• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, few questions regarding CPU, XMP.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrazinCS

Hello everyone!

I got my pc two days ago, specs:

Corsair CS 650 M PSU, asus z97-a motherboard, intel i5 4690k cpu, noctua nh-u12p cooler, 8gb 1866 cl9 kingston ram, gtx 970 and a 120gb SSD.

I put it together and it works just fine, but I noticed the ram was reading as 1600Mhz CL11 instead of 1866Mhz CL9.

I called the store where I bought the hardware from, the "IT" guy told me to go in the bios and change XMP to Profile #1.

I did that and pressed Save & Exit, and I read all of the changes it was applying, one of them being -> "CPu core frequency [auto] to -> [all the same]"

Now my computer reads the ram fine, 1866Mhz CL9, but my cpu is not 3.5ghz anymore, it's on 3.9ghz which should be it's max selfboost (turboboost) frequency according to intel, whereas before it'd stay at 3.5ghz and go up to 3.9 as needed.

Is this normal? or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your help!

That is normal...not all boards do that, but some, like yours, do.

Thank you EarthDog, so, everything is fine, I shouldn't worry about my cpu being 3.9 all the time?

It's like somehow turboboost is disabled and the cpu is just on its max turboboost clock permanently now.

Its how we run things when overclocked anyway... and at much higher clocks, so there are no worries on your end at the 'stock' clocks.

Back