• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 6970 was very aggressively priced, I believe you're talking about the 7970 which is indeed overpriced.

However, I wasn't talking about trends in competition, I was talking about trends within a companies own product line. For example:

1. If I remember correctly, the GTX580 was priced at about $500-450 on release and was horribly overpriced for it's performance.
2. The GTX570 was priced about $350, and when overclocked could come VERY close to GTX580 speeds...for $100+ less per card.

I believe the same thing will happen with the GTX680 and the GTX670.

You could easily afford the 2011 platform. The question is whether you're actually going to get any benefit out of it or not. If you're gaming, it's not worth the money, not even close.

1155 boards support SB and IB. 2011 boards support SB-E and IB-E, same upgrade path.

Remember, CPUs don't matter as much as GPUs. Also, flagship GPUs (680/7970) are REALLY overpriced, and the second most powerful card (670/7950) offers much better price/performance. A 2600K and two of the Tier 2 cards paired with a triple-screen setup would be my recommendation.

I get what your saying about the cpu vs. gpu for gaming. But I think I'm leaning more toward the 2011 setup. Just because I'm pretty much only gaming now doesn't mean thats all I'll be doing in a year from now. I would like the flexability to be able to do more. I also agree with your recommendation of the two tier 2 cards and a triple screen setup. However this machine will be in my living room. We watch netflix on the big screen and play the xbox on it also. So the 3 screen setup wont work. Ugh, I hate decisions. :facepalm:

Custom water coolers look so cool. What do you recommend? Koolance? Also are they really risky like everyone says? or is that just the Corsair fan boys saying that? Right now i'm leaning toward Z79/2011. Then if I got the 3930k and they do come out with a IB-E I can always sell the 3930K to offset the cost of the new one. With an 1155 board there less of an upgrade path. Also check this out:
All I can say is :shock:! I'm drooling now!

Custom build is no more risky than factory build if you are somewhat handy. There are may good products which are all time proven. Look through the water cooling forum and make note of the varied solutions others have used, then make a list of the components you want. FrozenCPU and others have a useful wishlist feature which lets you accumulate parts and keep track of costs. Of course you have to keep your wits about you and not click shopping cart in moment of midnight enthusiasm and buy the whole list:eek: Also use Skinneelab and others for some great test data to help inform you on performance choices.

For what you are doing a Corsair H100 would be fine,
A Thermalright True Spirit cooler at $53 (2011 mount may be exra) would also be fine.
The 7970 is more general purpose and the new 680 more Gamer focused, toss up.

Back