• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build: First Problems and Issues Arise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R3NEGADE

So, I just finished building my first computer, super excited :D. After I got my OS installed (Windows 7 Professional) and my drivers, I ran into some issues. First and foremost, I got a Windows error saying that I had a faulty hard drive. That one was a heartbreaker but an easy fix. I ordered a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD which should arrive sometime next week, problem solved except for the fact that I have to go through the entire setup process again. My second problem starts here. When I opened up my case to take out the faulty drive I noticed the heatsink was wobbling. My best guess is that I installed it incorrectly. I took it off the motherboard as quickly as I could so the thermal compound wouldn't run off the processor onto the motherboard or even worse, into the socket. I didn't reinstall it because I'm unsure how to properly attach it. So, these are my quesitons:

1. How do I properly install the heatsink? It's the stock Intel heatsink by the way. I read on Tom's Hardware that you should put the pins in the lock position and press them into the motherboard in a diagonal fashion (Press the top right and bottom left pins in first, then the same on the other side). Is this the best way to do it?

2. This is probably a no-brainer, but to play it safe I'll ask anyway. Do I need to reapply the thermal compound. As said on Tom's Hardware, I should reapply thermal compound each time I remove the heatsink. Personally I don't think this is necessary but you guys would know better than me.

3. Last one, how long after your new PC is build is it safe to overclock? Yes, I know I can't overclock with the stock heatsink (I'll buy a watercooler later on). My motherboard is capable of it (ASUS Z97-A) so all I have to do is figure out how, but that'll come later on. So, once your new PC is up and running for awhile, would it be safe to overclock, say, three months with it?

Thanks guys!

Welcome to OCF!:cool:

When you were setting up the system in BIOS did you check your boot configuration and whether or not your HDD is enabled? That could account for your Winderz error. Check the cables from the MB to the HDD to make sure that you have them inserted firmly as well.

It’s pretty well a stock-in-trade to assemble the components outside the case on a non-conductive surface, like the MB box, on any build to make sure that all of it works together before putting it all inside the case. It’s easier to double check and make any adjustments outside the case.

Always reapply thermal paste. Repeat, always reapply thermal paste.

fresh tim, every time.
lock the cooler in a crissy crossy.
I'm willing to bet you installed windows with more than only your boot drive installed, this gives all kinds of boot issues, is a computer sin and sends us to computer hell.

fresh tim, every time.
lock the cooler in a crissy crossy.
I'm willing to bet you installed windows with more than only your boot drive installed, this gives all kinds of boot issues, is a computer sin and sends us to computer hell.

That may be an exaggeration, but the fact remains, always install Windows with only the boot drive connected.

Setting drinks on top of the computer, now that's a computer sin....

Thanks :). I reconnected the hard drive to the motherboard twice now and the same error appears. At this point I'm giving up on it since my SSD comes in the mail tomorrow so I'll just migrate the data I have on the HDD to the SSD and be done with it. Thermal paste, I didn't reapply. I read that I'll need to pick up a solution to remove the current compound from the heatsink and processor, isopropyl alcohol right? Also, I didn't test all my components outside my case (I'm not sure if that's important or not). Once I got them all I got right into building my PC, slowly and carefully. Thanks for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I reinstalled the heatsink criss-crossing the pins. My bottom left pin won't lock for whatever reason. I installed Windows with only one drive, the drive I intended to be the boot drive. i'm not sure if that was something I shouldn't have done. Should I reinstall the operating system with an SSD and a HDD installed? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

The only drives connected were the optical drive and the to-be boot drive. I don't think I did anything wrong.

The pins on the stock Intel cooler are a pain to get in there sometimes. It will go in with a little fiddling, sometimes you need to actually wiggle the cooler a little to get it to fall in just right.

Yes, you installed Windows correctly. Only the drive you intend to be C: should be installed.

Ok, so I got my SSD installed and the drivers are installing now. I believe the heatsink is in its proper place now. However, when I was installing drivers I heard the fans revving up as they installed. Weird. Is my i5 running hot? Should I reapply thermal compound or is this just a quirk in the computer? I haven't installed any Windows updates yet so I'm not sure if this is something that happens during setup and will be fixed as the system updates to more recent software.

It's just the CPU getting warm under the workload. However, it's a good idea to download some kind of stress testing software (I like Intel's XTU personally), and a program to monitor temperatures to verify that everything is working correctly.

Back