• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new computer specs advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

namrog84

Registered
ok heres some of the specs of my new rig,

I planned on getting primarily from newegg, considering few other places. I do games/3d graphics/dvdripping. It doesnt matter on overclocking capabilities as much. any advice or opinions. trying to keep it cheap(under 750). and im trying to stay low temp, quiet, and low priced. (lasting 3 years ish)

amd athlon 64 x64 3800+ 1ghz fsb 939 90nm

(company?)( 2 x 1gb) 184 pin ddr sdram ddr400(pc3200) unbufered

2 x geforce 6600(plain or gt?) pci express SLI'd
should i get plain or gt? or should i only get 1 card and get a single 6800gt?

motherboard(no clue) any advice? DFI?

powersupply, no clue, something cheap,quiet, and low temp
also need fans/heatsink for processer/ram?

Opteron 146 $165
OCZ 2x1GB Value Series $200
eVGA 6800GS $200
ASUS A8N-E $100
Forton AX500-A $70ish

Close enough to your max budget.

Well I don't know if you'll end up like the rest of us...

Lasting 3yrs? My current box has lasted roughly 3mos and I am already going to tear it down and build a new one :D

made a mitake in the original post

amd athlon 64 x64 3800+ 1ghz fsb 939 90nm
i meant for it to be a

Dual core amd athlon 64 ......

darksparkz i liked everything else, any advice on dual core?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Proc $322.00

Well the Opteron 165 is also a dual core at 1.8ghz, which is the same as the X2 3800+. But then the Opteron 165 has 2x1MB of L2 Cache, while the X2 3800+ only has 2x512KB of L2 Cache. Plus, the dual core Opterons have been seen to be able to hit 2.8ghz pretty decently, while X2 3800+ averages at around 2.6ghz-2.7ghz on OCing. The lower stock voltages on the Opteron would allow it to be able to run cooler as well.

The reason I choose the ASUS A8N-E over the DFI Ultra-D was because he wasn't planning to OC, so it might be easier to have a rock stable simpler board. But then if you want to OC, the DFi wouldn't be too far away in price as compared to that ASUS board, but then the DFi might be a tad troublesome for some users. Theres this Epox board that's really well for beginner OCings.

yeah i know i previously said i didnt want to oc, but ive been reading a bit, and i think i might do some OCing. isnt the opteron 165 a bit more expensive than the x2 3800. and which epox board is that?

OCZ 2x1GB Value Series $200
eVGA 6800GS $200
changing? ASUS A8N-E $100
Forton AX500-A $70ish

how does a 30$ PW change from a 70$ to a 150$, in the past i always got 20-30, and they always worked just fine for me, always went with 500-550's and probably never pushed my computer because ive always had heat problems.

If you've always gotten $20-30 psu, you've either gotten quality budget like sparkle, or you've been very lucky. Since you've got a duel core cpu, and a power hungry videocard, if you want to OC get the fortron 500w. If you decide to run at stock, a fortron 400w or 460w with a strong 12v rail will work as well.

Since you're gaming, try to get the cheapest duel core amd, and try to bump that videocard up if you can.

I have decided to get into the overclocking alot so here is what ive gotten down so far. (btw thanks for all the help)

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ 90nm ( $322 @ newegg) planning to OC
considered an amd opteron 165 but couldnt find better than 330 at tigersdirect( but i hear bad things about them?? true or false??(thou i dont mind takin a small chance) 2nd best would be monarch computers at 358. unless a better price exsists, is it worth the xtra 20-50$ for a opteron 165 over a athlon 64 x2 3800

they both are 64 bit and dual core, all i heard was that opteron had bigger cache, and opteron OC's a lil higher( with/without xtra voltage? )

OCZ 2x1GB Value Series ($202@ newegg)

or shold i throw down an xtra 16$ and get
OCZ Performance 2GB (2 x1 GB) (2 x 1GB) ($218 @ newegg)(comes with heat spreader while other doesnt, and i dont have any not currently being used free)

eVGA 6800GS ($209 @ newegg) with possibility of SLI in next 6-12 months(if mb supports or modded)

DFI LANPARTY UT nForce4 Ultra-D (113.00 @ newegg)
should i get the DFI LP SLI or the ultra-D? SLI has future potential to SLI, but is it worth it the xtra $xx?? or would it be cheaper in the future to buy a whole new videocard + possibly another mb?
ive read a little bit about it not supporting SLI can be easily fixed wth some physical/software mods? i am confident in my abilities to do that. if its gonna save me $30

Fortron AX500-A $79.49+free shipping

total 925 (hoping to cut this down at least to 850-?) might wait till this stuff can be goten for 850- combined, unless someone suggests something else, or better sites) I dont need the computer right this minute, i might wait till after christmas to see if possible drop.

Last but not least, unless it comes with it, waht else do i need
CPU heatubes/sink/fan ( planning on OC'ing) stock included not work?
im all out of pasty cpu stuff, any suggestions?

k, so no SLI, so i guess ill get opteron 165 from tigers, for 330 (+8 from original)
and change the ram. thou the ram you suggested other posts on the board said 50% of people could only overclock it a lil, and other 50% alot, what exactly influences which 50% your in? Motherboard or power supply? They are great price( save me 20$) but im sure they will run fine stock, but how about Ocing, am i gonna be stuck at a 225 oc(bad 50%), or like 275 oc(good 50%)

that would work out good, total out about 915ish, i could handle that i guess, espically with some awesome OC'ing

If it is the mobo and/or power supply that determines it, you shouldn't have to worry. The DFI LP Ultra-D and Fortron 500W Blue Storm are great for overclocking. Even if it turns out you get a "bad" pair, you can still overclock the processor further and use dividers for the memory. Unfortunately I don't know much about this, so if anyone has used this RAM, please step in.

to add another other thing for someone whos been watching the prices, the things i listed in one of my recent replies, how do you think that the 6800gs and opteron 165 will be doing for dropping in price in next, lets say 20-30 days?

anyone suggestions for christmas(prior/after) any advise on when would be optimal time to buy?

Back