• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build - Help picking a case please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axion

Hi Chaps

Been doing some research reading and more or less decided on the following:
CPU: 6600k or 6700k
GFX: Geforce 1070 of some description

I'll be buying a Synology DS916+ for storage, so will probably only need to include 1 SSD and 1 HDD in my build.

I do have a spare Fractal Design Node 304 lying around, but overall I think I prefer an upright design for aesthetics.

My last builds have been using a Lian Li PC61B (~13 years ago), and then a Lian Li PC-A17B (~8 years ago). So you see I'm due a new computer haha.
I'd like to keep it as small as possible.
I'd like it to be black, ideally anodized aluminium.
I doubt I'll bother going water cooling, I've never dabbled in it before... but could maybe go for an AIO solution if they're reliable? Doubt I'll be chopping and changing very much.

Generally speaking I like the styling on Lian Li and Fractal Design. Something clean, sleek, and black.
I don't mind going for a small ATX midi tower, mATX or ITX.
Not fussed on whether it has room for an optical drive or not - i don't think I'll bother with one to be honest!

I just asked a very similar question, and Blaylock pointed me to the sticky in the case forums which has links to the 'recommended' cases of OCF. Check it out here. It's a good start!

If you're considering M-ATX/ITX etc, consider the Fractal Define Nano S for ITX, or Define Mini C for M-ATX. I think perhaps the Mini C may suit your requirements better and give you plenty of room to work with.

Otherwise consider the Phanteks line as well. phanteks evolv itx for ITX, or Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Micro for M-ATX.

Thanks guys

I have read the sticky (before I posted) and have read up a lot on various cases.
I started off really wanted something small, but these tempered glass cases do look rather slick (not sure I'm patient enough to keep them looking good though haha).

I wish Phanteks did the tempered glass model in the mAtx or ITX varieties. The new Corsair 460X is potentially interesting too.

I have to agree with Mjolnir. For a sleek black look its really hard to beat Fractal Designs. I like their Define series as they have windowed, non-windowed, and silent versions. The fact that they are almost half the cost of the Lian-Li while maintaining a high quality is a big plus too.

Back