• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build debate!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brad1995

Hi guys, im about to start buying parts to build a new computer on a bit of a budget and am unsure as to what to go for in terms of CPU and RAM. I only will be using the computer for fairly light video editing on GoPro studio and also picture editing on Adobe lightroom. I have been looking into harware and have decided that an Intel core i5 would suffice for my build but my debate is to go for a 4690k haswell i5 build with DDR3 at less of a cost or do i go for a newer 6600k skylake i5 on DDR4. I cant figure out if its worth spending the extra money on the newer 6th gen skylake with DDR4 or if the haswell build with DDR3 would be more than enough of a capable build bearing in mind there both quad core and 3.5GHz base speed. Any advice would be much appreciated and i hope to hear from you guys soon!

Links to the 2 processors:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/int...z-turbo-6mb-cache-1150mhz-gpu-35x-ratio-91w-c
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/int...ghz-base-39ghz-turbo-1200mhz-gpu-88w-cpu-plus

Thanks, Brad.

My personal opinion for your uses, is to either get a Xeon 1231 V3 Haswell or go to the Skylake 6600K. I am US based based so not sure how your pricing works out for you between these two setups, but the Xeon is like getting an i7 at i5 prices because of the HT and contrary to popular belief you can BCLK OC it to some degree depending on your mother board.

I myself went 6600K for my Intel Rig because the nominal price difference was just not worth it to go with the older tech.

:thup:

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I think i will go for the 6600K in that case as i suppose its future proof for the next few years with it utilizing DDR4 and the 6600k has hyper threading and the 4690k doesn't from what i can see.

I would go for a CPU with 4c/8t, not an i5, for video editing.

The 6600K has no Hyperthreading, it is 4c/4t.

ah fair enough. On the scan product page it says intel core features and then it says hyperthreading but i guess it must just be talking about intels processors in general and not that specific one.

ah fair enough. On the scan product page it says intel core features and then it says hyperthreading but i guess it must just be talking about intels processors in general and not that specific one.

In the detailed specs they list 4 threads, not 8, so at least that portion is accurate.

Yes, there is no HT on i5 processors.

I wouldn't make this blanket statement, a lot of mobile i5 processors have Hyper-Threading.

yeah i didn't notice the thread count. Realistically would the 6600k be fine for my application? The videos that i will be editing will only be 1080p footage from a gopro and the final edits will only be 5 minutes long tops.

It would work fine, yes, but your software will utilize more than four working threads.
If you get an eight thread model you'll see a fairly significant time difference over the four core CPU.

i think i'm convinced by the i7 now haha ! Thanks for helping me ruin my budget! lets be fair even a 4 core 6600k is going to be a huge improvement over my current AMD athlon X2 !

Yes for home use the i7 6700k encoding will only save you a few seconds compared to the i5 6600k.

Last edited:
Depending on cost in your local. You may still want to consider the z97 platform with an i7 4790k. If there is a large price difference between the 2 I would grab the 4790k. You will not notice a large difference between the 2 in day to day use.

Back