• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer operating system, xp or vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MRD said:
Actually, SilverSinkSam had all kinds of problems just being able to watch DVD's at full resolution in Vista, to the point where I believe he took his Vista disk and shot it (literally).

The DRM in Vista is a lot more onerous and prevents you from doing a lot of things that XP lets you get away with. Also, if in doubt, Vista assumes you are doing something illegal, and blocks you, while XP lets you get away with it in most cases.

I wouldn't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole. Vista's DRM is the reason I stopped buying Microsoft products and migrated to Linux (Win 2K is the last Microsoft product I purchased).

Hmmm...did he ever figure out what the deal was with that? I've not had one problem playing DVD's, movies from files (in several different formats) I've not tried an HD movie, but only because none of my equipment is HD (my CRT will only display 1280x1024) and also because I don't have the discs or player for it.

But plain old DVD's work just fine for me, both in playing on the monitor and outputting to my TV. :shrug:

I've not had a single issue with vista ultimate here. Runs just as smooth as xp did. Games play just the same. No DRM issues either. And like mentioned earlier drm issues are the fault of the studios anyways.

Again, loving my Vista 64-bit Home Premium OEM on my rig. Plays all the latest games flawlessly as well as handling 64-bit rendering appz and all that.

I don't use my PC for movies, I enjoy lights out and sitting back on the sofa and watching a movie on the tube. There's just something very ... disassociative might be the word.. about movies on the PC. Just not the same for me. Kinda like viewing pics on the PC. Convenient, but nothing beats photos in an album that you can touch and all that.

MRD said:
Actually, SilverSinkSam had all kinds of problems just being able to watch DVD's at full resolution in Vista, to the point where I believe he took his Vista disk and shot it (literally).

Actually I have the issue of watching DVD's on my system too. I've done so much to my install before trying that though im not sure if it was the OS at fault or my doing but since others aren't having issues I think it was me. Sure I can run it with a 3rd party app in the background running though.

Then again I rarely did that and just have a TV and DVD player next to me so the point is moot in my book. I know DVD playback works on other Vista systems since I've seen it personally.

No DVD (or any video file) playback issues so far on my machine either.

DRM is a boogeyman. In its current form there doesn't seem to be any impact on using my files the way I want. If that day comes I'll address it.

Vista Home Premium came with my new PC so I didn't exactly pay for it (it's such a small factor in the cost of an OEM PC). I don't think I would spend $200+ on Vista Home Premium right now, the cost benefit isn't there. But if you're getting it for much less or included with an OEM build, then I wouldn't dissuade anyone either.

chrispycrunch said:
Why does XP not support DX10? That means if i spend a bunch on an 8x00 card, I still need to spend more on vista upgrade?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=519401

You may not need to upgrade to Vista (for dx10), it looks like dx10 will work in XP (as soon as it's released for XP). This is contrary to what was originally thought, but it looks like a concession has been made and it opens the door to the possibility of XP using dx10.

jivetrky said:
Any game out now should play on Vista...but a DirectX10 game will not play on XP.

I seriously doubt that they'll make it so people HAVE to use DX10. Maybe eventually, but it seems like (at least initially) it would hurt sales drastically if they narrowed their market to just DX10 users.

crossed_wires said:
I seriously doubt that they'll make it so people HAVE to use DX10. Maybe eventually, but it seems like (at least initially) it would hurt sales drastically if they narrowed their market to just DX10 users.

Yeah, it would be better if they DO release it for XP, I'm just going on what's been said about it up until now.

Back