• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Woes w/ Asus P9X79 Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would also write down the serial numbers of the parts your sending in to RMA.
If the parts are defective I highly doubt they can be repaired.
It sounds like they keep sending you back the same defective motherboard.
Where did you buy the motherboard at? Did the box appear to be teapered with?
I've purchased items from the egg before that were suppose to be new but in "open box" condition.
As far as that high end Thermaltake PS tester goes, I'm a non believer in them things, been there done that. Get yourself a decent fluke mulimeter. You can do alot more troubleshooting and with accuracy.

Never got far enough to even consider an operating system.

Only time something has shown on the display was during the very first power-on ... the system "tried" to POST, displayed things that you would expect to see, then powered down on its own with the symptoms mentioned in this thread.

:confused:

just in case you didn't know, the 2011 cpu's or boards dont have onboard graphics so you must use a pci graphic card to make something happen.. and you don't say anything about trying another gpu so did you try that? almost same happen to me when i start up system without having powercords plugged in to my gpu ... (btw im pretty sure it have something to do with gpu, the reason i get 00 in linux is because i dont have drivers for gpu in it so it thinks there is no gpu in it). only thing i can think of

Last edited:
This is a REALLY good point that I completely overlooked... Double check those serial numbers!

Make sure your they did not send you the same board you sent them, (that is why I always do an advanced RMA), also I have had terrible luck with the H100 coolers leaking. I just got done cleaning up a mess from that issue.

As a quick update ... after several more RMA's on my ASUS P9X79 Deluxe board without any success, I decided to bite the bullet & buy another board.

This time, I pruchased an ASRock Extreme9. Using the exact same components, this board posted on the first build attempt & has been funtioning perfectly ever since.

I can only conclude that there was some sort of compatability issues with my components & the P9X79 ... even though ASUS claims that the components are compatable.

As to the S/N & my various RMA's .... sometimes I would get a different S/N in return, and sometimes I'd get the same. However, in the case where it was the same, the board was still "in fact" a different board altogether I always took detailed pics of each board). I found that ASUS was applying/changing the S/N's of the boards as they pleased. I one point, I even had two boards and BOTH had the exact same S/N!

As a quick update ... after several more RMA's on my ASUS P9X79 Deluxe board without any success, I decided to bite the bullet & buy another board.

This time, I pruchased an ASRock Extreme9. Using the exact same components, this board posted on the first build attempt & has been funtioning perfectly ever since.

I can only conclude that there was some sort of compatability issues with my components & the P9X79 ... even though ASUS claims that the components are compatable.

As to the S/N & my various RMA's .... sometimes I would get a different S/N in return, and sometimes I'd get the same. However, in the case where it was the same, the board was still "in fact" a different board altogether I always took detailed pics of each board). I found that ASUS was applying/changing the S/N's of the boards as they pleased. I one point, I even had two boards and BOTH had the exact same S/N!

Well imagine that, Yeah I have had really great luck with both Asus and MSI Never have given me a reason to switch only except for one issue. That is OC'ng on the x79 Deluxe Asus board, it will naturally do it from EZ Bios, but if you go to set the numbers manually they never stay configured.

Also did I tell you that ASUS is repairing my "Water Damaged" Board Free? yeah it was dry when they got it and they replaced it. But now with your issues and ASUS I am beginning to wonder.

Dev

What is up with the ASUS Deluxe X79 board, if I use the EZ UEFI Bios overclocking I can get 4.197 out of the 3930. When I try and bang on the number manually in Advanced Setup it dumps them out every reboot. I have heard this from every forum I have been in, Everyone seems to have good luck with the ASUS Rampage or the ASRock (High End Board)

These all have 8 memory slots and support up to 2133 memory and up to the 3960 Extreme processors.

If anyone has a work around for the ASUS Deluxe x79 I would love to know

Thanks
Dev

I think I finally got the intel on the x79 Deluxe board issues when over clocking. I have been hitting up several forums and seem to be getting the same responses from a variety of users. It is a bug in the firmware, it causes the settings to drop when you "Save Changes and Restart" I have heard this from Asus and users alike. I have found the ASRock Extreme 11 to be one of the more popular boards for over clocking and ease of over clocking. Although it is a $600.00 board it is a well rounded feature full E-ATX board. It also has the LSI 2808 SAS 8i Host Controller built on. It is the equivalent to the PCI-e LSI 9207 4e / 4i Plug In Card. I now have 2 Barebones Deluxe boards w/ i7 3820k chips on them and 8 GB of memory on them I am selling to buy the ASRock Extreme 11 board, I have tried to find fault 9 ways to none with that board and all I come up with is positive compliments. So with that said I think I am going that route.

I will keep you posted as to the progress of the upgrade and over clock.

Also an unrelated issue has anyone ever had a 5.25 component that had the screw mounting holes that were brass inserts inserted into a rubber gromet, and in the process of tightening them down they pull out. Anyone know a suggestion of keeping this from happening. My idea is epoxying washers over the rubber inserts to hold in the brass nuts, then inserting the component into the 5.25 bay so when it is tightened down the brass nuts do not pull out. This component happens to be my Reservoir / Pump assembly that mounts into the 5.25 bay. I have managed to collect up all the brass nuts and so I think I can make it work, but if anyone else has been down this road with a better idea I am open to suggestions.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance

Regards
Dev

Last edited:
So I made the mistake of falling for the Asus P9X79 Deluxe back in September, and as of now (December), I have yet to have a functional PC using this board. I am absolutely, totally, at a loss as to what the problem could be!

Build Detail:
Board: Asus P9X79 Deluxe (RMA'd x2)
Chip: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz (RMA 'd x2)
Cooling: Corsair H100
Power: CoolerMaster 1200W Pro 80 Gold (RMA'd x2)
RAM: 1st Try: 16GB of Corsair Vengence - 2nd Try: 16GB of GSkill Ripjaws Z
Vid: EVGA GeForce GTX670
Boot Drive: Intel 520 SSD 240GB
Data Drive: Hitachi SATA 6gbs 2TB HDD
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

So on the first power-on, my system actually "did" show video & attempt to POST. It got about 1-min in & shutdown on it's own ... never to boot again. So I did all the typical system checks, ending with a bare bench test ... nothing. All the system would do is run in a continuous loop of spinning the fans for a second & flickering some LED's.

2nd board shows up from Asus; it was missing a heatsink lug out of the box ... so right back it went (no system test with this board).

3rd board shows up from Asus & looked good, so into the build it goes. Still, I get the exact same results ... "00" Q-Code, no beeps, a solid red CPU_LED, and NO POST. Yep, I even updated the BIOS.

A call back to Asus results in the attention now being on the CPU (Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz). So it get's RMA'd. New one arrives brand new in the box, install it, & same result.

Next call back to Asus results in the Power Supply being the focus (CoolerMaster 1200W Pro 80 Gold) ... even though my Thermaltake PS Tester says it's A-OK. So, I RMA the Power Supply. New one arrives, install it, & same result.

Call back to Asus results in yet another RMA for the board ...

Sounds like ASUS is tryin to pass the buck on everything but what it really is, Read on I think I have figured it out, mulling around the forums and networking with people.

I think I have your answer, not a good one however but from what I have been seeing in the forums and from ASUS themselves it is a Firmware bug, it only affects the Deluxe model, The extreme and the Pro are so far no issues.

However I have been hearing nothing but good about the ASRock Extreme 11 e-Atx board, although it is a $600.00 board but is feature packed including an LSI 2808 onboard 8i SAS controller, it is the equivalent to the
LSI PCI-e 9207 Plug in Card, everyone I have talked with say it is the easiest board to over clock and Raid. although everyone is stating that you must do a BIOS Flash upon installing for the LSI controller and the Main Board BIOS since the board is so new that is what ASRock Recommends and they even send you the disc's with the board that contain the newest firmware.

I have been told that on the 39xxK processors they are banging up the clock to 5 Ghz and over with no issues very stable. I have 2 ASUS Deluxe x79 boards here with 3820 chips and 8 GB of memory in each which I am going to sell and buy the ASRock Extreme 11 and drop my 3930 on there with my custom Loop Liquid Cooling system and try for the high 4.xx to maybe even 5.xx.

But yeah if you can do it do away with the ASUS Deluxe, Now I find if I use the EZ Over Clock Bios I can get 4.197 out of the 3930 at 35c 94F. but I can not get it to hold the manual settings. every time they drop out as it has to do a reboot after the changes are made thus dropping everything back to stock. For a $369.00 Board I would be expecting more quality especially out of ASUS. I tell ya it has made me a game changer.

Hope this helps

Regards
Dev

Back