• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks pretty good. Just a few things.

- ACX cooler on the GPU instead of stock unless you plan on watercooling it right away.
- Those fans are alright at best, might consider something else unless they're super cheap.
- I would look at the 250GB EVO or 256GB Pro, 128GB is pretty small for OS/games.
- PSU is massively overkill, you could run two of those GPUs, with the biggest OC possible on that 4670K, with a full watercooling loop and still have headroom.
- What CPU cooler are you planning to use?

Looks pretty good. Just a few things.

- ACX cooler on the GPU instead of stock unless you plan on watercooling it right away.
- Those fans are alright at best, might consider something else unless they're super cheap.
- I would look at the 250GB EVO or 256GB Pro, 128GB is pretty small for OS/games.
- PSU is massively overkill, you could run two of those GPUs, with the biggest OC possible on that 4670K, with a full watercooling loop and still have headroom.
- What CPU cooler are you planning to use?

wattage requirements have always confused me... say my gpu now (if memory serves) it recommended a psu of at least 500... but then when i think of all of the other components... wouldn't you end up needing a fair amount more then 500? how does that work? (thanks!)

cooling i was going to go with coolermaster evo (id like to replace the stock single fan with matching dual fan... any recommendations?)

on my current rig the 128 has always been enough i've barely ever used my hdd... so i figured id stick with 128 and if down the road i needed more then i could add an hdd.

What fans would you recommend? I'd need 140 x 1 and x 3 200

This is kind of an oddball question but part of me has been thinking maybe i'd be better off ordering laptop... For space and mobility reasons. Though I worry about performance with games. I really don't play anything but SWTOR but still I might want to play something else down the road.

Would you mind looking at the linked laptop and giving me your opinion on it's performance vs my current rig (signature.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...31090&ef_id=UxP1qgAAAWfo6kqy:20140303223417:s

It has a gtx770m
ssd
hdd
2.4 GHz Core i7-4700HQ
16 gb ram 1600 mhz

Thank you guys soooo much!!!

*Edit***

I ended up just ordering the 780 and i'm going to put it into my current rig... Do you see any issues? Thanks!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130917

Last edited:
Just a few answers:

The PSU requirements would be for the entire non-OCed system, and even then like PSU calculators, they tend to greatly overestimate to cover their own *** against someone buying a shady supply and trying to OC stuff.

I think the laptop would be slower CPU wise if you don't take advantage of the hyperthreading, which many games won't (2.4ghz mobile cpu vs 3.5ghz desktop, I doubt even the newer architecture can overcome that big of a gap, especially if you OC the 3570k). Also, looking at GPU benchmarks, the 770M is (slightly) outpaced by the 7970M, the desktop 7970 is bound to be faster than both.

And to finish it off, the 780 should be fine, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Just a few answers:

The PSU requirements would be for the entire non-OCed system, and even then like PSU calculators, they tend to greatly overestimate to cover their own *** against someone buying a shady supply.

I think the laptop would be slower CPU wise if you don't take advantage of the hyperthreading, which many games won't (2.4ghz mobile cpu vs 3.5ghz desktop, I doubt even the newer architecture can overcome that big of a gap, especially if you OC the 3570k). Also, looking at GPU benchmarks, the 770M is (slightly) outpaced by the 7970M, the desktop 7970 is bound to be faster than both.

And to finish it off, the 780 should be fine, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I really appreciate your input! Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my thread.

Back