• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build FAIL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamesMasta

Registered
ok so I finaly built my new super pc ;)

Asus Sabertooth 990x r2.0
Amd 8350 (4.3)
Noctua nh-D14
32gb DDr3 (forget the make)
AMD Sapphire HD Radeon 7990
CoolerMaster m2 Silent modular PSU (1000w)
CoolerMaster 932 Case (3x 230mm Fans)

NOW here is my problem
I installed a SSD
OCZ Vertex 2 120gb (sata ll UEFI)
installed Win7 x64 GREAT
went to run Battlefield 3 and boom SYSTEM LOCKUP on initial launch....

SH*T! soooo
I plugged in my 500gb WD from previous pc install (Win8 x64) and ran bf3 no problem....

went back to my SSD and tried installing BF3 to my 2TB backup HDD
Same problem
so formatted to Win8 x64 Nope still crashes on ALL Game Launching (bf3, bf4, Grid 2, Crisis 2 and Trials Evo Gold)
500gb WD ran it fine, even ran bf4 no problem

sooo I went googling and read somewhere about sata ll bad sata lll better
So, I got a OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Updated sabertooth 990x Mobo to most recent bios!
Installed Win8 x64
Installed AMD 13.9 Drivers
Installed Latest DirectX
wen to launch bf4 from 2TB hd... BOOM System freeze again!
tried getting the Rate this machine sh*t too, that crashes at Runnin Direct 3D 10 assessment...

I am stumped, any game I try to launch a game on my ssd's my system just locks up, but when launching from a normal HDD it runs no problem?

Please help I spent a nice Cpl £££ on these hdd's n don't wanna waste em, (loving the windows boot times with SSD)

That is a good one.

What port is your SSD (actualyl all drives, both SSD/HDD/Optical) plugged into? Tried another?
How about the cable used on the SSD? Tried another?
What mode did you install Windows in, IDE or AHCI?

Need to RMA that MB would be my guess. Since both SSD's and one 2TB HD failed, odds are there is a problem with the MB in some way. As to troubleshooting, EarthDog told you right, swap everything related to the drives to be sure it's not a specific port or cable. Since it boots windows, I'd expect they are both fine however. The real peculiarity is that 500 GB drive working -- What is different in how you got that to work for the other drives? Give some thought to this, you may see what is different that allows it to work.

If you have another working computer, try using those SSD's and the 2TB drive in that to see if the problem will replicate. If not, it is for sure something with your Sabertooth motherboard.

On a side note, I RMA'd a new Sabertooth over a year ago. It would barely work and would not even approach an overclock with known good components from another build running 4.8 GHz fine.

Hope you get it working or parts RMA'd for those that work.

-Rodger

I installed win AHCI, Even tried swapping to pci for ****s n giggles, i've tried the ssd in port 0 thru to port 6, at the moment i've removed all my **** off the 500gb so its under 100gb and im gonna clone it to the ssd see if that works.
I cant b arsed pulling this thing together for a RMA... LoL if all else fails im just going to list these ssd's on ebay n stick to 500gb as main hdd, ok win boots slower n pc rating goes from 8.1 to 5.6 but fuk it lol

What about GFX drivers. If your previous install works it may have a different driver already on it. I ask because it only seem to happen when launching games??
Also the SSDs were all fresh installs , so you might have updated to a different driver that's not playing nice.
EDIT: One other thing I had some issues once with one of the BIOS I was using and going to the MS SATA/AHCI driver seemed to solve it. Just went into device manager and rolled back the driver. If that's the case I would suggest using an older BIOS. I use ver. 803 it's older but works with Win 8 and Win7.

Last edited:
What about GFX drivers. If your previous install works it may have a different driver already on it. I ask because it only seem to happen when launching games??
Also the SSDs were all fresh installs , so you might have updated to a different driver that's not playing nice.
One other thing I had some issues once with one of the BIOS I was using and going to the MS SATA/AHCI driver seemed to solve it. Just went into device manager and rolled back the driver. If that's the case I would suggest using an older BIOS. I use ver. 803 it's older but works with Win 8 and Win7.

This man is looking in the right spot.

OP, when you say "it crashes" do you mean BSOD, game freeze, system freeze, etc?

I mean system HAULT! (It has BSOD in the past tho wen installin gfx drivers)
mouse freezes with just the greyed iut window of the game i was launching,
I was thinkin drivers myself, been on 13.4 13.8 13.9 and 13.11beta all same result.
If i uninstall the gfx driver, the system will launch a game, sometimes it will just black screen tho,

That may be the problem then. I'd start there any way. Try to clean it the best you can (driver sweeper) and so another install with an older driver you know that works.

On my 500gb i updatedfrom 13.4 to 13.9 and getting same issues, i've added another cable str8 from psu to gfxcard so its gettin enuf power!

You should really consider RMA on that motherboard.
What do you mean you added ANOTHER cable straight from PSU to graphics card? You either connect enough power or you don't. 7990 likely takes 2 8 pin AFAIK.

yeah it takes 2x 8-pin but the cable that came with the psu was a dual 8-pin on 1 cable so I used 2 cables instead of 1... just eliminating any further problems, n yeah looks like im going to have to possibly RMA this mobo as the gfx is still running perfectly on my old M2A57 r2.0
Fek man, what should I say when I contact the seller?
Yo Mofo you're sh*t sux...? lol

Before you send it back try an older bios. See if that clears things up. Just call it a hunch?? I'm using the 901 chipset drivers ( new ones) with the 803 bios.

yeah, sorry.
i havn't had time to get around to it yet, i have ran the GPU + SSD in my old motherboard and it works fine, i havnt had much time on my hands to sit down at the pc and get the bios downgraded yet.
as soon as i get around to doing anything i will let you guys know of any change in circumstances :D

UPDATE!
ok so i downgraded the Bios No Fix so i got a new board and still fail!
tried my old PSU also, still Fail!
either i got 2 **** boards or its got to be the gfx card
it gives me blue screen with error 0xa0000001
i dont know how to find the eroor Log?

All Games launched from Steam (Not Responding)
Games from Origin freeze (bf3 burnout paradise) (bf4 cracked [used to work before this build)
the only game that runs is Uplay Trials Evo Gold

Last edited:
Back