• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intrigueme

Registered
I've delayed this build long enough and now seems like an exciting time to go for it. My current PC is doing just fine, been running it for 3 years now. I'm going to had it down to my son. I just want to build something!!!! I've got the itch man! With IB coming and Kepler the timing seems right. I purchased a case I found lying around at the local PC repair shop about a year ago. Here's a link to it: http://www.google.com/products/cata...&sa=X&ei=sfNoT6gPx-iBB_eayKcJ&ved=0CFYQ8gIwAA
If you've never seen this beast, it big. I told the owner I wanted to do a custom build that would be very unique. I paid $50 for it as his Golden Retriver had jumped on the top and dented it in. I painted the whole thing black.

So I'm eager to begin. I can for the first time in my life afford enthusiast grade parts.

Will the IB have 6 cores in the future? The list I saw only 4. I had my eye on the lowwest 6 core SB. (can't imagine spending $1k on proc only!)

Also what's this about a new chipset? The Z77? I have researched quite a bit on this bad boy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131802
It has the X79 chipset. Says it support IB and Pci-e 3.0. Its a beast, I know. I may never get to use all the toys on it, lol!

Want to water cool too. Looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017
Customs are cooler looking though. I've never built one though. Would like to hear others thought that have done a custom. Are they really that hard to maintain?

Then there Kepler vs Amd 7970. When is the Kepler release date anyway? I keep hitting a road block when I google it. All speculation. I currently have a 5770. No complaints. I play Skyrim. looks awesome and plays well. looks sweet on my 48" TV. windows says the max res is 1920x 1080 but skyrim plays in 16?? x 1050 or something. has more to do with Tv than the card I think.

Also would like to hear ppl's suggestions for unique/cool looking thing. maybe a sweet looking flip out temp panel on the front or some lighting/cooling gadgets and gizmos.

:comp:

I like to game. Sky rim. Not a lot of FPS's, but maybe I would with this baby. I used to burn movies but haven't in a while. I used to food on rosetta but haven't for about a year. I don't plan to put a second pc in it. Mainly got it so I wouldn't be cramped inside. Mobo tray sits in the middle and both side panels are see through.

Well, I won't spend $1k on a proc, lol. I could go to $2k or even $3k. I want a unique beast that is real performance machine.

Well, I won't spend $1k on a proc, lol. I could go to $2k or even $3k. I want a unique beast that is real performance machine.

Well the best advise is the word I received when I first asked for help...read the stickies and spend time looking into the postings. Read a lot and pay some dues with a bit of effort before you can start expecting others to be able to give useful, meaningful advise. I am still early in my training. I have changed my design 4 times since November and I am still finding errors in my thinking as I grow to trust the small technical differences hidden within the advise others offer. One hell of a trip though :cool: By the way, start saving, you may find in about 3 months that that $1k CPU is just too exactly right for you... :comp:

I will most likely continue to use my 48" TV as the display, so we won't include that in the budget. If I upgraded it, that would be in November. Black Friday special, 50-55". OS, win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Key board and mouse, I prefer wireless as I use this in my living room while seated in my recliner. I currently us a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. For this build I want a gaming keyboard and mouse, black, back lit maybe red, green or blue.

Well the best advise is the word I received when I first asked for help...read the stickies and spend time looking into the postings. Read a lot and pay some dues with a bit of effort before you can start expecting others to be able to give useful, meaningful advise. I am still early in my training. I have changed my design 4 times since November and I am still finding errors in my thinking as I grow to trust the small technical differences hidden within the advise others offer. One hell of a trip though :cool: By the way, start saving, you may find in about 3 months that that $1k CPU is just too exactly right for you... :comp:

Yes I agree with what your saying. I bought that case 1 year ago. Believe me, I've changed my design many times also. This isn't my first build. I have 3 computers on my home network. I've built all 3. But those builds were done with mature technology and mid grade parts. Now I'm looking at stuff that isn't even out yet. I read stuff everyday but it changes from day to day. Just looking for advice in case I missed something. Yes, if need be I will spend $1k on the processor. I've have it in the bank already. It's just that in the past $200 processors have been plenty good. ;)

Why W7 Ultimate?

I would go something like this...on a single 1080P screen, anything more powerful is a waste. (This is already set up for good Eyefinity performance anyway.)

Capture.JPG
1.JPG

Last edited:
Thats a good build. I dont need the case though. I've looked at that card too but Kepler is just around the corner. Also, why socket 1155? I was looking at 2011, cuz it supports higher end SB processors and IB. Also the i7 2600k is pci-e 2.0. The 7950 is a 3.0 card. Also the home premium is probably a better choice since I'll be getting 8 when that goes retail. (btw, I was eyeing up the i7 3930k, good choice?)

The case looks great. With the extra room you could add a custom water cooler solution with much better performance than the H100 and provide flexibility for your GPU cooling needs. I have a similar view of the Z79 / 2011 socket choice. If the critical cost issues allow, why proceed with a technology which is already backdated by at least a year? I have always found the difference in cost is well offset by the ability to update and keep the core system operational for at least 4 years or two main CPU version cycles.

The case looks great. With the extra room you could add a custom water cooler solution with much better performance than the H100 and provide flexibility for your GPU cooling needs. I have a similar view of the Z79 / 2011 socket choice. If the critical cost issues allow, why proceed with a technology which is already backdated by at least a year? I have always found the difference in cost is well offset by the ability to update and keep the core system operational for at least 4 years or two main CPU version cycles.

Custom water coolers look so cool. What do you recommend? Koolance? Also are they really risky like everyone says? or is that just the Corsair fan boys saying that? Right now i'm leaning toward Z79/2011. Then if I got the 3930k and they do come out with a IB-E I can always sell the 3930K to offset the cost of the new one. With an 1155 board there less of an upgrade path. Also check this out:
All I can say is :shock:! I'm drooling now!

You could easily afford the 2011 platform. The question is whether you're actually going to get any benefit out of it or not. If you're gaming, it's not worth the money, not even close.

1155 boards support SB and IB. 2011 boards support SB-E and IB-E, same upgrade path.

Remember, CPUs don't matter as much as GPUs. Also, flagship GPUs (680/7970) are REALLY overpriced, and the second most powerful card (670/7950) offers much better price/performance. A 2600K and two of the Tier 2 cards paired with a triple-screen setup would be my recommendation.

Last edited:
I'm just saying, it's likely that, if trends follow, a GTX670 would be $350-400 and OC to stock GTX680 speeds.

Trends don't apply this time. I can't post the link to the article right now b/c I'm at work and typing this on my phone. But the article said $499. I hope its true. This would make sense b/c the smaller die is cheaper to produce. Also this is a good way to make AMD pay for pricing the 6970 so high. AMD will have to lowwer their prices now. I love competition and price wars, lol.

Back