• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtkxhom3r

so iv been out of the game for a couple years now and its time for a new build (disregard the sig its outdated)

right now im rocking a MSI p67a-g45 with a 2600k

so originally i was going to get a 1155 socket board so i can use my current cpu but now that haswell is out how are they doing? is it worth spending a extra 300 bucks? im perfectly fine with my 2600k but like i said iv been out of the game lol

either way what board would you recommend for socket 1155/1150???
im looking to spend 200-300 bucks maybe more if its really worth it... i want i high end board looking to run 3 or 4 amd cards (gaming/bitcoin mining)

thanks in advanced it feels good to be back on the forums :attn:

If you my opinion i would keep the 2600k( it runs cooler than ivy or haswell)
I rock the asrock extreme6,i don't game so i can't help you there.
But if i could have found a 2600k for the right price i would have got that instead of the 3770k.
I am sure others will chime in soon about the 2600k

Stick to the 2600K.

For the 3-4 GPUs part, look for boards with a PLX chip. That might help narrow your search down a bit. I'd be more specific but I'm on mobile at the moment.

wow was not expecting that response about the 2600k lmao good to know i still have a good chip.... so the other chips run hotter but how about performance are they much better? or just a 5-10 increase?

Between Sandy and Haswell, maybe a little more than 10%.

That's at equal clock speed though, and remember that high end air cooling only gets to around 4.3-4.4GHz on Haswell and 4.5GHz on Ivy. Midrange air cooling ($30 instead of $70) got you to 4.5GHz, if not higher on Sandy.

General consensus is that only people with first gen Core i or older should upgrade to Haswell.

+1 what Knufire said..
Some people just have to have the newest thing out.
OC it with a good air cooler and you'll be golden
The 2600k rocks. I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it.

Last edited:
Nice keep that puppy and find the mobo you want and you will be happy.
Whats your water set up if i may ask?

2 swiftech 120.3 rads with pushpull config fans 2 separate loops one for gpu's one for cpu running with mcp655 pumps and i forgot the cpu waterblock it was something supreme.....lol gpu is running a full cover block

The i7-2600k is still an awesome cpu, no reason to upgrade IMHO. It also is an amazing overclocker so you know you can push it pretty far.

I'd get an ASRock Z77 board, I have the Extreme9 and have had my cpu at 5GHz with no problems. It is also capable of doing full 16x by 16x PCIE 3.0 crossfire/SLI where as most other boards can only do 16x/8x or 8x/8x for dual configurations... It can also handle quad fire and quad sli. It uses the PLX PEX 8747 bridge.

hmm 16x16 huh... i wonder what the asus maximus v can do.... im just a sucker for all the oc gimmicks lmfao

do you know if the 7970 maxes out a 8x slot? i remember back in the day the 5 series cards didnt

Don't bother with the ROG board...there's cheaper options for PLX boards.

2.0 x8 or 3.0 x8? Should be fine either way.

Gona sound like a broken record but defo stick with the 2600k, no point in upgrading to IB or haswell tbh. If you can get 4.8 on your chip you are laughing as you will have similar performance to both IB and haswell max OC's on similar or the same cooling. Unless you want to delid em. Also the difference between a PCIE2/3 is negligible. As far as i am aware it doesnt even have more than a 1% difference on my 780 :p.

Gona sound like a broken record but defo stick with the 2600k, no point in upgrading to IB or haswell tbh. If you can get 4.8 on your chip you are laughing as you will have similar performance to both IB and haswell max OC's on similar or the same cooling. Unless you want to delid em. Also the difference between a PCIE2/3 is negligible. As far as i am aware it doesnt even have more than a 1% difference on my 780 :p.

thats cus its not as good as my 7970's :p jk jk

FYI about pcie16x 2.0 vs 3.0 on a Z77 board... You can only unlock 3.0 if you have the newer Ivybridge CPU, your sandy bridge i7-2600k will run the slots at pcie16x 2.0

But like Knufire said, there's no real life differences in performance.

Last edited:
wait will i am on sli 780's holmes!:attn: I am already hitting 62.5 fps on heaven with a single 780 :O

:eek: very nice man i just fired up bf3 last night after some cpu overclocking... ran it with everything on max on eyefinity 5760*1080 the lowest was 55fps 60sum most of the time :)

Very nice... I've always wanted to go to a 5760*1080 eyefinity set up... Just costs a lot to get going! I just ordered the ASUS VG248QE (24", 1920x1080 LED, 144Hz, 1ms response, 350cd/m2 brightness, 80M resolution)... I'll probably only notice the difference in quake live and movies.

Last edited:
wow thats a bad *** monitor man grats! and 5760 is nice i feel so lost and constricted when i use one monitor at work... but i didnt get real nice monitors i got el cheapo acer default led monitors from bestbuy

Back