• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObsceneJester

briansun1; said:
Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

Ok

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.

Gaming/surfing the web

• What is your budget?

• 1000-1300 usd

1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?

yes on windows no on the others

[*]Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?

1. I am a US citizen ordering from USA
    • Do you have any specific requests with the build?

• I have a list of what I think is good, but I am open to changes

1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?

1. I dont really know what this does or is so maybe in the future.

computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?[*]Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.
    Once again, thank you in advannce for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

This sounds nice and yes I would, but I would need a lot more info about this as Im just doing this for the first time

This is what I'm thinking as far as build:
    Case:Corsair Carbide Series Black 400R Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011011-

PSU: WW)Seasonic M12II-650 BRONZE ATX 650 Power Supply

Graphics: XFXAMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2 Mini Display Port PCI-Express Video Card FX787ACNFC

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core Processor 3.2 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53470

HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

MOBO: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.5V 240-Pin UDIMM BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Would this setup work? I mean do the pieces fit? Cooling is important to me and I would love to add pieces later on to upgrade.

Thank you.

Looks fine to me, though you could go with the i5-3570K for just a bit more and have the ability to overclock it later on.

As the other members have rightly pointed out go with a "K" Series processor so if you do change your mind about Overclocking you can! AJ.

ObsceneJester, do you have a Microcenter near you? Also I agree with the above, about the processor. If the 3470 is the one you want then you don't need a Z77 board you can go with a Z75. Also that power supply is a little much you would be fine with a 500w unit as long as you weren't planning on going to X Fire that Gpu.

ObsceneJester, do you have a Microcenter near you? Also I agree with the above, about the processor. If the 3470 is the one you want then you don't need a Z77 board you can go with a Z75. Also that power supply is a little much you would be fine with a 500w unit as long as you weren't planning on going to X Fire that Gpu.

I do have a Microcenter near me, about 6 miles. Also have a Frys as well.

I dont know what X Fire is.

Gaming/surfing the web

I dont really know what this does or is so maybe in the future.

This sounds nice and yes I would, but I would need a lot more info about this as Im just doing this for the first time

For the intended use you don't need nearly as much as you plan on buying. Most games are GPU based, and most games, even those that are more CPU based, only use one or two cores. And surfing the web is not even an activity worth mentioning when you build a machine like that. You could easily make do with something along the lines of a i3-3220 (dual core with HT) and the very first B75/H77 board that fulfills your requirements.

Which brings us to overclocking. You may have gathered as much by now, but overclocking is simply the possibility to increase CPU frequency quite a lot and boost performance in a noticeable way. With Intel this means, as already pointed out, buying a "K" CPU, and Z77 board, to put things simply.
You don't have to look at it as boosting a system you don't need to boost, but more as a way to "upgrade" that system later down the road with no expense but a little of your time and patience. The same thing would apply to crossfiring that GPU (adding a second, identical card) : probably not something you'll need right from the start, but it could come in handy later down the road too. If you plan to stick with that Radeon GPU, there are good news : Crossfire X is a feature fully implemented in "cheaper" Intel boards, whereas for SLI you usually have to take it a notch or two closer to "high end" boards, within a given series. You could easily find a board that supports Crossfire X, but not overclocking, for less than 100$...

And then there's the future... as much as a CPU the likes of the i3-3220 on a basic board supporting Crossfire X will probably hit a sweet spot for you now, it may, or may not, quickly become a bottleneck in the future, when games will use CPU capacities more extensively. Some already do, as a matter of fact. So quad core is not a bad idea after all, and the thing is, if you're to spend some 160$-180$ on a i5 non-K, then the gap to the i5-3570K is not worth the savings. And it so happens that the board you listed does support all what's needed, so it really just comes down to investing a little more on the CPU - as was already advised, too.

I like the PSU. While I agree that a 450W-550W PSU would be more than enough to support a single graphic card Intel system, there are other benefits that are often overlooked. The first being, you just never know what you're going to add in the system later down the road, like a dual graphics cards setup. Even if you THINK you won't need it NOW, it's only when you'll start using your new system that you'll know for sure what you need. And usually, using a new, better system than what we had previously does lead to doing more and more things than we thought we'd ever do in the first place. On top of that, they usually cost like 10$-20$ more than their 500-550W counterparts. Another benefit of bigger PSU is more cables, more connectors, and hence easier to manage when building, and easier to upgrade in the future. You may not need the 150W more to power up that extra HDD you'll buy six months from now because you'll have decided your computer is to become the media hub of home entertainment... but you may very well need that free Sata connector on that loose cable at the right place, because the other ones are already tied up in such a way that you just can't undo it without having to reconfigure the whole damn cable management.

With all this in mind, your components are perfect, except for the CPU, you should definitely go with the 3570K.

For the intended use you don't need nearly as much as you plan on buying. Most games are GPU based, and most games, even those that are more CPU based, only use one or two cores. And surfing the web is not even an activity worth mentioning when you build a machine like that. You could easily make do with something along the lines of a i3-3220 (dual core with HT) and the very first B75/H77 board that fulfills your requirements.

Which brings us to overclocking. You may have gathered as much by now, but overclocking is simply the possibility to increase CPU frequency quite a lot and boost performance in a noticeable way. With Intel this means, as already pointed out, buying a "K" CPU, and Z77 board, to put things simply.
You don't have to look at it as boosting a system you don't need to boost, but more as a way to "upgrade" that system later down the road with no expense but a little of your time and patience. The same thing would apply to crossfiring that GPU (adding a second, identical card) : probably not something you'll need right from the start, but it could come in handy later down the road too. If you plan to stick with that Radeon GPU, there are good news : Crossfire X is a feature fully implemented in "cheaper" Intel boards, whereas for SLI you usually have to take it a notch or two closer to "high end" boards, within a given series. You could easily find a board that supports Crossfire X, but not overclocking, for less than 100$...

And then there's the future... as much as a CPU the likes of the i3-3220 on a basic board supporting Crossfire X will probably hit a sweet spot for you now, it may, or may not, quickly become a bottleneck in the future, when games will use CPU capacities more extensively. Some already do, as a matter of fact. So quad core is not a bad idea after all, and the thing is, if you're to spend some 160$-180$ on a i5 non-K, then the gap to the i5-3570K is not worth the savings. And it so happens that the board you listed does support all what's needed, so it really just comes down to investing a little more on the CPU - as was already advised, too.

I like the PSU. While I agree that a 450W-550W PSU would be more than enough to support a single graphic card Intel system, there are other benefits that are often overlooked. The first being, you just never know what you're going to add in the system later down the road, like a dual graphics cards setup. Even if you THINK you won't need it NOW, it's only when you'll start using your new system that you'll know for sure what you need. And usually, using a new, better system than what we had previously does lead to doing more and more things than we thought we'd ever do in the first place. On top of that, they usually cost like 10$-20$ more than their 500-550W counterparts. Another benefit of bigger PSU is more cables, more connectors, and hence easier to manage when building, and easier to upgrade in the future. You may not need the 150W more to power up that extra HDD you'll buy six months from now because you'll have decided your computer is to become the media hub of home entertainment... but you may very well need that free Sata connector on that loose cable at the right place, because the other ones are already tied up in such a way that you just can't undo it without having to reconfigure the whole damn cable management.

With all this in mind, your components are perfect, except for the CPU, you should definitely go with the 3570K.

Thank you all for the help, I very much appreciate it. I am new at building as this is my very first build. If I go with the 3570k cpu and everything else the same, I can overclock it, I can have dual graphics card setup and Crossfire setup ( I dont know what this is yet but I plan on looking). Would the evo 212 hsf be efficient enough to cool the machine down if I were to do the above listed?

Also why is it important to be near a microcenter?

X Fire, Crossfire, CrossfireX are all the same thing. It is AMD/ATI's version of multiple video cards. Multiple nvidia cards is called SLI.

You will want to buy your CPU at Microcenter. They have the best prices by far, but are available in-store only at that price.

The EVO 212 is a great better than average best bang for the $ cooler. Very popular. I use one on another rig.

Careful, don't get high tall heatspreader ram it will block the EVO fan, like many good coolers, and you don't need that tall ram anyway.

Thank you all for the help, I very much appreciate it. I am new at building as this is my very first build. If I go with the 3570k cpu and everything else the same, I can overclock it, I can have dual graphics card setup and Crossfire setup ( I dont know what this is yet but I plan on looking). Would the evo 212 hsf be efficient enough to cool the machine down if I were to do the above listed?

Also why is it important to be near a microcenter?
Microcenter has a $40.00 walk in combo deal on the I5-3570k and a Z77 motherboard. You could get something like this or go with the gigabyte board you chose.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 83
The EVO 212 is a great better than average best bang for the $ cooler. Very popular. I use one on another rig.

Careful, don't get high tall heatspreader ram it will block the EVO fan, like many good coolers, and you don't need that tall ram anyway.

Is the ram I picked going to be a problem blocking the fan?

Microcenter has a $40.00 walk in combo deal on the I5-3570k and a Z77 motherboard. You could get something like this or go with the gigabyte board you chose.

Is there a big difference between the boards? If so, what would be the draw backs?

Thank you very much, I do appreciate the hell out of this.

Is the ram I picked going to be a problem blocking the fan?

Post the EXACT link please, even the manufastureers link please.

Is there a big difference between the boards? If so, what would be the draw backs?

You need nothing fancy on the mobo. You need to wait, sit down and wait till one of our builder experts reply. That is critical. They know about the rebates, package deals, all sorts of goodies. There are two folks missing in replies. Go hang out, have fun, check Monday night.

Thank you very much, I do appreciate the hell out of this.

Those Dram sticks are 30mm tall and will fit fine under the 212+.

As far as the motherboards go the Asrock Extreme 4 is a quality board for the money. The gigabyte you chose is, as well. I have owned both, I like the UEFI Bios on the Asrock better then the old school Bios of the Gigabyte. If you do feel you may overclock in the future I say go for the Asrock and save the $20 or so dollars. If you think you may never overclock you can save some more money and go for a lower end board. One other issue you may have is, sometimes Microcenter doesn't have in stock certain boards, so you'll either have to wait for them to get the Asrock in or go for another such as the Gigabyte.
Will do. Also is that case I posted big enough to put a water cooler in it?
Watercooling? You don't need it, personally I would stick with the Cm 212 it's a great cooler for the money and less quality issues compared to the AIO watercoolers.

I ended up getting this board and cpu.

I will post pictures later tonight of my build.

Also, is there a sound card in any of the stuff I listed or do I have to go buy one?

Back