• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New China-only-ish Ryzen 5 3500x ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

TLDR - Better than expected, most of the time keeps up with the 2600x and sometimes the 2700x even with lack of SMT. Gaming on a budget :thup:

Haven't watched one of his vids in a while, but this CPU was curious enough I sat through this one. Well, I don't think I'll be returning any time soon. Not questioning the test results, but still think the presentation and conclusions are off the mark. Most of the 1st half of the video was on productivity which anyone likely to go for the CPU will not care about. At most it should be a limited section at the end of the video. Main focus should be more on gaming, which was leaning a bit much towards newer/heavier titles. Should have had more popular e-sport and long standing titles like Fortnite or Overwatch. Even on those titles where the lows suffered a bit, it was still over 60 fps, and with a variable refresh monitor that's still fine.

Rant over, on the CPU itself, I still think on paper it is interesting but it depends on pricing in that niche. Recognising not everyone has a big budget, I'd still set the floor at the 3600 for a new build today. If you can't stretch to that, you'll have to optimise more carefully for whatever is important for that user.

Not a huge fan of that dude either...

anyway, tough to benchmark 'esports' titles that do not have an integrated benchmark. Consistency in a multi-player game (like fortnite, pubg, apex, etc) isn't there in the first place.

As for the CPU, it is an interesting ditty and was wondering if we would see some non SMT enabled CPUs in Zen 2. Pricing will make or break this.

Newegg Canada has the 3500X listed at 499.99 and on sale for 339.99, sold by a third party shipped from China.

https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-5-3500x/p/274-000M-001B6

Doesn't make sense since the 3600X is listed on sale at 269.99.

Its 158.95 CAD with shipping under 10 bucks at Aliexpress. Amazon Canada has the 2600X for 145, 2700 for 170, and 2700X for 200 CAD. I almost bought one. I might buy one of these instead.. but I don't know.. I guess if I don't like it I can give it to my kids.

Back