• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, first WC system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks wonderful, sadly I dont have the money yet. Currently I only have ~400 ready for the build. Im supposed to be getting 1500 within the next 3 weeks, but Im starting to doubt it. The rest will depend on how much I work.

You don't have to buy 2 690, i would prefer 3 GTX 680 over 2 GTX 690 and EVGA GTX 680 hydro copper are plentiful, i have see one go for at low at $480 new on ebay.
Save your money, take sometime to do more research no need to hurry. it took me almost 4 month to save enough money to buy all the part for my main pc, another 4 or 5 week of reading up on water cooling :D

I think quad is a pain to get games to work with it vs just 2 cards. 2 will run everything maxed out, why bother to spend money on quad

Looking at the benchmarks it becomes apparent that dual 680s is the best setup, but once again cant find the hydro versions xD. Ill have to install the blocks myself.
EDIT: I plan on three monitors, I figure I need a lot of VRAM. If I understand correctly VRAM comes from the main card, so the second card contributes none. So would it be a good idea to get a FTW edition (4gb) and a reference?

yes, get a 4GB reference, I ran 3 27 ips monitors and in battlefield 3 i was maxing everything out and getting 80fps, using 3.5vram

I went back to one 30'' monitor because 3 is to much for me, and not many games support it. the image is to stretched out on the sides. looks like crap

You didnt make clear, get a single 4gb and a 2gb reference? And yeah Ive had 3 monitor set ups before. I like them but my dual 6870s cant handle most. When my one monitor broke, I didnt care enough to get a replacement.

I'm a fan of the Swiftech Komodo blocks as far as GPU blocks go. I don't think there's really a -bad- GPU block persay, as long as it's reference. I'd say go full cover as well, though that means you can't reuse the block when you upgrade to a new card.

Im a big fan of black designs like this http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._Acetal_Nickel_CSQ.html?tl=g30c311s1631#blank

I think I might go with them unless anyone has any other suggestions.

EDIT: I wanted to mention that I looked for the Komodos, and I think they may only be for 7970
EDIT2: I dont think the acension is gonna work for me, I will probably go with the TH10 from Caselabs. Which Ive heard of positive flow. Would It be a good idea to put the 2 quads on the bottom of the base blowing into it?

Last edited:
You didnt make clear, get a single 4gb and a 2gb reference? And yeah Ive had 3 monitor set ups before. I like them but my dual 6870s cant handle most. When my one monitor broke, I didnt care enough to get a replacement.

If you're going for the big bang of a build with Nvidia Surround, I'd grab a Titan 6GB because it has more than enough Vram for future proof. Titan is a tad slower than the GTX 690 but is more powerful in other areas (computation) and a ton of ram. Its a downclocked server K20 GPU. This GPU is great for benchmarking (Broke world records already), ray tracing, rendering and of course gaming OR you could wait for the next series (700) but were not sure when its coming out. Rumor has it that its coming out around 3rd quarter and it might possibly be a "Titan Lite". A downclocked version of the Titan.

How come quad 680 isnt possible?

Quad 680 is possible, but NVIDIA like to call it 4 way SLI
Unless you want to build the baddest *** pc on the block than go with 4 EVGA GTX 680.
Most people go with 2 680, some people like to go with 3 to add the cool factor to their pc 4 GTX 680 SLI is just overkill.
Want EVGA GTX 680 hydro copper, keep looking on Amazon and ebay and you will eventually come across some.
I think that the factory water block from EVGA is one of the best and it also match the card perfectly.

If you're going for the big bang of a build with Nvidia Surround, I'd grab a Titan 6GB because it has more than enough Vram for future proof. Titan is a tad slower than the GTX 690 but is more powerful in other areas (computation) and a ton of ram. Its a downclocked server K20 GPU. This GPU is great for benchmarking (Broke world records already), ray tracing, rendering and of course gaming OR you could wait for the next series (700) but were not sure when its coming out. Rumor has it that its coming out around 3rd quarter and it might possibly be a "Titan Lite". A downclocked version of the Titan.

Rumor is that AMD will release their 8000 series card Q4 this year or early next year and it's gonna be faster than GTX680.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/8000/pages/8000-series.aspx#3

Last edited:
One thing that I've found from planning out my build is that performance-pcs offers a lot of the same parts but for cheaper. Before you pull the trigger on buying your components, you may want to shop around.

Never liked when OPs dont give updates, so here is one. Im going down to my fathers this summer and have stopped all work, I cashed out the 800 I had and bought a guitar. In August I will resume working and hopefully Ill have enough money in February. My current computer does a brilliant job and although she shows her age she should last me another year without problem.

Im hoping that Ill be able to get a 700 series GPU, and Intels next CPU line.

I appreciate the help with the planning and I cant wait to see this thing come alive.

Back