• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Built - Motherboard unsure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

I am building a computer for a friend mainly for audio production, but still unsure about the best motherboard because the z77's I've seen all have some problems. This is what I have...

CPU - Intel i5 3570k
HEATSINK - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212+ (PUSH\PULL)
MOTHERBOARD - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 :confused:
MEMORY - G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
PSU - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W
CASE - Rosewill BLACKHAWK
HARD DRIVE - Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM
DVD-R\W - Lite-On 24x
FANS - Case Stock (4-120mm, 1-140mm)

Will be using the integrated graphics as well.

dja2k

Last edited:
I am building a budget computer for a friend mainly for audio production, but still unsure about the best motherboard because the z77's I've seen all have some problems. This is what I have...

CPU - Intel i5 3570k
HEATSINK - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212+ (PUSH\PULL)
MOTHERBOARD - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 :confused:
MEMORY - G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
PSU - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W
CASE - Rosewill BLACKHAWK
HARD DRIVE - Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM
DVD-R\W - Lite-On 24x
FANS - Case Stock (4-120mm, 1-140mm)

Will be using the integrated graphics as well.

dja2k

building it with an i5 3570 is hardly a budget build. When i read budget i think sub $500... possibly lower. could you describe what type of budget he's working with? what type of use he wants out of it. so on and so forth?

Someone working with it for audio editing or recording will want as silent a pc box as he can get. Which is very different from what you're building atm.

I've used the Extreme3, Extreme4, Extreme6, Gigabyte UD3H, Gigabyte UD5H, and the ASUS P8Z77-V and -V Pro. Frankly the only difference between them all was bells and whistles, they all seemed the same for 24/7 usage.

+1. That looks like a gaming build minus...not an audio production build. You'd also need to know how his stuff interfaces with the computer, whether through USB, Firewire, or MIDI.

Haha well the man wants a powerful computer, quad-core to begin with. The case well he wants a case for future expansions whether it be from the front 5.25 bays or extra PCI slots. Main interface is firewire. Everything I picked was for a purpose, i5 3570k because it has a rebate, overclocks, and it has Intel 4000 graphics integrated as I am not putting dedicated video card. The PSU because its cheap, 3year warranty and does the job. The hard drive because its reliable, fast, and has a 5 year warranty and no SSD because of price. About the motherboard, well it comes down to how reliable it is and which one has the less trouble RMA'ing it if needed.

Last edited:
Haha well the man wants a powerful computer, quad-core to begin with. The case well he wants a case for future expansions whether it be from the front 5.25 bays or extra PCI slots. Main interface is firewire. Everything I picked was for a purpose, i5 3570k because it has a rebate, overclocks, and it has Intel 4000 graphics integrated as I am not putting dedicated video card. The PSU because its cheap, 3year warranty and does the job. The hard drive because its reliable, fast, and has a 5 year warranty and no SSD because of price. About the motherboard, well it comes down to how reliable it is and which one has the less trouble RMA'ing it if needed.

intel 4000 graphics is not a gaming build at all.

if he wants quad core, gaming, cheep and audio studio stuff he'll probably be shooting for an A10 trinity.

I'll put a build together or two... but the A10 will blow the 3570 out of the water just looking at on board gpus; audio stuff isn't too system intensive either; it will save you a few hundred bucks as well.

There are much quieter cases that still have room for expansion...Fractal Design comes to mind.

AFAIK, WD Blacks are not the quietest HDDs either.

My first chose was the A10 5800k but didn't know what motherboard to go with. The case I already own and selling it, so gotta work with that; it's a great case and with modified fans, its quiet. I know about the Fractal Designs case, I have one which I bought on sale, but would have gotten the Fractal Design Define R4 for myself if it wasn't for price at that time.

There will be no gaming as far as I know. I will go for the A10-5800k if its good enough but need to see the motherboards for AMD.

AFAIK, WD Blacks are not the quietest HDDs either.
You should see what he used before, then you will see they are quiet in comparison :)

dja2k

Last edited:
CPU: AMD A10-5800K ($129.99 @ Newegg)
MB: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M ($80.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 ($46.99 @ Newegg)
SSD: Samsung 830 ($169.95 @ B&H)
PSU: SeaSonic X Series Fanless 460W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V ($145.17 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NoFan CR-95C IcePipe Fanless CPU Cooler ($88.95 @ xoxide.com)
Total: $650.03

This is as quiet and as strong as i can make you. the psu and cpu cooler are completely fanless. There is an ssd to knock out the noise from the hard-drive. the motherboard is solid, and has room for a soundcard if it's inadequate for his needs.

the question is, is your old case big enough for the cpu cooler? the cpu cooler needs a well ventilated case, not nessessarily a lot of case fans or high airflow... just natural convection... even a little will make a world of difference. if your old case isn't one of those, you'll need to go with either water cooled or a really slow silent fan on a HR02 to hit what he's probably needing for noise dampening.

Last edited:
CPU: AMD A10-5800K ($129.99 @ Newegg)
MB: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M ($80.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 ($46.99 @ Newegg)
SSD: Samsung 830 ($169.95 @ B&H)
PSU: SeaSonic X Series Fanless 460W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V ($145.17 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NoFan CR-95C IcePipe Fanless CPU Cooler ($88.95 @ xoxide.com)
Total: $650.03

This is as quiet and as strong as i can make you. the psu and cpu cooler are completely fanless. There is an ssd to knock out the noise from the hard-drive. the motherboard is solid, and has room for a soundcard if it's inadequate for his needs.

the question is, is your old case big enough for the cpu cooler? the cpu cooler needs a well ventilated case, not nessessarily a lot of case fans or high airflow... just natural convection... even a little will make a world of difference. if your old case isn't one of those, you'll need to go with either water cooled or a really slow silent fan on a HR02 to hit what he's probably needing for noise dampening.
Can't use that board, need legacy PCI slots. The memory, wouldn't go with Patriot rather get G.Skill Sniper 1866 because of height. Rather go with my first choice COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 with 135mm fan. The Hyper212+ is silent makes hardly an noticeable noise.

Thanks for all the replies, but he is still persistent on getting that i5. I would get him an SSD but he wants the space. oh well. I am just going to get him the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO board and get it over with. He is willing to pay and can't say no to that haha.

dja2k

Thanks for all the replies, but he is still persistent on getting that i5. I would get him an SSD but he wants the space. oh well. I am just going to get him the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO board and get it over with. He is willing to pay and can't say no to that haha.

dja2k

if he's insistent on getting the i5, then get him an i5. Tell him that the a10 will destroy the i5 in gaming, without a discrete card, but the i5 will destroy the a10 with one.

In the end he'll be able to make an informed choice. If he's going intel, you can scale the ram back to something cheaper. I was going with the 1866, because APUs eat up fast ram, they can't get enough of it; an APU with fast ram will turn in at something silly like 30% faster benches alone. For intel systems there is almost no performance difference between fast and slow ram.

as for sound. someone doing sound recording needs a higher standard of quiet then you or I might appreciate. Having done some boxes for guys working in sound recording, i can assure you the 212 is too loud unless you have a sound dampening box. Get him a HR-02 and throw a very slow and quiet Nocturna on it. That's the type of silence he'll be needing. get him the silent psu, make sure all the case fans are soundless, and on some sort of fan control. Basically when building such a box, you want it so quiet, you can't tell if it's on or not when you turn it on.

Back