• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build with AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I'm looking into changing my motherboard with the news about Intel CPUs and their little problem with hackers that you may have heard about in the news recently. I may not decide to switch, but I thought I would put out some feelers about a good AMD motherboard for Ryzen. I'm looking for micro or mini ATX, as my case is a Fractal Design ARC Mini R2. Also, I'm looking for a Ryzen CPU that is close to the i7-6700 I have now. I'm guessing with Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7, AMD is trying to be equal with the i5 and i7, therefore I'm looking for R7 I think. With Intel, I went with an ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene, and I looked at AMD motherboards on Newegg and I'm not sure what AMD motherboard would be close to what I have. Any recommendations for a motherboard and processor would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

I wanted to add one more thing. I realize that both companies (Intel and AMD) are affected by this hardware problem, but I thought I might still try to switch, as AMD is much less affected by this issue. Plus, even though it won't be my first AMD build, it would be my first build with Ryzen, which could be fun. Thanks again for any information that is able to be provided. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt switch...consider waiting to see the performance hits on patching before doing so. Preliminary results show not many affects on a nornal user...but something more concrete needs to come out.

Not to mention that new Ryzen will be released in ~3 months so I would just wait.

AFAIK only Intel has these mentioned issues but they try add other CPU brands in their comments.

Well if you do want to switch.
First question is do you want to OC? My guess is no based on what you got.
Second question is primary use? Windows and Gaming or any thread intensive work?

If just Windows and Games and no OC I would prolly go 1600X. Gives 6c\12t and 3.6 stock 4.0 turbo speeds so right around manual OC speeds when gaming.

There is no comparable AMD board to your micro Z170 really. They don't make any high end AMD micro atx boards. Most are designed to be cheap.

Cheap: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Good: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Best: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If this is just because of the Flax and worry of getting hacked . From what I have read they need to have physical access to your system ...
as well it only gives them access to things already stored in memory .
Hardwareunboxed did a review on win10 with a 8700k on pre and post patch . The difference for gaming was a wash ( post patch even won some ) withing margin of error . Only difference really consistently noted was 4k ( I think write ) results for SSD's . So for a home user very little difference .
IMO not worth it to side/down grade to a Ryzen if system is for normal / gaming .

Not to mention that new Ryzen will be released in ~3 months so I would just wait.

AFAIK only Intel has these mentioned issues but they try add other CPU brands in their comments.

Thanks for letting me know about the new Ryzen chips. You're right. I think I want to wait. Also thanks to Daleon for letting me know about AMD boards. I didn't know that AMD doesn't really have any high end boards. I will do some more research and wait for news from CES (which is next week) and look at the different boards and CPUs at that event. I do want to upgrade in the near future and I figure Intel is going to have to come out with new chips to fix this issue anyway, so I'll look into both AMD and Intel in the next few months.

Back