• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, do I need more radiators and fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WOW!!! a 1250 in that????? you got some skinny fingers, that must be extra tight under that board.

we need to see the temp as reported by the cpu cores, please download hardware monitor from the cpu-id site also.
you are only seeing temps as reported by the motherboard.

This is the standard. You gotta do this for us to know.

Idle for an hour.
Record temps and room temps. CPU GPU VRM (if possible) and MOBO Mosfets (if possible)

Prime 95 blend and Heaven for at least 30 minutes.
Record temps and room temps. CPU GPU VRM (if possible) and MOBO Mosfets (if possible) while the load proggies are still running.

Then we'll know.

It all might be moot, we just wanna know because we do. Do it for us please, as experienced water coolers we have seen many many rigs and get good info from this. We have helped you plenty, toss us a dog bone and do us a favor. We are curious. Join the OCF WC community and share.

Your earlier tests look really good and if you're just gaming it looks okay.

It's always nice to know how good your cooling is.

I will do this on the next run! Thanks guys, you have been a great help!

What is with the fan placement? Flip the front fan to blow IN the the case and leave the back fan. Regardless if that top is off or on, you want airFLOW. There isn't a need for those other two fans... Any reason why the top is off?

You are aware that software shows 'current' temps, right? Are you running a stress test with that software in the screenshot? Try using HWMonitor. Start that, run those stress tests for at least 30 mins... and then show us a picture of Hwmonitr. It will show your MAX temp.

earthdog, this is a fine way to flow air through this case, with the motherboard block all he has to worry about is the south bridge.
with the 1250 watt psu the bigger fan of that takes care of the heat under the socket also.
I have run my 8350 in this case at 5.0 and up wit all out airflow and it works better in this case, I had to run a giant antec fan in the top mesh because i use the stock vrm heat sinks.

What is with the fan placement? Flip the front fan to blow IN the the case and leave the back fan. Regardless if that top is off or on, you want airFLOW. There isn't a need for those other two fans... Any reason why the top is off?

I wanted to create a down draft (there is a 200mm fan mounted to the top of my case lid), right now the top is removed while I do R&D. The extra fans are to cool the RAM and PCIE header which were both seeing ~38+c (100+deg f) so I wanted and did cool them down to a respectful 32-33c on the PCIE header and 31-32c on the RAM (this was verified by using a inferred heat gun)

You are aware that software shows 'current' temps, right? Are you running a stress test with that software in the screenshot? Try using HWMonitor. Start that, run those stress tests for at least 30 mins... and then show us a picture of Hwmonitr. It will show your MAX temp.

I DL'd the GPU-Z and I was using the CPU-Z which was showing me the same as the RC TweakIt. The only difference is that while running benchmarks RC Tweakit continues to run and report as it is running on a separate computer via the "ROG Connect" cable.

with the 1250 watt psu the bigger fan of that takes care of the heat under the socket also.
You hope that fan is spinning using so little of its power...

Eddie...
Try using HWMonitor. Start that, run those stress tests for at least 30 mins... and then show us a picture of Hwmonitr. It will show your MAX temp.
38C is plenty respectful for those components. Dont worry about it.

Good luck then... I can't help that. :)

I'm going to water cool a 500w PSU for one of my next projects.
Unless you have some hidden talent, not sure I would do that if I was you...

Unless you have some hidden talent, not sure I would do that if I was you...

Definitely not hidden, ok yes it takes big balls to mix water and electricity, but if you think about it you guys are already doing that. All I'm proposing is introducing a little out of the box thinking. Damit man, I'm getting a little ahead of myself, note to self, stay focused. :eek:

Last edited:
eddie, would you please download and run hardware monitor from the cpuid site, what you are seeing listed as cpu temp is the socket temp and not the core temps.

Ok guys, I installed the CPUID Hardware Monitor Pro, GPU-Z and can now see and log everything! I have Prime95 and Heaven Benchmark both ready to roll. The computer has been sitting running idle for at least 30min. and I think I'm ready to start my first run test.

Starting Temps
Room: 25-2.5c (77-78f)
CPU: 33c (V), 32c (Min.), 34c (Max)
MB: 32c (V), 31c (Min.), 32c (Max)
GPU: 38c (V), 36c (Min.) 40.5c (Max)
VRM: ~35.0c (GPUZ)
I will run this test for one hour starting @ 2:00 (14:00). Prime95 set to blend and Heaven graphics set to max.

Last edited:
in hardware monitor these are the temp lines we will pay attention to.
38c or so at your clock and voltage.scratch that, 42-45c on the cores.

Attachments

• hardware.JPG
    hardware.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
just the software and your board, you have a later version of the software.

let's set some known, safe limits,
the cpu line is 72c
the amd fx-8530, package temp is 62c
please.

Last edited:
Here is the FX-8350 Package Temp. in run order.

Attachments

• AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-02.jpg
    AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-02.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 39
  • AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-03.jpg
    AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-03.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 40
  • AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-04.jpg
    AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-04.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 37
  • AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-05.jpg
    AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-05.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 39
  • AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-06.jpg
    AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-06.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 37
  • AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-07.jpg
    AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-07.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 36
  • AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-08.jpg
    AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-08.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 38
  • AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-09.jpg
    AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature-09.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
plenty of headroom on the temps, time to bump it up some and use up some of that headroom.

Here are the AMD Radeon HD 6970_temperature_clockspeed in order.

Attachments

• AMD Radeon HD 6970_temperature_clockspeed-01.jpg
    AMD Radeon HD 6970_temperature_clockspeed-01.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 37
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970_temperature_clockspeed-02.jpg
    AMD Radeon HD 6970_temperature_clockspeed-02.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 36
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970_temperature_clockspeed-03.jpg
    AMD Radeon HD 6970_temperature_clockspeed-03.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 39
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970_temperature_clockspeed-04.jpg
    AMD Radeon HD 6970_temperature_clockspeed-04.jpg