• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new computer wont post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jdubb

Registered
So i bought the parts to build my computer put everything together it powered up fine all the fans kicked on fine but it did not post and the cpu phase light wouldnt light up past one ( out of four ). i tried disconnecting all but the major components then powered it on same thing.. if anyone has any ideas that would be great here are my system specs:

motherboard: msi NF759-G55
Cpu: AMD ATH x4 640 3.0g Am3
Ram: 1x corsair vengence 4gb
Video card: VGA XFX HD-667X-ZAF3 HD6670 1G
Powersupply: Raidmax 730 watt
Harddrive: Western Digital 500gb
CD drive: liteon

cpu stuck in phase one

So i bought the parts to build my computer put everything together it powered up fine all the fans kicked on fine but it did not post and the cpu phase light wouldnt light up past one ( out of four ). i tried disconnecting all but the major components then powered it on same thing.. if anyone has any ideas that would be great here are my system specs:

motherboard: msi NF759-G55
Cpu: AMD ATH x4 640 3.0g Am3
Ram: 1x corsair vengence 4gb
Video card: VGA XFX HD-667X-ZAF3 HD6670 1G
Powersupply: Raidmax 730 watt
Harddrive: Western Digital 500gb
CD drive: liteon

I cannot find that motherboard listed on MSI's web site. Nor does googling turn up anything. Check the model number as you typed it or please provide a link to info about the board so I can check out the CPU compatibility list for your board.

You might be better to RMA that board now and not waste a lot of time based on the latest user reviews at NewEgg.

Should link to NewEgg Customer Review for the motherboard.
Out of the first few later NewEgg user reviews, this is what the actual users say about that board,

1. > Easy install and functioned well... while it functioned.

Cons: Worked well for about two weeks then my computer started turning off. RMAd the motherboard.

2. > Started out strong...

Cons: Computer just shut down and would not power up. Power supply worked, so I RMAed

3. > My friends stopped making fun of me for keeping a fire extinguisher in my room.

Cons: This board literally caught fire. The CPU power plug shorted and flames shot out.

4. > haven't been able to get it past the startup graphic

Cons: DOA

Okay, you in your original post you typed NF759 not NF750. That makes more sense. The CPU is compatible.

Is this your first build?

Check for several things:
1. Make sure both the 24 pin main ATX power connector and the 4/8 pin 12v+ auxillary power connector are plugged in to the motherboard.
2. Make sure your video card and your ram are properly seated
3. Make sure you have the direct power lead from the PSU connected to your video card if it requires that in addition to getting power from the PCIE slot.
4. Since your are using only one stick of ram make sure you have it inserted into the proper slot for using a single stick configuration. Check the motherboard manual. Just curious as to why you bought one 4 gb stick of ram as that means you will be operating in single channel mode. It would have been better to a buy 2x2 gb dual channel kit from a performance standpoint.
5. If none of the above works, remove your heatsink/fan and the CPU and check the CPU for bent pins.
6. If none of the above serves to reveal the problem, remove the motherboard and other components from the case and assemble them on the desktop. See if it will boot up outside the case. Many beginner builders will put a standoff in the wrong place on the motherboard tray so that it grounds out against the underside of the motherboard.

your really gonna hate me now.. i have done all of the above and same problem each time i have even tried no video and using on board vga.. removed the cpu and looks in perfect shape it came out of package and straight onto socket ram i have in first slot clost to cpu which i belive is proper placement.. have removed and re-seated it same problem each time and i currently have motherboard out of case

I merged your threads for you. Please try not to double-post. Good luck with your problem!

Thanks,
hokie

its brand new straight out of the box not even 12 hours old

its brand new straight out of the box not even 12 hours old

It happens. Did your read the NewEgg reviews?

Of course, if you have access to other components its a good idea to install your CPU, your memory and your video card in another system to make sure the failure is not caused by another component besides the motherboard. And if you can borrow another PSU and plug it into your system, try that angle too.

My suggestion to you is never to go with an Nvidia chipset board on an AMD platform. Nvidia chipsets are almost extinct now on the AMD side.

Back