• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build but keep CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I still say you should be looking at a 4670K and a $140 1150 motherboard. If you go AMD the CPU will be cheap but the mobo will be expensive. With Intel it'll be the other way around but you'll end up with four much more powerful cores vs six less powerful cores.

I still say you should be looking at a 4670K and a $140 1150 motherboard. If you go AMD the CPU will be cheap but the mobo will be expensive.

I beg to differ.

There are plenty of good AMD boards for $140 or less.

Enrich, I had almost the exact same setup as you (AMD 555 unlocked to x4 at 3.8 and MSI Mobo). I just recently upgraded to an fx-8320 and ASUS mobo and couldn't be happier. Still playing on an AMD HD 6870, I don't know how that compares to GTX 550ti, but I am getting a little more performance out of it now that I have a better CPU. I'm waiting to see what the next generation of GPUs are gonna be like, and if they will knock price of this generation down now.

IMO I would upgrade CPU and mobo now to have a good base for everything else you want to upgrade.

BTW, I got my CPU and MOBO at microcenter for $240 (80 dollars off in a bundle)

Good luck with your decision

Last edited:
I beg to differ.

There are plenty of good AMD boards for $140 or less.
There are a few, agreed. But not like Intel where any will do. There are specific models with enough power bits and cooling on them that can be used, whereas with Intel, most any Z77 will be fine, but 990FX and FX CPUs(125W) that pool is a lot smaller and tends to get expensive, at times, closing the gap between price differences. That said, so long as its not a 125W processor, most any board will do. :thup:

There are a few, agreed. But not like Intel where any will do. There are specific models with enough power bits and cooling on them that can be used, whereas with Intel, most any Z77 will be fine, but 990FX and FX CPUs(125W) that pool is a lot smaller and tends to get expensive, at times, closing the gap between price differences. That said, so long as its not a 125W processor, most any board will do. :thup:

This is very true. Something like the FX-6300 will be fine in almost any board, and it would be a great upgrade for the OP.

My point is though, you'll come out cheaper with AMD overall, no matter the processor.

My point is though, you'll come out cheaper with AMD overall, no matter the processor.
AMD isnt my thing, but I have seen posts describing otherwise. If you lop off the 2-3 boards that ssjwizard describes in his thread, you are left with some pricey(er) solutions that all but eliminate that gap of $. Then you have to figure... is it worth (for example) $20 to get the AMD or do I get the Intel at that point...

Of course, assuming that person was right, LOL!

AMD isnt my thing, but I have seen posts describing otherwise. If you lop off the 2-3 boards that ssjwizard describes in his thread, you are left with some pricey(er) solutions that all but eliminate that gap of $. Then you have to figure... is it worth (for example) $20 to get the AMD or do I get the Intel at that point...

Of course, assuming that person was right, LOL!

I got my board/proc for $180, can't beat that.

Great deal... talking retail though, and a 125W CPUs. ;)

I actually saw the combo for $190 on Newegg Shell Shocker.

But, for 125W, keep my board and use a 6350. Or jump to 8320.

Using this board and a 6350, its cheaper than a 4670k by itself.

I dont want to go down the rabbit hole so I will just end with this... sadly, due to Intel's lack of 10 unlocked processors in their line, I can't go 2-4 CPU's down to compare like processors with like processors. The best I can do is go back generationally with a 2500K/3570K and Z77. By you doing that and dropping to hex, that brings the performance variable up in value as well. Not to mention with SB/IB you don't need watercooling to reach similar overclocks as you tend to with Octo AMD's. Its tough to cmpare apples to apples here. But in my mind I was on IB/Z77, not Haswell/Z87 as the performance on IB is already plenty to match all but 5 thread + performance.

That said, thanks for the (peaceful) informative discussion. :)

My recommendation is for gaming (where the 2 extra cores, from 6 to 8, won't matter) so that you don't have massive cooling issues.

I agree though, AMD has always had the advantage for budget because of unlocking the top section of their lineup instead of just the top chips.

It all depends what you need :thup:

+1 on the 6300 for gamming, mine game rather well and less investment to cool than the 8350, pair it with a good good card and your ready to go.

+1 on the 6300 for gamming, mine game rather well and less investment to cool than the 8350, pair it with a good good card and your ready to go.

I'm already at 4.4GHz, and haven't broken 38C yet :D

Definitely smoother in games than my 1100T was.

yep I forgot to mention I got a prolimatech megahelums thats Nickel plated that has already been lapped my old boss gave it to me for free with 2 8 loom fans :)

Im already going to choose the FX6300 but I also noticed was there a Black edtion?

Back