• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MunkyTOS

Hey OC'ers,

After snagging a rosewill rackmount off newegg i've decided to put more effort into building my own HTPC. I plan to back up my DVD collection to it and also be able to record live tv and stream over the network. I've gone through a bit of information throughout the guides listed in the stickies but still have questions about personal preference as to software and hardware.

I have a motherboard from my old system MSI P67A. Would this be a worthwhile board to use? Also recommendations vs a CPU with built in graphics versus CPU and dedicated graphics card? From what i've seen from a few guides and builds people have used APUs or intel equiv and would like to know if anyone can give input from personal experience.

Other parts I have looked into getting but dont feel 100% about yet are

Tuner

Memory

and a generic bluray drive, whatever is on sale.

As far as budget i have no specific number or limit in mind. Obviously I would like to save where I can but will shell out more for quality parts or anything that will greatly increase the usability of this pc. Thanks in advance!

** Edit **
As a side note I am not super concerned with noise level to an extent so long as it cant be heard over the TV. Also if anyone has advice on CPU cooling, that would be great :)

Last edited:
Hey OC'ers,

After snagging a rosewill rackmount off newegg i've decided to put more effort into building my own HTPC. I plan to back up my DVD collection to it and also be able to record live tv and stream over the network. I've gone through a bit of information throughout the guides listed in the stickies but still have questions about personal preference as to software and hardware.

I have a motherboard from my old system MSI P67A. Would this be a worthwhile board to use? Also recommendations vs a CPU with built in graphics versus CPU and dedicated graphics card? From what i've seen from a few guides and builds people have used APUs or intel equiv and would like to know if anyone can give input from personal experience.

Other parts I have looked into getting but dont feel 100% about yet are

Tuner

Memory

and a generic bluray drive, whatever is on sale.

As far as budget i have no specific number or limit in mind. Obviously I would like to save where I can but will shell out more for quality parts or anything that will greatly increase the usability of this pc. Thanks in advance!

** Edit **
As a side note I am not super concerned with noise level to an extent so long as it cant be heard over the TV. Also if anyone has advice on CPU cooling, that would be great :)

that case won't be the best for a HTPC. the motherboard will work, but it will require a discrete GPU since the P67 chipset doesn't make use of the IGPU of any of the 1155 CPU's.

My suggestion would be a case like this

A motherboard like this

and a this CPU

as for the memory 2x4GB 1600Mhz ram

blu ray and tuner I won't be much help on.

Hopefully this helps get you in the right direction.

Thanks for the reply

I do agree this case, after seeing it in person isnt the most ideal for a typical HTPC but i feel like i'd be better off with more room to work with and also more room for drives. Thanks for the input about the motherboard support because chances are i would have easily overlooked that by mistake.

Back