• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Builder..Help Tweak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pbcranium202

I've never built before. I've had a good teacher help point me in the right direction. Just posting the build we've come up with to have some help tweaking. The most strenuous thing it will do for now is WOW, Diablo III, Adobe Photoshop. I will be overclocking...looking for between 3.6-4.0. Any advice would be appreciated.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound

2x Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan

I've chosen several optical drives off of newegg, and they keep running out of stock. Any input into good drives (DVD burner and lightscribe) would be appreciated. In reality its going to wait until I'm ready to buy the components around the 25th, that way I know its in stock. I'm sticking with Newegg for anything possible largely because of how new I am at this and how easy they make everything as far as returning dead parts and such. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
suggestions

Good kit. Its really down to what the motherboard can do. I expect that CPU will easily reach 3.6GHz. I dont think 4GHz will be too much of a push either. Many people have reached 4.6 on air, though I dont expect the rig would last too long clocked to that frequency. I would suggest you start by upping the Bus, but dont tie it to the RAM or the GPU. You should reach about 3.6GHz without even increasing the CPU Voltage, but if there is a setting in the Bios to let the system up the Voltage as required choose that.

Search this site for suggestions (E8400, GA-EP45-UD3P) and have a look here,

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/intel-wolfdale_12.html#sect0

GL

You've all good, top end solid stuff there it looks to me.

:beer:

I'd get a bigger case is all myself I like towers but that one works I guess.

I like wide open spaces, like the 1200 here.

Maybe try a Cool Master HAF out I heard they were nice and was gonna build my friend one soon maybe using things very similar on your list there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Last edited:
Look at the sticky about overclocking quads as it will have relevant info to your situation.
I have learned a few things while reading that article and it should help you as well.
good Luck, and may the overclocking gods smile upon you :)

Back