• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"New" build... what to do with it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mod-R

So... Been accumulating spare parts for a while, and recently I realized all I was missing was a CPU and RAM and I could build myself a new rig based on older parts. So I went ahead and ordered the CPU, and took out one 4GB stick from my main rig and here we are :

Some Cooler Master case
Asus M4A78T-E (HDMI/Optical/E-Sata)
Phenom X4 955
Stock cooler (have a Kuhler 620 to replace that if I decide to overclock)
1 Side intake fan/1 Rear exhaust fan (Cooler Master El Cheapo x2)
4GB 1600mhz (to be replaced by 2x2GB or 2x4GB 1333Mhz one of those days)
Corsair CX-500M
Some LG DVD-RW IDE
Onboard graphics (HD 3300)

Installed Win 7 64 Bits and ready to operate. Thought I wanted to build me a dedicated home server, but my main rig is already doing that, and with its respectable specs it still won't play nice with HD video through DLNA on my Elite BDP-53FD through 30' of CAT-5E. As a matter of fact, ripped Dora isn't looking so good neither. Perhaps there's something I'm doing wrong, but I seem to remember a few people complaining of the same thing with DLNA. If it can help, and if I can actually support that, I could probably rewire everything and go with 1 GBs Cat-6 (on the new rig)... So I'm wondering how much help that older rig really would bring as a media server for movies. Also, I could install it beside the TV and use HDMI directly. I'm thinking HD 3300 with 128MB side port memory will probably handle that correctly, seeing as most of my movies are ripped DVDs for the kids and some HD MKVs of mine. I'd rather use Blu Ray discs if I can help it, but I would sure love it if I could DLNA some HD MKV smoothly, I could start ripping a 600+ DVDs/BDs collection and gradually build myself a huge library with ease of playback.

On the other hand, I could sell the thing. Investment was 90$ on the CPU and 1 hour to build it as nicely as possible, so any price over 200$ would be satisfying, but I'm wondering, how much is it REALLY worth, taken into account what it could help me build for myself? 300-350$ would be quite nice, but am I loosing in the end?

What would you all do with it?

EDIT : Oh, damn, I forgot... Router is Asus RT-N53, as it is it's plugged directly to the BDP. I also have a RT-N12 set as a repeater, and it can do AP too, if this can be of service.

Last edited:
This is a good HTPC or Files server box. Enough power to play HD movies.

I stream HD from my server to my HTPC on the 5ghz wireless band and i never had issue.

Awww come on is that even possible? I tried through WiFi using my RT-N12 to plug directly to the BDP with a different CAT-5E... Problem gone! Have you ever heard of a bad Ethernet cable? I often dig out spares of them from just about anywhere and use them with no problems. I've checked the 30' length and there's no sign of tear or crush or anything. Anyway... Don't know why I hadn't thought about trying wireless. :D Well it's been up since a couple of days only, never cared to use DLNA for entertainment until recently, what with all the other machines I have to easily play most of my media. I probably would have come around to testing that in the next days. Thanks!

I meant to ask... where are you from in Quebec exactly, if you don't mind... curious.

Also, more importantly, what do you use to centralize all your media playback on your HTPC? WMP? XBMC?

I'm near Trois-Rivières. Sur la rive sud de Trois-Rivières.

I'm mostly a windows user but i will possibly try XBMC when i have spare time. The thing is that i also use my HTPC for some light gaming, games like Worms or similar with friends. Both my HTPC and main rig have legit windows 7 pro x64 installed, GF laptop is a W7 home and server/nas currently run XP pro x64 but i'm currently looking foward to install windows home server 2011, it's only 50$ and will do everything i want to do with my server box.

network
Asus RT-N66U router
Main rig have dual LAN cat6 to the N66U
Server single LAN cat6 to the N66U
HTPC is alone on the 5ghz band, TP-Link TL-WDN4800 wireless adapter
GF laptop and many other small device ( tablet, phone ) on the 2.4ghz.

I have a 200mbs powerline adapter kit laying around just in case the HTPC have trouble with wireless.

Last edited:
Well hello! Je suis de Valleyfield.

So you're using Windows Media Player for HD movies? It seems to support MKV more or less effectively... Or perhaps you're using a different file type or program. Sorry for asking, but I seem to have a hard time finding one that will do it all. VLC perhaps?

As for light gaming, Worms was exactly what I had in mind for my HTPC. Worms and such... I'll perhaps throw in a video card and finish roaming all about Fallout New Vegas, but I know I'll mostly game on my current rig.

Thanks for the help!

NP

I use a prog called "media player lite" on my HTPC to read video, MPlite. It work great, never had issue playing HD movies with this prog... i had few codec problem with VLC in the past.

Had a GTS450 in that HTPC before the GTX650ti, was more than enough but i like to swap hardware when newer thing come out !

Well, if you add a decent used graphic card (5850/5870) for $80/$100, you could turn it into a nice gaming rig for when "les amis passent boire l'apéro"!

Well, if you add a decent used graphic card (5850/5870) for $80/$100, you could turn it into a nice gaming rig for when "les amis passent boire l'apéro"!

I can actually get a brand new HD 6870 for about 60$, so that would probably be my choice. That being said, I don't have too much "amis" that come here "pour boire l'apéro"... More of a lonely type. So it'll be mainly for my personal benefit. Heureux de partager un peu en français, merci du commentaire!

^Thanks. You know you can get pretty cheap 5850's/5870's around here? I've just seen a pair of classified were there is 5850 for 65€ and a 5870 for€70. I believe people are not yet into bitcoin mining in France, lol!

Edit: well, between "peuple colonisés" "ghje importante di cundivida"!

^Thanks. You know you can get pretty cheap 5850's/5870's around here? I've just seen a pair of classified were there is 5850 for 65€ and a 5870 for€70. I believe people are not yet into bitcoin mining in France, lol!

Edit: well, between "peuple colonisés" "ghje importante di cundivida"!

If i was not paying my electricity, i'd be mining for SURE ! ;)

Back