• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, please check my parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NobuOda

Registered
Hi I'm currently in the process in building my computer. Some parts have been purchased or on the way and others I'm either not sure about or waiting to get £paid £ to buy the parts. Can't someone have a look at my build and tell me what you guys think?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Chnv7P

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!!!

I merged your double posts and created your own thread instead of being inside the 'how to build a PC thread'. You will get more exposure and answers here. :)

As far as your list, what is the PC going to be used for?

A couple of things I noticed:
1. You overbought on the motherboard (unless you need a specific feature it has). You could have bought something half that cost and been fine likely.
2. High end build and budget slow ram... not a good match. That ram will hold performance back in some things by a couple percent. You want to get DDR3 1866/2133 these days. The price isn't much more.

Yeah sorry the ram I know isn't really on par with the other items. I couldn't decide on something I wanted so I just left that there. I'm looking for 2x8gb 1866 CL9 sticks and yeah the builds mainly for gaming. Maybe video editing as I want to get into that and also some zbrush modeling. Oh and thanks for the reply and to fix me a new thread, this is the first time I've been registered to a forum.

Well I know I'm lame and everything but I kinda wanted some sticks that pulsate white lights. Or that change with temp or apps or something.. also does it matter if I get 8gb sticks or 4gb sticks other then how quickly i will max the capacity. Like how fast they would read or anything like that. I was thinking of getting 2x4gb sticks but someone said it's better to just get 1x8gb stick because the way it would read and would be more efficient, I'm little clueless about this to be honest, I thought ram was just. . .ram :) thanks for replies by the way.

You want 2x4gb to take advantage of dual channel.

You want lights, you will pay a premium...Corsair dominator.

Yeah I've seen those they loom awesome but not sure about the speed and timings. The ones I wanted from Avexir were the msi red dragon ones. Even though from the build you won't be able to see them, but at least I know they are there hahaha but the speed and timing for them went that good either. I'll have another look around. Just a little dissapointed today when I should be happy that I got my motherboard delivered today...they sent the wrong one.
-_- was supposed to be the deluxe with all the accessories but sent the pro.

Now is you chance to save a ton of money and return it........ or use the pro and have them refund the money. ;)

As I said earlier, unless you NEED one of the features on that board that another doesn't have, its not worth it (to me). There are more inexpensive boards that will suit your needs just fine. For example, the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6. It is a very solid midrange board for $150. It will overclock just fine (your cooler will be the limit), has great audio, plenty of connectivity, and even m.2 IIRC.

What features are you looking for out of a board? What is your color theme since that seems important?

Well since its a smoked window I doubt much of it will be seen anyways. I wanted some white lights in there and the window will dim them a bit as its tinted which is perfect since I want to put a mech figurine in there (ha) and want it to be seen a bit and should match my graphics card. Motherboard wise I want the m.2, Bluetooth 4.0. SPEED POWER ALL OF IT. haha sorry. I like the aesthetics if it will even show and also the goodies. Since its a £300 motherboard and was getting it for £245 I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Seems like a solid board and a lot of good reviews and I'll save £100 or so but I think I'll stick with the Asus one I went with even if it's a little waste of money. So fat I think everything is compatible. Just have to worry about the ram I'll be getting and the gpu because £500 for the gtx980 hof is a little too much. You think I should wait for the 980 ti? With the 6gddr vram?

Would 4gb be a problem for rendering in or making zbrush models and effect transfer speeds? If so then I might go for 2x8gb so I have no problems in the future. Just have to find that eye candy with 1833/2133 cl9 at a decent price tag and

I chose Crucial Ballistix Tracer 16GB kit (8GBx2) Red/Green kit, is this a good choice for £95? It's 1600mhz CL8 I think.

Back