap board with an 8 core.

I'd suggest the board I have (GA-970A-UD3) to be the cheapest board for an 8 core.

Strictly gaming, I'd almost go with a 6350 just because it's so much easier on the board when OCing.

Even the Gigabyte UD3 series (970 and 990FX) is starting to have major issues with OCed 8350s.

Strictly gaming, I'd almost go with a 6350 just because it's so much easier on the board when OCing.

Even the Gigabyte UD3 series (970 and 990FX) is starting to have major issues with OCed 8350s.

hmmm now I want to stay away from those

Well this is becoming hard to figure out but as for reviews....Im now also lost on the 7870 tatali because it can be faster then a 7950 or just jump on the 760

Back