• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build wont Boot (Help please)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XRocker15

Hey guys this is my first post here, but I've been a viewer for awhile. I recently decided to upgrade my cpu and mobo but I've got a problem. I've never switched out a mobo before but everything is hooked up properly.

When I go to power on the computer, the fans spin up for 1 second, then it dies, then spins for 1 second, dies, etc over and over again. Like it's getting power, but not enough. The power button on my case is broken, so on my old mobo, all I did was press the Power button on the mobo and it started perfectly. But this new mobo I got, doesn't have a power button on it so I have to use the switch on my case, which is broken. I just twisted the two wires together, and it's getting power, Ive got green lights on the mobo, just not enough to boot up the whole system. I only changed the cpu and mobo, some I am assuming the power supply is ok. Any ideas?

Specs:
Intel i5 4670K
Asus z-87 A LGA 1150 Mobo
7950 3GB
8GB G-skill Ripjaw RAM
750 Corsair TX PSU

If it has something to do with the power connection, then will I need a new case? It's stupid how the board doesnt have a power on button!

THanks for your help!

use a screwdriver to momentarily jump the pins on the board twisting wires together is like holding down the power button its causing it to start then reset

use a screwdriver to momentarily jump the pins on the board twisting wires together is like holding down the power button its causing it to start then reset

Which pins specifically? Im new to all this. Should I twist the wires together before I jump the pins? And I'm probably going to need a new case right?

Which pins specifically? Im new to all this. Should I twist the wires together before I jump the pins? And I'm probably going to need a new case right?

ASUSZ87-CTop_zps28111737.jpg

Short the two PWR pins with a metal object (ie screwdriver). Just for a quick touch. Don't keep the metal object on the pins. That causes a reset loop which is your current problem.

As someone else mentioned, twisting the wires together is like holding the button down constantly. That's not what you want.

And no you shouldn't twist the wires together before you touch the pins. Forget about twisting any wires or screwing with anything.

And definitely get a new case. :thup:

Short the two PWR pins with a metal object (ie screwdriver). Just for a quick touch. Don't keep the metal object on the pins. That causes a reset loop which is your current problem.

Which are the power pins? I'm a dumbass lol. I just orsered a corsair 500r case :)

As someone else mentioned, twisting the wires together is like holding the button down constantly. That's not what you want.

And no you shouldn't twist the wires together before you touch the pins. Forget about twisting any wires or screwing with anything.

Get a momentary button from your local electronics store and install it on the front of the case.

new case asap. even a super cheap azza case would do for now. ANYTHING is better than trying to mod a broken case at this time.

"Which are the power pins? I'm a dumbass lol. I just orsered a corsair 500r case "
They're the pins I circled in the bottom right corner of the photo.

500R is a good case. I have one and do not regret the purchase. You can put a ridiculous number of fans on that case.

"Which are the power pins? I'm a dumbass lol. I just orsered a corsair 500r case "
They're the pins I circled in the bottom right corner of the photo.

500R is a good case. I have one and do not regret the purchase. You can put a ridiculous number of fans on that case.

Yea I can't wait to get my new case. I didn't notice you circled anything bc its in yellow. Ill test it out tonight and report back. Thanks

Oh. My. God. Oh my god. I ****ed something up. OMG! Im freaking out!
So I went to touch the two pins with the screwdriver, not knowing exactly which ones,so i was kinda slowly dragging my screwdriver on top of the pins and I found the correct ones. I must have held it on there no more than 3 seconds. Enough to know that it wasn't helping anything when BANG! I didn't see it exactly because I was focusing on the pins but there was a Loud Pop and the smell like something burning. ****. Did I just destroy my motherboard!! It was literally less than 2 seconds. Im not touching it till tomorrow. I had everything connected and ready to go. My brand new CPU, GPU, EVERYTHING. ..........

Seriously wtf. 2 SECONDS and there goes 500 dollars. I'm so pissed right now. Whos idea was that blbull**** you should have warned me! What do I do?

So I went to touch the two pins with the screwdriver, not knowing exactly which ones,so i was kinda slowly dragging my screwdriver on top of the pins and I found the correct ones. I must have held it on there no more than 3 seconds. Enough to know that it wasn't helping anything when BANG! I didn't see it exactly because I was focusing on the pins but there was a Loud Pop and the smell like something burning. ****. Did I just destroy my motherboard!!
Did you keep those two wires from the switch twisted together all the time? Because that can make the power turn on and then turn off, something you can confirm with another computer by holding down its front power button. The pins are supposed to be shorted just momentarily, less than a second.

However most of the pins on that header can handle even a direct short forever just fine, the lone exception probably being of one of the speaker pins. Is it possible you shorted a different set of pins, like those for a USB port or fan? The affected pins should look different than the rest, possibly slightly melted or blackened with carbon by an arc. The carbon can be cleaned off with alcohol and a Q-tip.

I think in the worst case you'll lose the motherboard speaker, a fan port, or a USB port or two, but the rest of the motherboard should be OK.

I use an old-style wooden pencil instead of a screwdriver or pen to touch header pins together because it has about 10 ohms and won't create a dead short.

Back