• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What will it's primary use be? Gaming? Rendering images? Crunching and decrunching DB's? Surfing the internet? We need to know what is the most taxing use scenario you anticipate doing much of.

What will it's primary use be? Gaming? Rendering images? Crunching and decrunching DB's? Surfing the internet? We need to know what is the most taxing use scenario you anticipate doing much of.

It will be used for gaming as well as some streaming of games also. Mostly MMOs but looking to keep options open as well. No real rendering or anything will be going on with it.

I would suggest waiting new parts are around the corner for 10th gen. Z390 won't support future processors beyond 9th gen. Do your games have a specific requirement for single threaded performance / clock speed?

All indications are that for gaming Intel will continue to hold at least a small advantage over AMD with the advent of 10th generation Intel. Since your budget is generous and gaming is your use scenario I would second Zerileous' recommendation to hold off a bit until the 10th generation Intel desktop CPUs are on the market. Should be any time now.

Are there any concerns with the new architecture having issues in regards to hearing on initial release? I’m a few generations behind on the Intel release debacles but I know that has been an issue for them in the past.

Not that I'm aware of. It's not especially all that new. They've managed a modest increase in core count and speed on the same 14nm process and architecture as 8th and 9th gen, and have returned HT support to most CPUs, however prices are expected to be lower, with about $100 less for the equivalent of 9900kf (10700kf). It also comes on a new socket and chipset. The difference might not be much but with the release weeks away it at least makes sense from a money standpoint to wait.

Thing is, the best prices will come at release time. There are typically bios bugs that get worked out over a few months after release if you can endure that. I got an email promo from New Egg this morning advertising pre-orders for 10th gen Intels but could not find anything on the website itself. Not that I'm interested, mind you.

Back